Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave T

2014 Squads

65 posts in this topic

Fair enough, valid enough reasons mate, not that I agree.

On your points about our three-quarters - the four in question have returned:

63 tries in 2013

74 tries in 2012

67 tries in 2011

So yes, I think they will worry plenty of defences.

Our main issue imho is if Ratchford can make that number 6 spot his own and control the team like Briers used to.

That will be a big factor for Wire this year...........

Is the responsibility on Ratchford and Myler to create and provide opportunities for the team in the big games going to be to much for them to handle?

That will be a big factor for Wire this year...........

Is the responsibility on Ratchford and Myler to create and provide opportunities for the team in the big games going to be to much for them to handle?

Will be interesting to watch.

One thing that did happen plenty last year was we had to rotate our key positions. Our 1, 6 and 7 were:

Ratchford, Briers, Grix 

Ratchford, Briers, Myler

Hodgson, Briers, Myler

Hodgson, Briers, Ratchford

Hodgson, Ratchford, Monaghan

Hodgson, Ratchford, Myler

and so on, and whilst we weren't brilliant, we didn't go too badly.

Whilst Hodgson was on his last legs so to speak he was a superb organiser and had a wealth of experience, which was exactly the same with Briers............to lose both, particularly Briers might take a season and the addition of an experienced half to overcome for Wire.

By the end of the year, I expect Wigan's starting 13 to be:

Bowen - Josh - Goulding - Thornley - Burgess - Hampshire - Smith

Taylor - McIllorum - Flower - Bateman - Farrell - Lockers

With a shadow 13 of

Sarginson - Manfredi - Gellng - Lloyd - Tierney - Green - Powell

Crosby - Tomkins - Dudson - Hughes - Pettybourne - Burke

And further opportunities for

Clubb - Greenwood - Powell - Williams - Hopkins - Lauaki (?)

Overall, once Hampshire and Bateman have settled in, we'll be stronger for the development of the young players and the additional strength in depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few from the shadow 13 really develop into class acts. Not sure where Clubb and Hopkins will play, prop perhaps?

As a Wigan fan, I am really looking forward to seeing how the forwards I've highlighted in bold will go this year.

There are others of interest (Clubb, Lauaki, Dudson, even Flower) and, to a lesser extent, Powell - who I don't think will make the squad regularly - but these are a bit more of a known force, whereas the ones in bold are by and large young or are new to Super League and I'm curious to see if any of them can become world class. I know Bateman has already been Rookie of the Year but let's see if he can back it up and become a SL force.

Mike

Whilst Hodgson was on his last legs so to speak he was a superb organiser and had a wealth of experience, which was exactly the same with Briers............to lose both, particularly Briers might take a season and the addition of an experienced half to overcome for Wire.

I think Ratchford is 25 and Myler is 24 so basically now is their time to shine rather than bringing in somebody new. IMHO Myler is more than good enough, and the development of Grix in recent years will hopefully have him as a third pivot at 13 as I'm not convinced Russell is a pivot at 1 in the same way Hodgson was.

Personally I think this is where Wigan's strength will be in 2014.............their recruitment.

Sarginson, Clubb, Pettybourne, Bateman and Bowen are very good additions to an already strong and established squad.

The only two areas that are of concern would be who will be first choice on the left wing and goal kicking, as replacing somebody of the calibre of Pat Richards when it comes to kicking is virtually impossible and he has single handedly dug them out of a hole or two over the past few seasons with his boot.

I think Ratchford is 25 and Myler is 24 so basically now is their time to shine rather than bringing in somebody new. IMHO Myler is more than good enough, and the development of Grix in recent years will hopefully have him as a third pivot at 13 as I'm not convinced Russell is a pivot at 1 in the same way Hodgson was.

Where do you see Gareth obrian in the equation. Surely his chance is now?

By the end of the year, I expect Wigan's starting 13 to be:

Bowen - Josh - Goulding - Thornley - Burgess - Hampshire - Smith

Taylor - McIllorum - Flower - Bateman - Farrell - Lockers

With a shadow 13 of

Sarginson - Manfredi - Gellng - Lloyd - Tierney - Green - Powell

Crosby - Tomkins - Dudson - Hughes - Pettybourne - Burke

And further opportunities for

Clubb - Greenwood - Powell - Williams - Hopkins - Lauaki (?)

Overall, once Hampshire and Bateman have settled in, we'll be stronger for the development of the young players and the additional strength in depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few from the shadow 13 really develop into class acts. Not sure where Clubb and Hopkins will play, prop perhaps?

I can't honestly see Green being pushed out of the stand-off role by any of the youngsters next season.

I also think we will see a lot more of Pettybourne at prop than you might expect.

Neither Richards nor Botica were "regular" kickers prior to taking in the role, so we have shown it's a skill that can be taught/learnt. Hampshire is the best kicker, but the word on the street is that Smith is likely to be handed the opportunity.

I think it's a long time since i saw such a competitive looking set up,  I am really looking forward to the coming season, It has the potential to be a real cracker.

Where do you see Gareth obrian in the equation. Surely his chance is now?

Id expect to see a fair bit of him if Ratchford has to cover 1 or 3 or O'B will cover for the halves when injured.

