Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trojan

Haddock

104 posts in this topic

I did A Level Biology and one of our school old boys once caught a really big skate off the South Wales coast. He brought it in to be dissected to see what was in its stomach (to get hints what bait to use in future). The thing was an absolute monster and stuck out about a foot from each side of a lab sink.

I can't remember exactly what was found in its stomach but I remember it was nothing remarkable. I wasn't in the lab when it was cut up.

In Scotland it's fish bar

And the fish and chips are to be avoided at all costs

Pudding supper every time

Edinburgh Fish and Chipd are truly dire. Not had a single good one in the 4 years Ive lived here.

There'd always be haddock and hake on the menu in the chippies I used to go to around Blackpool, cod was on too but most of the locals I met seemed to prefer the haddock and wince slightly when discussing the worms in cod.

Quality was hit and miss, there was certainly a nice one in Thornton (probably the one Saint Billinge mentioned). The hake was cheaper and usually rather tasty.

The one that my wife and I go to in Thornton is near the windmill. 

Edinburgh Fish and Chipd are truly dire. Not had a single good one in the 4 years Ive lived here.

When I lived there I stuck to white pudding suppers.

Also it wasn't salt and vinegar that you had on but salt and sauce and you weren't AppleScript it on they did it for you

Having lived in North Wales for over 30 years I often take the wife to Knaresborough just to get fish chips and mushy peas from Drakes, absolutely spot on. Also they do proper fish cakes - a piece of fish between two slices of potato and deep fried in batter. Some thing was a real treat when growing up in the west riding.

I once had a chippy meal in  an award-winning cafe situated near to the harbour in Whitehaven, and what a tasty treat. 

Tilapia and Basa are being passed off as Cod or Haddock by unscrupulous chip shop owners wanting to boost their profit. They are sort of the horse of the fish world. :P

Ah, the horse meat scandal. We don't know how lucky we are.

When I lived there I stuck to white pudding suppers.

Also it wasn't salt and vinegar that you had on but salt and sauce and you weren't AppleScript it on they did it for you

Ive been caught out by the salt n sauce thing on a couple of occasions. Horrible stuff!

It bugs me how a 'supper' is just that thing plus chips. I want mushy peas and gravy with that battered sausage to make a supper!

Ive been caught out by the salt n sauce thing on a couple of occasions. Horrible stuff!

It bugs me how a 'supper' is just that thing plus chips. I want mushy peas and gravy with that battered sausage to make a supper!

Supper is milk and biscuits!

Supper is milk and biscuits!

are you Father Christmas?

Once went to Widnes and asked for a spit only to get strange looks. In St Helens, a split is chips and mushy peas and Wigan I think a mix. 

Having lived in North Wales for over 30 years I often take the wife to Knaresborough just to get fish chips and mushy peas from Drakes, absolutely spot on. Also they do proper fish cakes - a piece of fish between two slices of potato and deep fried in batter. Some thing was a real treat when growing up in the west riding.

A fish sandwich! Or is it a patty?  Better ask our Hull brethren!

Fish between two slices of potato deep fried in batter? That's a fish scallop. A patty is mashed potato and herbs deep fried in batter (bread crumbs are also permissible) and a fish cake is fish and mashed potato deep fried in bread crumbs.

In Bradford it's a cake, and always has been. In Halifax it's a scone, and in Keighley a sandwich (or the other way round I can never remember).

And in Bradford fish is haddock. Any other fish must be specified by name, and you'll probably get a funny look if you do.

Whether its Cod or Haddock should it be skin on or off. Here in W Yorks skin off is the norm but on my regular visits to Whitby unless you request otherwise its served with skin.

We have two first rate fish and chip shops near us. At one you get the fish skinned, at the other they leave the skin on. They're both very good but I have a slight preference for the the skin being left on because I like the taste.

In many chippies (in the Leeds area anyway) you can ask for a special, which is a larger fish. In my days as a plastic Wiganer, I was in the chippy on Ince Green Lane, one Saturday when I'd worked later than normal and was buying my lunch before going home. The guy in front of me asked in what was obviously a Leeds accent whether they did "specials"  they clearly didn't understand what he wanted, and when he'd gone the girls behind the counter had a good laugh at his expense!  (I kept quiet!)

I don't know if it's like this anywhere else, but it seems like here in Hebden Bridge, there is a big market for a chippy that opens past about 6.30pm. The number of times I've gone down to the chippy only to find it closed, especially in summer when there has been several bemused walkers outside wanting to be fed. I actually remember on Friday evening about 8pm being in a que of 4 customers in one of the pizza takeaway places in town where we'd all only gone in because no fish & chips were available!

It was never like that when I lived in Normanton, there was always somewhere open reasonably late, even late enough to be able to get post pub food on a weekend.

I don't know if it's like this anywhere else, but it seems like here in Hebden Bridge, there is a big market for a chippy that opens past about 6.30pm. The number of times I've gone down to the chippy only to find it closed, especially in summer when there has been several bemused walkers outside wanting to be fed. I actually remember on Friday evening about 8pm being in a que of 4 customers in one of the pizza takeaway places in town where we'd all only gone in because no fish & chips were available!

It was never like that when I lived in Normanton, there was always somewhere open reasonably late, even late enough to be able to get post pub food on a weekend.

Friendly Chippy (where they sell "chummy chips") up the road towards Halifax is open till 8-00pm, Sowerby Bridge is great for chippies

Friendly Chippy (where they sell "chummy chips") up the road towards Halifax is open till 8-00pm, Sowerby Bridge is great for chippies

Friendly is a great chippy, as is the one in Oxenhope, which doesn't open late but I do pass on the way home from work. Neither is handy when on foot though sadly!

When I lived in Knottingley many years ago all the chippies were open till 11.30 at night. Nothing better than a gallon of Tetleys then fish chips and mushy peas.

In many chippies (in the Leeds area anyway) you can ask for a special, which is a larger fish. In my days as a plastic Wiganer, I was in the chippy on Ince Green Lane, one Saturday when I'd worked later than normal and was buying my lunch before going home. The guy in front of me asked in what was obviously a Leeds accent whether they did "specials"  they clearly didn't understand what he wanted, and when he'd gone the girls behind the counter had a good laugh at his expense!  (I kept quiet!)

Yes. The chippies in Fev would do a special for an extra few pennies. Same fish, but bigger.

I seem to remember that in Scotland "special" fish was breadcrumbs over batter.

I remember asking for a scotch pie in a chip shop in Motherwell, a scotch pie is mutton and has a recessed top like a shallow cup

The guy threw it into the frier to heat it up and it came with the cup full of hot oil.

They also sold pizza which again was warmed up by throwing it into the deep fat frier!

I seem to remember that in Scotland "special" fish was breadcrumbs over batter.

I remember asking for a scotch pie in a chip shop in Motherwell, a scotch pie is mutton and has a recessed top like a shallow cup

The guy threw it into the frier to heat it up and it came with the cup full of hot oil.

They also sold pizza which again was warmed up by throwing it into the deep fat frier!

What was that I read about the life expectancy of Scots?

I've found the f & chips at Friendly to be variable in quality.

I can't think of a good, reliable quality chipper in the centre of Sowerby Bridge.