Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave T

2014 Squads

65 posts in this topic

As for the thread, by my watch only Bradford, Catalan and London haven't officially announced their 2014 squad numbers so far, some for obvious reasons...

O'Brien 9. Let's hope so, anyway.

We don't look too bad on the face of it - confidence and attitude will be the big factors for us though.  I think given the circumstances FC has put a competitive squad together, and is an improvement on recent seasons.  It's not his fault that we've had to let Bateman and Whitehead go.  I think Curtis Naughton would have played quite a few games as well had he stayed.  The problem, as in many recent seasons will be depth, there just isn't any of note beyond the obvious.

Potential run on...

1. Kearney

2. Kear

3. Blythe

4. Henry

5. Foster

6. Sammut

7. Gale

8. Scruton

9. Diskin

10. Manuokafoa

11. Olbison

12. Ferguson

13. Addy

O'Brien

Sidlow

Carvell

Donaldson

Cover

Purtell

Gaskell

Walker

George

Roberts

Wood

Looks like only Huddersfield are running a feeder team this year.

:tongue:

Where Wigan are concerned I can't see younger players ousting Green from 6 although the club has an abundance of halves.

Green/Smith first team, Sarginson/Powell played halves for the Knights, Hampshire/Williams are EnglandU19s halves.

Pettybourne to replace Mossop I'd imagine, also Clubb to replace Hansen as a right sided 2nd row. Burgess is my bet to replace Richards at 5 long term. If he does then Wigan have blistering pace at 1,2 & 5.

As has been said, goal kicker is an important job now Richards has gone. Smith is fav with Charnley behind, also I think Bowen used to be goalkicker for NQC prior to Thurston taking over the job.

Catalans have now announced their 2014 squad. Changes from last year Escare (for Cardace) and Whitehead (for Larroyer) listed along with three new antipodeans Oldfield, Pomeroy and Lima. Taia takes Menzies 11, Oldfield takes 5 Blanch and Lima takes 10 Casty. Frayssinous has 35 training including the apprentices. Presentation evening this year is at St Esteve Tuesday 21st January organised by the penyas (supporters clubs). A bus is taking I think a crowd from the Carcassonne branch.

1 : Brent Webb

2 : Morgan Escaré

3 : Leon Pryce

4 : Ben Pomeroy

5 : Michael Oldfield

6 : Thomas Bosc

7 : Scott Dureau

8 : Olivier Elima

9 : Ian Henderson

10 : Jeff Lima

11 : Zeb Taia

12 : Louis Anderson

13 : Greg Mounis

14 : William Barthau

15 : Antoni Maria

16 : Eloi Pelissier

17 : Elliott Whitehead

18 : Daryl Millard

19 : Mathias Pala

20 : Michael Simon

21 : Julian Bousquet

22 : Jamal Fakir

23 : Lopini Paea

24 : Jason Baitieri

25 : Vincent Duport

Good to see for the first time French staff taking over the training & fitness work with the tandem Fred Marcerou & Benoit Albert following Australian Adam Trypas's move to Munster.

Wakefield Trinity - UPDATED

1. Richard MATHERS

2. Peter FOX

3. Dean COLLIS

4. Lee SMITH

5. Reece LYNE

6. Paul SYKES

7. Pita GODINET

8. Scott ANDERSON

9. Paul McSHANE

10. Andy RALEIGH

11. Ali LAUITIITI

12. Danny KIRMOND

13. Danny WASHBROOK

14. Matty WILDIE

15. Matt RYAN

16. Richard MOORE

17. Taulima TAUTAI

18. Kyle TROUT

19. Jimmy KEINHOURST

20. Jack BRISCOE

21. Chris ANNAKIN

22. Lucas WALSHAW

23. Daniel SMITH

24. Jordan CROWTHER

25. Max JOWITT

26. Jon MOLLOY

27. Ben SHULVER

Still two signings to be made which are expected to be a half back and a front rower

Not looking bad at the moment

6 : Thomas Bosc

According to Wikipedia (trusted font of knowledge), he's signed for Saints...

Bosc has signed to play for St.Helens on a 2 year deal. Although Bosc was off contract in 2013, Lance Hohaia has agreed to move to Catalans for the last two years of his four year contract with St.Helens. Bosc has also agreed to star in Panto with Dynamo, Magician Impossible, where he will magically morph himself into a Lance Hodeho clone for his contract with Saints. Rumour has it he's the new Doctor Who, too, and the bloke the BBC hired will be going to French telly to star in Le Médecin Qui.

