Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

Food banks

135 posts in this topic

Regardless of all that Trojan, if you can't afford enough food for your family, why would you smoke?

Regardless of all that Trojan, if you can't afford enough food for your family, why would you smoke?

This is the uncomfortable truth for many leftwingers and they prefer not to attempt an answer.  Add drink to that as well and that's a lot of money going away from family needs. 

This is the uncomfortable truth for many leftwingers and they prefer not to attempt an answer. Add drink to that as well and that's a lot of money going away from family needs.

Difficult decisions need strong leaders. Thatcher made difficult decisions and was proved right with many. George Osborne I think will be thought of as a strong chancellor in years to come if the recovery continues.

Difficult decisions need strong leaders. Thatcher made difficult decisions and was proved right with many. George Osborne I think will be thought of as a strong chancellor in years to come if the recovery continues.

If what recovery continues?

If what recovery continues?

The one that means the people who work in the City of London get even bigger bonuses next year. Financial figures based on the output of the financial sector really mean little for the rest of us.

Read this today in Wigan Evening Post.

I'd not heard of the organisation before but its connected to a church that was very dear to a Great Aunty of mine sadly no longer with us, donation made, but it doesn't seem enough. 

I feel a great sense of shame to live in a society were these are needed at all.

This is the uncomfortable truth for many leftwingers and they prefer not to attempt an answer.  Add drink to that as well and that's a lot of money going away from family needs.

Ciggies and drink means a lot of money is going back to the government in duty and tax, so they won't be complaining

Ciggies and drink means a lot of money is going back to the government in duty and tax, so they won't be complaining

Most of it will be knock off. But nonetheless it still costs money

Depressingly, that is not particularly a mark of wastrels.  Give anyone just enough to live on and they will buy some luxuries too and lose out on proper food.  The only way to avoid that is go to subsistance farming societies.

So is the gist of what some are saying, because some of the people who use them (though we don't know how many) may possibly be smokers we should not allow food banks?

Personally, I would like to see all food banks closed with immediate effect. Not because I disagree with them but because they were redundant. 

Because you're an addict?  Because you choose the hit of a drug to calm your worries over anxiety caused by not being able to solve them?  Because, frankly, life is rubbish anyway and you have no many anyway so what's the difference between being this much in debt with no prospect of improvement and *this* much in debt with no prospect of improvement?

Because you're an addict? Because you choose the hit of a drug to calm your worries over anxiety caused by not being able to solve them? Because, frankly, life is rubbish anyway and you have no many anyway so what's the difference between being this much in debt with no prospect of improvement and *this* much in debt with no prospect of improvement?

Quite!

Because you're an addict? Because you choose the hit of a drug to calm your worries over anxiety caused by not being able to solve them? Because, frankly, life is rubbish anyway and you have no many anyway so what's the difference between being this much in debt with no prospect of improvement and *this* much in debt with no prospect of improvement?

So basically, screw you kids, my habit comes first? If you only have so much money, you aren't supposed to spend a chunk of it on a personal habit at the expense of food or clothes. And excusing people who do this by defending their habit makes it even easier for them to continue.

So basically, screw you kids, my habit comes first? If you only have so much money, you aren't supposed to spend a chunk of it on a personal habit at the expense of food or clothes. And excusing people who do this by defending their habit makes it even easier for them to continue.

no its because you live a desperate life of (at best) temporary low paid, low hours work, debt, housing and helplessness so why shouldn't you?

some marvelously victorian attitudes on here.

"Are there no prisons? are there no workhouses?" I won't reference this quote, you can find it for yourselves, it comes from a famous victorian tale by a writer who was always concerned with the causes and effectss of poverty.

You talk about it like it is educated informed personal choice. This is a social phenomena - throughout the industrialised developed and developing world 'the poor' and 'disadvantaged' routinely choose to abuse substances, lead chaotic lifestyles that provide for a, de facto, worsening of their plight and perpetuation of their social malaise. The key lies in trying to understand the multiple correlations and strands of causation and certainly not in condemnation. But then maybe some people find knee-jerk reaction easier than logical reasoning!