Personally I think this is where Wigan's strength will be in 2014.............their recruitment.

Sarginson, Clubb, Pettybourne, Bateman and Bowen are very good additions to an already strong and established squad.

The only two areas that are of concern would be who will be first choice on the left wing and goal kicking, as replacing somebody of the calibre of Pat Richards when it comes to kicking is virtually impossible and he has single handedly dug them out of a hole or two over the past few seasons with his boot.

whilst they are good signings, they had to replace real quality in Tomkins, Richards, Mossop and Hansen.

Neither Richards nor Botica were "regular" kickers prior to taking in the role, so we have shown it's a skill that can be taught/learnt. Hampshire is the best kicker, but the word on the street is that Smith is likely to be handed the opportunity.

The more kickers, the better. I hate to see a team's ability to kick points completely vanish when just one player is unavailable for whatever reason. It implies a lack of foresight and preparation.

looked over comments and believe Wire will have a better pack than last year and bigger. Hill, asotasi, wood, England, westwood, waterhouse, currie, grix plus backup from Harrison,riley,evans,bridge and a couple of youngsters. 2 established halves with Obrien as cover and now pace as an option in the backs. out of the movers from last year Briers will be missed on the field but he missed a lot of games so we are used to not having him for lots of matches, Wigan have good squad in depth and will be organised, giants look as good,

Saints and Leeds will be there but I see catalan and Salford causing problems but not consistent.

whilst they are good signings, they had to replace real quality in Tomkins, Richards, Mossop and Hansen.

We have 4 out of 5 of the spine of the team going round again.

We shall see how much we miss the others, but a fit Bowen can contribute as much as Sam last year, and if we can develop a good kicker we needn't lose any sleep over Richards. Sadly, he was never the same after his Achilles. We have far more attacking options in the second row. We could miss Mossop, as we haven't signed a like for like. Be fascinating to see how Wane intends to cover this. Having seen us perform in the knock out games last year, I can't wait to see how this squad goes this time around.

We shall see how much we miss the others, but a fit Bowen can contribute as much as Sam last year, and if we can develop a good kicker we needn't lose any sleep over Richards. Sadly, he was never the same after his Achilles. We have far more attacking options in the second row. We could miss Mossop, as we haven't signed a like for like. Be fascinating to see how Wane intends to cover this. Having seen us perform in the knock out games last year, I can't wait to see how this squad goes this time around.

Pettybourne covers Mossop, and will probably be a bit more dynamic than he was, without losing any of the toughness.

Yes, I think that's a real bonus for Wigan, my point was really that through their recruitment they are probably not going to step up a gear, more protect against what they have lost.

Yes, I think that's a real bonus for Wigan, my point was really that through their recruitment they are probably not going to step up a gear, more protect against what they have lost.

I can't think of any team, Salford apart, whose recruitment for next season represents a massive leap in quality on their 2013 squad.

As was pointed out earlier, Saints will have an actual half-back, but still have a ###### coach. Wire have lost a lot with the retirement of Briers, Hodgson, and the sale of Morley, without making any stellar signings to replace them. Leeds will be essentially the same team, but another year older.

It's about time clubs started relying on the youngsters they bring through, and I hope that we are now starting to see that happen.

I can't think of any team, Salford apart, whose recruitment for next season represents a massive leap in quality on their 2013 squad.

As was pointed out earlier, Saints will have an actual half-back, but still have a ###### coach. Wire have lost a lot with the retirement of Briers, Hodgson, and the sale of Morley, without making any stellar signings to replace them. Leeds will be essentially the same team, but another year older.

It's about time clubs started relying on the youngsters they bring through, and I hope that we are now starting to see that happen.

yep would agree with that - best that clubs fill their squads from below.

theres some good young uns ready to step up at leeds  . would guess 2015 will be the big leap of faith in new blood by leeds

theres some good young uns ready to step up at leeds . would guess 2015 will be the big leap of faith in new blood by leeds

Leeds 1-5 in Hardaker, T Briscoe, Watkins, Moon and Hall is possibly the best, most exciting and potent back line I can recall in the last 6-8 years, certainly since the St Helens back line of the early 2000's.

McGuire and Burrow at 6 and 7 is tried and tested.

Aiton is a great signing at 9 and is possibly what Leeds have been missing.

The pack is solid and full of both youth and experience and top top it all of Sir Kevin is at 13.........enough said, I think!

Leeds 1-5 in Hardaker, T Briscoe, Watkins, Moon and Hall is possibly the best, most exciting and potent back line I can recall in the last 6-8 years, certainly since the St Helens back line of the early 2000's.

McGuire and Burrow at 6 and 7 is tried and tested.

Aiton is a great signing at 9 and is possibly what Leeds have been missing.

The pack is solid and full of both youth and experience and top top it all of Sir Kevin is at 13.........enough said, I think!

Yep, I have to completely agree with everything you've said!

A solid 5th place for Leeds

On paper I think man for man we at Bradford have done just about better, it's perked my interest anyway. However many actually stay until February at least is a question that remains!

And as for the young lads, we do try, but we keep selling them!

As for the thread, by my watch only Bradford, Catalan and London haven't officially announced their 2014 squad numbers so far, some for obvious reasons...