London Broncos (not squad numbers)

1. Saeed Agboke
  2. Mike Bishay
  3. Mason Caton-Brown
  4. Matt Cook
  5. Kieran Dixon
  6. Erjon Dollapi
  7. James Duckworth
  8. Alex Foster
  9. George Griffin
  10. Olsi Krasniqi
  11. Will Lovell
  12. Iliess Macani
  13. Nesiasi Mataitonga
  14. Mike McMeeken
  15. Thomas Minns
  16. Scott Moore
  17. Ben Ross
  18. Denny Solomona
  19. Joel Wicks
  20. James Woodburn Hall

Rammo saying he's heard it's currently "over 20"

We don't look too bad on the face of it - confidence and attitude will be the big factors for us though.  I think given the circumstances FC has put a competitive squad together, and is an improvement on recent seasons.  It's not his fault that we've had to let Bateman and Whitehead go.  I think Curtis Naughton would have played quite a few games as well had he stayed.  The problem, as in many recent seasons will be depth, there just isn't any of note beyond the obvious.

Potential run on...

1. Kearney

2. Kear

3. Blythe

4. Henry

5. Foster

6. Sammut

7. Gale

8. Scruton

9. Diskin

10. Manuokafoa

11. Olbison

12. Ferguson

13. Addy

O'Brien

Sidlow

Carvell

Donaldson

Cover

Purtell

Gaskell

Walker

George

Roberts

Wood

Don't want to sound negative but how many of these will actually kick off the season for the bulls ? have heard all sorts of rumours about Carvell Sammut and even Gale.

London Broncos (not squad numbers)

• Saeed Agboke
  • Mike Bishay
  • Mason Caton-Brown
  • Matt Cook
  • Kieran Dixon
  • Erjon Dollapi
  • James Duckworth
  • Alex Foster
  • George Griffin
  • Olsi Krasniqi
  • Will Lovell
  • Iliess Macani
  • Nesiasi Mataitonga
  • Mike McMeeken
  • Thomas Minns
  • Scott Moore
  • Ben Ross
  • Denny Solomona
  • Joel Wicks
  • James Woodburn Hall
Rammo saying he's heard it's currently "over 20"
ben ross claims he hasn't signed n wont be either

ben ross claims he hasn't signed n wont be either

Good. You'd think London would've learned their lesson about signing Aussies that are finished.

So, London have announced the signing of an Aussie who really is finished.

I guess it saves time.

Looking ahead at 2014 the most surprising squad for me is Warrington, I think they will struggle to make the top 4.

It lacks depth and is going to be heavily reliant on the creativity of two players in particular that are injury prone in Ratchford and Myler.

I'm not over enthused by the starting 1 - 5 either!

On paper the strongest four squads by far are Wigan, Leeds, Huddersfield and St Helens.

Salford have the potential to be a real thorn in the side of any team this season, but they also have the potential to implode at any given point!!!!

Top 4 for me will be Wigan, Leeds, Huddersfield, St. Helens in that order.

Wire might only be 40 minutes in to their 2014 campaign but there are definitely some worrying signs for 2014.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

LordCharles, on 30 Dec 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:snapback.png

Wire - Russell, Riley, Bridge, Atkins, Monaghan

Russell did well in the World Cup but mostly played against lesser opposition and certainly showed off some areas of his game that he needs to improve as well as some very good attributes.

Are Riley and Bridge a good enough pairing to really worry that many defences or worry too many attacking sides...........I don't think they are. Atkins and Monaghan though are a very solid top class pairing.

Compare it to the best 1-5 on paper and you can see a big difference in my opinion.

That 1-5 being Leeds..............

Hardaker, T Briscoe, Watkins, Moon, Hall

Top top top class from 1-5

Wigan's only worry for me is Gelling if they play him at 5 as his squad number suggests they might.

Bowen, Charnley, Goulding, Thornley, Gelling

Not as good as Leeds but plenty of ability and for me in front of Wire's first choice 1-5.

Huddersfield are solid in Grix, McGilvray, Cudjoe, Wardle and Murphy and possess real strike with Cudjoe and Wardle, with the latter one to watch I think in 2014.

Saints possibly have the most youthful 1-5 and the most underrated back in SL in Tommy Makinson.

Lomax, Makinson, Turner, Jones and Swift all have tries in them and this season will have a much stronger pack to play behind as well as a proper halfback pairing, so I expect them to show more improvement than any other team.

So there you go on paper at 1-5 Wire I feel have a bit of catching up to do and outside of their top 17 lack real depth.

That said games are not played on paper but it could be a long season for Wire in my opinion and I'll stick my neck out and say they won't make top 4!!!

Dave T Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

Fair enough, valid enough reasons mate, not that I agree.

On your points about our three-quarters - the four in question have returned:

63 tries in 2013

74 tries in 2012

67 tries in 2011

So yes, I think they will worry plenty of defences.

Our main issue imho is if Ratchford can make that number 6 spot his own and control the team like Briers used to.

Not looking good for Wire............Top 4 is looking unlikely at this rate!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

LordCharles, on 30 Dec 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:snapback.png

Not looking good for Wire............Top 4 is looking unlikely at this rate!

maybe not but this season is still the same as previous, last seasons winners lost 7 out 8 at the finish. Leeds won from 5th twice, the squad is weaker but a fully fit one at the end could still cause some teams problems. Next years format is a different story and although the young players will be better for the game time some quality is needed.