Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trojan

Haddock

104 posts in this topic

According to our chippy proprietor the price of haddock has gone through the roof.  He stopped selling it replacing it with cod, a big no-no around Leeds.  He will now provide it only if you ask for it and are prepared to pay a premium, and he's not alone. Apparently the Russians have cut the quota for haddock.  this is bad news for those of us from the West Riding who prefer haddock to cod.  I wonder what pollock tastes like?

Coley is nice

I think coley is what is known as saithe in this part of the world - could be wrong.

The wife gets plaice these days from chippies.  Mainly because it's cooked to order so you know it's not been sitting there for most of the day...

According to our chippy proprietor the price of haddock has gone through the roof. He stopped selling it replacing it with cod, a big no-no around Leeds. He will now provide it only if you ask for it and are prepared to pay a premium, and he's not alone. Apparently the Russians have cut the quota for haddock. this is bad news for those of us from the West Riding who prefer haddock to cod. I wonder what pollock tastes like?

Pollock is fine, just a bit unfashionable.

Good cod is very nice, but you have to wonder about sustainability and price.

I used to play rugby with a bloke whose surname was Haddock and whose parents owned a Bradford fish and chip shop.

Pollock is fine, just a bit unfashionable.

Good cod is very nice, but you have to wonder about sustainability and price.

Wouldn't thank you for cod round here.  A few years ago a couple from Norfolk took over a local chippie and switched from haddock to cod, they lasted less than a year.

I've never eaten fish but, when I was a kid,  Eastern Valley chip shops sold plaice and hake.

The chances of that white fish definitively being cod or haddock are slight.

And in blind tastings the majority of people can't tell whether they're eating cod, haddock or pollock.

The chances of that white fish definitively being cod or haddock are slight.

And in blind tastings the majority of people can't tell whether they're eating cod, haddock or pollock.

we could certainly tell here when our chippy switched from haddock to cod,it was only when we said something that he offered to supply haddock at a higher price

we could certainly tell here when our chippy switched from haddock to cod,it was only when we said something that he offered to supply haddock at a higher price

He changed supplier from one white fish to another.

He changed supplier from one white fish to another.

He sold fish but didn't specify what type.  But it was haddock, he switched to cod to maintain the same price, we didn't like it much and said so, so now he offers haddock. you can tell the difference.  Cod is much flakier and has a coarser taste, haddock has a much sweeter flavour

Always been able to buy Cod in Leeds Chippys. In Hull they won't touch the stuff!

Me too: this is a new one on me

Cod has always been at the top of the menus in the thirty years  I've lived in leeds

Big fan of Midgeleys at west park

Me too: this is a new one on me

Cod has always been at the top of the menus in the thirty years  I've lived in leeds

Big fan of Midgeleys at west park

Bryans, Drakes, the Art Deco Chippy at Roundhay, Bretts at Headingley all sell haddock.  Until the recent haddock shortage, The Mermaid in Morley had a sign requesting customers who wanted cod to order it when they came into the shop.

Bryans, Drakes, the Art Deco Chippy at Roundhay, Bretts at Headingley all sell haddock.  Until the recent haddock shortage, The Mermaid in Morley had a sign requesting customers who wanted cod to order it when they came into the shop.

Yes they do sell haddock

That is not what you were on about. You said it was the first choice

I've never been in bryans but I've been in drakes

, bretts, the art deco gaff plenty of times. I font like drakes their fat smells rancid. Kirbys in meanwood is ok.

I don't think I've been to the mermaid in Morley, so maybe it's a Morley thing and you are extrapolating it.

My wife was born and bred in hunslet. I've just asked her and she seems pretty certain that the default fish is cod.

In the old West Riding, in Harrogate, where I was brought up, both cod and haddock were available but haddock was viewed as the superior product and the fish of choice.

Incidentally, nobody in Leeds knew what i was taking about when i tried to order "one of each and a bag of scraps!"

In the old West Riding, in Harrogate, where I was brought up, both cod and haddock were available but haddock was viewed as the superior product and the fish of choice.

Incidentally, nobody in Leeds knew what i was taking about when i tried to order "one of each and a bag of scraps!"

2 things.....

1) Which chippy did you use in Harrogate? (Or did you go to Knaresborough

2) That's because you should have just said "twice wi' scraps please luv"

Firstly this is the best thread on this forum,

secondly, living in Hook (Hampshire)if I ever dared to order fish and chips I have been used to just getting Cod without really thinking - we went to Milford on Sea in the summer and I saw Haddock on the menu as well as cod so ordered Haddock as that is what I was brought up on - loved it, as did my 10 yr old son, wife and 4 yr old daughter.

Hook (Hampshire) can now inhale my pecker when it comes to fish and chips as I refuse to buy them any more

2 things.....

1) Which chippy did you use in Harrogate? (Or did you go to Knaresborough

2) That's because you should have just said "twice wi' scraps please luv"

1) Crow's Nest on Knaresborough Road.

2) Oh!

1) Crow's Nest on Knaresborough Road.

2) Oh!

I know it - good ones from there.

From Follifoot we used to do Leeds Rd, Knaresborough or a as a special treat, the Wetherby Whaler!

Firstly this is the best thread on this forum,

secondly, living in Hook (Hampshire)if I ever dared to order fish and chips I have been used to just getting Cod without really thinking - we went to Milford on Sea in the summer and I saw Haddock on the menu as well as cod so ordered Haddock as that is what I was brought up on - loved it, as did my 10 yr old son, wife and 4 yr old daughter.

Hook (Hampshire) can now inhale my pecker when it comes to fish and chips as I refuse to buy them any more

That is because fish and chips across most of the south is so bad that I had a Harry Ramsden's kiosk fish and chips (white fish non determined) at the MacArthur Glen Retail Outlet at Ashford International the other day and it was the best I'd had outside of a decent restaurant in about a decade.

There are good chip shops round here (Hastings, (East Sussex)) apparently.  I will be trying them and reporting back in due course.

That is because fish and chips across most of the south is so bad that I had a Harry Ramsden's kiosk fish and chips (white fish non determined) at the MacArthur Glen Retail Outlet at Ashford International the other day and it was the best I'd had outside of a decent restaurant in about a decade.

There are good chip shops round here (Hastings, (East Sussex)) apparently.  I will be trying them and reporting back in due course.

we know where Hastings is....

The fish and chips from Milford on sea were as good as I've ever had

There used to be a very good (award winning) one a short bus ride away from me in Colindale, North London, but it is long gone now.

I haven't had decent F+C in many years.