Let me remind anyone, I come from a rough estate

I know what plenty of people are like on them and many of them are just selfish tossers who would rather their kids go short than they go without their cigs and booze.

I resent the Dickens analogy too. It's the selfish lady greedy ones that make it hard for the ones in genuine need and result in aspersions being cast.

If someone has £70 to spend on food but opts to spend £14 of it on cigs then I am sorry but they are tossers. End of.

I know what plenty of people are like on them and many of them are just selfish tossers who would rather their kids go short than they go without their cigs and booze.

I resent the Dickens analogy too. It's the selfish lady greedy ones that make it hard for the ones in genuine need and result in aspersions being cast.

If someone has £70 to spend on food but opts to spend £14 of it on cigs then I am sorry but they are tossers. End of.

So ALL the millions of poor people around the world who smoke, drink, use narcotics and lead chaotic lifestyles are just "selfish tossers" are they? Oh and by the way some of us still live on Council Estates and don't recognise what you describe. Lots of nice people willing to help each other though.

The fact you come from a rough estate is pretty irrelevant IMO, and similar to Michael Gove's belief that he's an expert on Social Work purely based upon the fact that he was adopted as a child.

Ok, its hardly ideal that someone on the poverty line would make the choice to spend their money on addictive substances but, perhaps, as a result of their own below-par upbringing or low mental intelligence, they struggle to prioritise their childrens needs above their own. It's nothing to do with inherently selfish attitudes, IMO.

I know plenty of working parents earning decent wages who whinge constantly about having little money for decent food, household items etc., yet spend a fortune on weekly boozy nights out whilst the kids are at home with a paid babysitter. Does this make them 'bad' people too?

So ALL the millions of poor people around the world who smoke, drink, use narcotics and lead chaotic lifestyles are just "selfish tossers" are they? Oh and by the way some of us still live on Council Estates and don't recognise what you describe. Lots of nice people willing to help each other though.

Don't patronise me pal or try to put words in my mouth. I am not talking about the entire worlds poor, I am talking about a specific type of person who I know from *personal experience* spend money on cigs and booze at the expense of their kids but then cry the poor tale. Feel free to portray me as the evil one and them as poor helpless victims if you want, but you'd be wrong.

The fact you come from a rough estate is pretty irrelevant IMO, and similar to Michael Gove's belief that he's an expert on Social Work purely based upon the fact that he was adopted as a child.

Ok, its hardly ideal that someone on the poverty line would make the choice to spend their money on addictive substances, but perhaps, as a result of their own below-par upbringing or low mental intelligence, they struggle to prioritise their childrens needs above their own. It's nothing to do with inherently selfish attitudes,

It means I know of such people first hand and not because I read it in the paper.

It also means I don't think they are thick either but know it is because they are selfish. I aren't talking about perfection. ...where did I imply that? ...I aren't going to pretend such people don't exist and abuse the system. That does not also mean I think we should tar everyone with the same brush.

Don't patronise me pal or try to put words in my mouth. I am not talking about the entire worlds poor, I am talking about a specific type of person who I know from *personal experience* spend money on cigs and booze at the expense of their kids but then cry the poor tale. Feel free to portray me as the evil one and them as poor helpless victims if you want, but you'd be wrong.

The only person making qualitative judgements on people, and it's often the case, is YOU John. I'm suggesting that as a recognisable social phenomena replicated all over the world it needs investigating.

The only person making qualitative judgements on people, and it's often the case, is YOU John. I'm suggesting that as a recognisable social phenomena replicated all over the world it needs investigating.

Judgement? Yes. Trying to comment on things other than my personal experience? No.

Judgement? Yes. Trying to comment on things other than my personal experience? No.

Might you be able to consider that your personal experience might not provide an accurate picture? You see, with a sample that small and self selecting, the margin of error is quite sizable. Moreover, there is a world of things going on outside your personal experience!