Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boxhead

Auckland Nines (Merged threads)

210 posts in this topic

If this story has legs it will do more damage than good for this event.
The last thing it needs is players that have been retired for 10 years coming back to try their hand with a squad full of junior players.

Former Sydney Roosters captain Brad Fittler has indicated he will come out of retirement to play for his old club in the Auckland Nines.

News Corp Australia reported on Thursday that Fittler was poised to make a comeback with the Roosters at the NRL's new pre-season tournament.

Fittler later acknowledged on Twitter the speculation was correct.

"Pumped about given the opportunity to play again for the roosters. Demi has been keeping me fairly fit. #icebath," the rugby league great posted.

The deal is yet to be rubber stamped by the NRL.

"We'll be investigating the proposal with the NRL when they reopen on Monday," Roosters chief operating officer Brian Canavan told News Corp.

Fittler will be 42 when the two-day tournament starts in New Zealand on February 15.

He played the last of his 336 first-grade games in 2004, then coached the Roosters from 2007-2009.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8778854

Many NRL fans are skeptical of these type of events as in the past similar tournaments were stacked with young Junior speedsters that were largely unknown by the bulk of the fans and the games died the death, hopefully this is some sort of promotional joke.

I don't mind seeing the past legends of the game showing their skills In fact, the flood relief 'Legends of Origin' match from a couple of years ago was impressive and hugely enjoyable.

But this is not the tournament for it.

Pretty much my thoughts, I was more disappointed than happy to read that yesterday. He is a legend but it would devalue the competition itself should he turn out.

Devalues the tournament for me and smacks of gimmicky.

Surely it's just a publicity stunt to raise the profile of the tournament, or at least I hope it is for his sake. why would he potentially want to sour the great reputation he has in the game?

It will make the tournament a joke if he plays. The event should be taken seriously.

The whole things a gimmick anyway.

Let the lad play if he wants to, and good luck to him.

Freddy will be playing because he wants to.

Irrespective of what the media club statement says , you always here legends in their television commentators roles get nostalgic for one more go around ( until they see a big hit and that's what deters them ).

Filltler is one of the great minds of rugby league , I just think the temptation to show up some of the games present play makers has got to Freddy.

Good on him.....perhaps........he is suffering Ali Syndrome and wants one more go around one time to many.....

Agree with Simmo.

The whole tournament is a gimmick (a gimmick I'm very grateful for and excited about), let him play. Let Joey and Lockyer play too.

Unless this becomes a full strength event, the it's just a fun way to market our game. Let's have fun.

The whole bloody things a gimmick anyway.

Let the lad play if he wants to, and good luck to him.

Totally disagree.

A successful nines tournament could see an area of the game introduced that may appeal to a new generation of players, much in the same way as sevens has done for Union.  As much as I like and admire Freddie, I believe to be a success, this competition needs to be taken seriously by all the teams who enter.

I'm traveling 1,100 k to watch this comp so don't want to be watching Fittler thank you.

Totally disagree.

A successful nines tournament could see an area of the game introduced that may appeal to a new generation of players, much in the same way as sevens has done for Union.  As much as I like and admire Freddie, I believe to be a success, this competition needs to be taken seriously by all the teams who enter.

Nonsense.

It's a short order version of the real thing, and should never be seen as anything other than that. Do you really want RL to end up with some God awful 7's tournament like our over-hyped cousins?

RL is a game played by 13 players, and any other format is just a pure devaluation of the sport.

Nonsense.

It's a short order version of the real thing, and should never be seen as anything other than that. Do you really want RL to end up with some God awful 7's tournament like our over-hyped cousins?

RL is a game played by 13 players, and any other format is just a pure devaluation of the sport.

Nonsense.

If RL 9's made as half an impression as union 7's have done for their sport then I'm all for it. The Warriors will win this and we have Wigan to thanks for that.

i think the warriors would be favorites without tomkins help.....shaun johnson and under 20s halfback tuimoala lolohea are going to rip the auckland 9s apart...

Nonsense.

Soccer has five-a-side, rugby union has sevens. 

When thirteens can be played, great, but nines is far easier to get started.  Not have the sport played in any form is how you devalue it (whatever that is supposed to mean).

i think the warriors would be favorites without tomkins help.....shaun johnson and under 20s halfback tuimoala lolohea are going to rip the auckland 9s apart...

The Warriors have some fine talents, I saw this kid Tui Lolohea on national tv playing in the national rugby union sevens for his high school team in 2012 and the kid can play footy.

If fittler does play his lack of pace will soon be exposed. There is no hiding place when you play 7s or 9s.

The Warriors have some fine talents, I saw this kid Tui Lolohea on national tv playing in the national rugby union sevens for his high school team in 2012 and the kid can play footy.

i saw him in a couple of games in the holden cup,the semis last season...he scored 4 against souths iirc...

you know when you see a player for the first time and you think...."christ"....hes good....

Soccer has five-a-side, rugby union has sevens. 

When thirteens can be played, great, but nines is far easier to get started.  Not have the sport played in any form is how you devalue it (whatever that is supposed to mean).

But Nine's is not RL is it, so your point doesn't make any sense.

How is it not RL ?

Is there another sport out there that has the same rules as RL with just nine players per team? :sclerosis:

Is there another sport out there that has the same rules as RL with just nine players per team? :sclerosis:

Unless I am mistaken, RL is a game played between teams comprising of 13 players.

Whichever way you look at it, 9 does not equal 13.

It is a short form, bastardised gimmick version of the real game, and deserves to be treated as such.

Those proposing nine's as a valid vehicle for promoting RL are off their rockers. I am sure the Auckland Nine's will be a fun knockabout for the lads, and as such if Fittler, or anyone else wants to have a go, then we should let them, and applaud them. To say that a no-mark pre-season tournament will be adversely affected by the presence of these players is just plain bonkers.

Obviously we should scrap touch rugby, tag rugby, mini &mod rugby as well, as they are not real rugby league!

Ah, who cares?

Stuff the Roosters. Watch the Raiders for Anthony Milford!

you describe it perfectly above. Its a form of RL.

Just like when kids start at 6 years old and have modified rules - it is still Rugby League.

But we are not talking about RL for small boys, we are talking about valid forms of RL for grown men.

The RU 7's circus is embarrassing. The constant attempts to convince the whole world that it is a valid and meaningful comp are tedious. If RL wants to go the same way, then nine's is probably a decent way to start.

I have no beef with groups of lads playing 5-a-side football down the local sports centre on a Wednesday night, but I doubt very much if we will see the Premier League attempting to introduce a 5-a-side pre-season tournament featuring Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and Hazard.

If we want to be taken seriously, then we should act in a serious fashion. The Auckland Nine's is a pre-season knockabout, and if ex-players want to have a go, why should anyone berate them for it? To claim to be upset because Brad Fittler might be playing in this comp is tantamount to claiming that this knockabout had any meaningful credibility in the first place, which it didn't.