Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

Michael Schumacher injured

12 posts in this topic

Posting on Kindle, so can't do links, but it seems he's had a very nasty skiiing accident.

Didn't realise it was so serious. Hope the guy pulls through.

Initial stories seemed to be quite blasé about it. Some even said he walked away and just felt a little shaken.  This was the line the British reporters took until somebody translated what was actually coming out in French.

I met Schumacher once in Switzerland. Nice guy, and nothing like the arrogant German he is often portrayed to be.

I even have photos of the occasion.

A lot of the British perception of Schumacher is down to the more-than-a-bit biased commentary of Martin Brundle, who never remembered to mention that he was also the well-paid P.R. agent for his rival David Coulthard. Odd, that.

I always liked Schumacher and wish him the very best of luck.

As a teenager I spent time in Schumacher's hometown of Kerpen (near Cologne), and he was absolutely hero-worshipped by the locals - as you would expect, perhaps. Tellingly though, and as an earlier post also testifies, he had a reputation as a real gentleman who'd invested a lot of money in local enterprises and charities etc. Certainly a million miles away from his media image.

He is much admired in countries that don't still cling to the notion that World War 2 is still on and that all Germans are therefore evil.

I'd like to think that Michael Schumacher is a fighter, and given the early interventional surgery, he will be OK.

God Bless to him and his family, especially at this time of year.