Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trojan

Haddock

104 posts in this topic

There used to be a very good (award winning) one a short bus ride away from me in Colindale, North London, but it is long gone now.

I haven't had decent F+C in many years.

I have eaten from many "award wining" chippies in my time which are so far from the "husband and wife in Cas" chippies i"m used to it's untrue

The chippy near work in Westhoughton is just awful. Dad says it's because they don't fry in dripping over in Lancashire. But do they really do that here in Yorkshire? (Or Bradford/West Yorkshire for the sticklers)

As for the fish I've no idea what it is. I think I can tell the difference, this fish seems drier aftertaste, so it may be cod.

I have eaten from many "award wining" chippies in my time which are so far from the "husband and wife in Cas" chippies i"m used to it's untrue

The one in Colindale was really good. It is now some ersatz fried chicken-flavoured gristle emporium, which is a depressing thought.

As for the fish I've no idea what it is. I think I can tell the difference, this fish seems drier aftertaste, so it may be cod.

this thread really isn't for you

The chippy near work in Westhoughton is just awful. Dad says it's because they don't fry in dripping over in Lancashire.

I do wonder sometimes why chippys can be so vastly different despite being actually quite close. Having lived in Manchester 8 years now, nothing has come close to the stuff they have in Yorkshire. It took me about 6 years to find somewhere that had even half decent fish and chips. Not amazing, but not awful like some stuff I've tried. Might just be unlucky, but it is strange

best local to us fish and chips is millbridge chippy on leeds rd just lower down than golden fish as you drop down into heckmondwike swan lights, (haddock too) cod is bigger chunks and a harsher flavour. and am told by a mate who runs a chippy cod is a very dirty fish and if you hold an uncooked fillit up to a light you can see small worms still in the fish as its a bottom feeder.

golden fish is nice fish but rank chips as their all bits not propper nice big well cooked ones like millbridge.

for a trip out try trenshers in whitby by the roundabout and main carpark were all bikers hang out on a sunny sunday. parsley sauce is super.massive fish and a special coleslaw thats to die for.home baked t cakes/baps. too.

The chippy near work in Westhoughton is just awful. Dad says it's because they don't fry in dripping over in Lancashire. But do they really do that here in Yorkshire? (Or Bradford/West Yorkshire for the sticklers)

Theres what I consider to be a cracking chippy down the road in Aspull, well worth the 10 minute drive, but make sure you get the one on Ratcliffe Road rather than the fingerpost one or the chinese on scott lane or you will be disappointed!

My own chips are the best I've ever tasted. Vegetable lard topped up with bacon fat, sausage fat and steak juice from the grill pan.

I never use straight vinegar on them. I've always got a jar of sliced onions being pickled and use the pickling vinegar.

Some do some don't

Years ago I courted lass from ulverston who's dad had a chippy

He used oil. I was nonplussed

My grandparents had a chippy in sharlston. I doubt whether they even knew what cooking oil was

I know it - good ones from there.

From Follifoot we used to do Leeds Rd, Knaresborough or a as a special treat, the Wetherby Whaler!

Had fish chips and double mushies in the wetherby whaler in Wakefield the other day. It's where all the car dealerships are. Most acceptable and great service. The woman behind the counter started ladling the mushies on and told me to say when: paradise.

Harry Ramsdens always used Haddock in the past and are doing so again.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/the-northerner/2012/may/22/harry-ramsdens-white-cross-guiseley-fish-and-chips

I'm always amazed at the quality and quantity of the Haddock at the fish shop I use in Coventry.

Both Haddock and Cod are £4.75 which might be quite expensive? But the Haddock is over a foot long as against the Cod which is only about 8/9 inches. The Haddock is always Snow White in colour often it can be grey.

A mate of mine told me that he had a fish and chip shop and would never eat Cod due to the worms that used to come out of it.

There is a famous fish and chip restaurant in Small Heath, Birmingham called "Bedders" it only opens for two hours at lunchtime, you can't book and just have to queue. I've never been but have often seen people queuing up to get in.

Long queues doesn't always mean it's good, but probably enhances the perceived quality if you've waited in line for ages.

Mind you, some days in Whitby, you can find yourself queuing, whichever chippy you choose.

Long queues doesn't always mean it's good, but probably enhances the perceived quality if you've waited in line for ages.

Mind you, some days in Whitby, you can find yourself queuing, whichever chippy you choose.

The magpie in Whitby is a classic example

There are better chippies on the same street.

The magpie in Whitby is a classic example

There are better chippies on the same street.

I don't know a single person who has ever had the patience to find out if the Magpie actually is any good or not. I just look at the length of the queues and think 'madness! I'm too hungry for a wait that long'.

Indeed. I once made that mistake in central London. And it was a big mistake. Paid over £7.50 for fish & chips that were so bad I ended up binning 3/4 of them. :angry:

According to our chippy proprietor the price of haddock has gone through the roof.  He stopped selling it replacing it with cod, a big no-no around Leeds.  He will now provide it only if you ask for it and are prepared to pay a premium, and he's not alone. Apparently the Russians have cut the quota for haddock.  this is bad news for those of us from the West Riding who prefer haddock to cod.  I wonder what pollock tastes like?

Pollock is fine but it has a more grey colour than cod and it was seen as less attractive to the shopper... It has been promoted quite a bit more in recent years, as an alternate to cod, and the last time I looked it was nearly as expensive.

I used to play rugby with a bloke whose surname was Haddock and whose parents owned a Bradford fish and chip shop.

Somefin fishy about this post. It seems to be a bit of a tail, not to say off the scale.

I've never eaten fish but, when I was a kid,  Eastern Valley chip shops sold plaice and hake.

Plaice and hake were sometimes on the chipper menu when I was a kid. Both are cracking to eat.

In the old West Riding, in Harrogate, where I was brought up, both cod and haddock were available but haddock was viewed as the superior product and the fish of choice.

Incidentally, nobody in Leeds knew what i was taking about when i tried to order "one of each and a bag of scraps!"

Huddersfield and Halifax were said to be haddock towns, so when there was media coverage of the shortage of cod it was said that it wouldn't effect the chippers much.

best local to us fish and chips is millbridge chippy on leeds rd just lower down than golden fish as you drop down into heckmondwike swan lights, (haddock too) cod is bigger chunks and a harsher flavour. and am told by a mate who runs a chippy cod is a very dirty fish and if you hold an uncooked fillit up to a light you can see small worms still in the fish as its a bottom feeder.

golden fish is nice fish but rank chips as their all bits not propper nice big well cooked ones like millbridge.

for a trip out try trenshers in whitby by the roundabout and main carpark were all bikers hang out on a sunny sunday. parsley sauce is super.massive fish and a special coleslaw thats to die for.home baked t cakes/baps. too.

Aye, good f & c at Millbridge. The Golden Fish is pricey IIRC.

I used to go to a chipper in Heckmondwike when I worked there. It was a lean to in the Market Place and they kept the uncooked chipped spuds in a bath!

'Chipper'? 'Chippy' surely?

I've heard them called that