Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boxhead

Auckland Nines (Merged threads)

210 posts in this topic

But other sports do use shortened version of the games in order to aid development and introduce it to new market and it's not just RU sevens. Futsal is used exstensively by football and FIBA are making a big push to get 3x3 basketball into the Olympics and have set up a tour that seems remarkably similar to the RU 7's series.

Big article on 3x3 from sports illustrated 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/longform/three-on-three/index.html

The football used to play a five a side indoor comp pre season for years. Was good as well, probably dead now but strangely I don't remember football fans whining about it.

The football used to play a five a side indoor comp pre season for years. Was good as well, probably dead now but strangely I don't remember football fans whining about it.

Did they really? I don't remember that, at all.

But we are not talking about RL for small boys, we are talking about valid forms of RL for grown men.

The RU 7's circus is embarrassing. The constant attempts to convince the whole world that it is a valid and meaningful comp are tedious. If RL wants to go the same way, then nine's is probably a decent way to start.

I have no beef with groups of lads playing 5-a-side football down the local sports centre on a Wednesday night, but I doubt very much if we will see the Premier League attempting to introduce a 5-a-side pre-season tournament featuring Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and Hazard.

If we want to be taken seriously, then we should act in a serious fashion. The Auckland Nine's is a pre-season knockabout, and if ex-players want to have a go, why should anyone berate them for it? To claim to be upset because Brad Fittler might be playing in this comp is tantamount to claiming that this knockabout had any meaningful credibility in the first place, which it didn't.

I don't disagree with much of what you say, it's not really for me, but if it can attract sponsors and be used like the World 7's were years back (getting the likes of USA, Russia etc involved) then I think there is a place for it.

One thing that many people forget when they compare this to Union's 7's circuit is that there is a place for that as it is a chance for them to watch Union and actually see some tries. I don't think RL needs a version which opens up the pitch more, as we have plenty of attacking play as it is.

It can be used as a festival type thing, but we need to be careful that it doesn't distract people from what is really important, the international game.

Manchester soccer sixes was great though on fairness they had the likes of Russel Beardsmore playing rather then Bryan Robson

Manchester soccer sixes was great though on fairness they had the likes of Russel Beardsmore playing rather then Bryan Robson

that clip above though - grobbelaar, Beardsley and jan molby! Not too shabby.

that clip above though - grobbelaar, Beardsley and jan molby! Not too shabby.

I think every team had one big player like Beardsley (prob part of the contract) it says in commentary that Molby is coming back from injury- aside from Grobelaar the rest barely played a first team game.

At the time there was no European competition and only one substitute (maybe by then two?)so it gave fringe players something to do.

I don't disagree with much of what you say, it's not really for me, but if it can attract sponsors and be used like the World 7's were years back (getting the likes of USA, Russia etc involved) then I think there is a place for it.

One thing that many people forget when they compare this to Union's 7's circuit is that there is a place for that as it is a chance for them to watch Union and actually see some tries. I don't think RL needs a version which opens up the pitch more, as we have plenty of attacking play as it is.

It can be used as a festival type thing, but we need to be careful that it doesn't distract people from what is really important, the international game.

Exactly.

9s has its place and should be utilized....and used as a development tool to help bridge the gap to the 13man game...

thats exactly how the IRB are using 7s..i dare say the IRB looked at our world 7s in the early 90s and a light flicked on.....they picked up the ball after we dropped it imo...

It was 7s that got Rugby Union onto the Olympics gravy train, not 15s.

They now have an 'in' with the biggest sporting audience in the world - almost as many viewers as the RUWC claimed last time around. ;) 

.i dare say the IRB looked at our world 7s in the early 90s and a light flicked on.....they picked up the ball after we dropped it imo...

I always thought the Honk Kong 7's was a fairly major thing well before our World Sevens.

9s has its place and should be utilized....and used as a development tool to help bridge the gap to the 13man game...

thats exactly how the IRB are using 7s..i dare say the IRB looked at our world 7s in the early 90s and a light flicked on.....they picked up the ball after we dropped it imo...

It was the Hong kong 7's that open up the sevens games to the IRB follow by other smaller tournaments at the time like Argentina 7's, Dubai 7's, Wellington 7's, Melrose 7's, Fijian 7's, Marist 7's and many more.

I loved his quote "let the young lads run at me" - they won't need to you daft old sod, they'll run into that massive amount of space on a 9s pitch.

If it was a serious competition with big name players making up half of a Clubs team surrounded by young  up and coming speedsters it could be a great event.

I can not see what Fittler adds to the mix other than making it a bit of a novelty joke event. I would have no interest in buying a ticket.

In the early days of the Sevens years ago it captured the fans imagination  to some extent, but as it developed it became a lesser valued event that was stacked with young fast kids almost straight from School that no one even knew and were touch football speedsters, who is going to pay to see these guys?

You can see that sort of game at any local Oval in Australia for free every winter weekend at a Schoolboys match.

The Hong Kong 7's started in 1976

The Rugby League World Sevens were held at Parramatta Stadium from 1988 

Has anybody heard if Premier Sports have picked up the TV rights to show the Auckland 9's?

Premier have shown the "All Stars" game in previous seasons, would they be willing to show 2 days of solid live RL?  I for one would love to watch it!

Premier sports announced today they are showing the 9's, and also possibly showing the Wigan V NZ Warriors game prior to the WCC..

This type of comp is all about fun and showcasing the attacking brilliance of RL.. As long as there a guaranteed number of top line players in each squad i think it will be great to watch. That being said its great to see the young kids who will form the next crop of superstars in the NRL.

The old Coca-Cola/Nissan 7's became a platform for plenty of players to go on and forge decent RL careers who probably wouldn't have been brought to peoples attention if not for the 7's.

Premier sports announced today they are showing the 9's, and also possibly showing the Wigan V NZ Warriors game prior to the WCC..

Great stuff!

I love Premier Sports!  Their subscription becomes even better value.

STEVE Menzies will consider following in Brad Fittler's footsteps and make a shock comeback in the Auckland Nines.

Following the announcement that Fittler will come out of retirement to play for the Roosters in the inaugural tournament at 42, there has been speculation "Beaver" may also have a run.

"No one has asked me to play but it is Manly and I would definitely have to consider it," Menzies said yesterday.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-great-steve-menzies-considers-shock-auckland-nines-comeback/story-fni3fbgz-1226797609756#ixzz2ptrqePTq

They will kill this concept before it even kicks off at this rate.

beaver could still play NRL if he wanted....so hardly the same a fittler...

But what will a player like Beaver or Fittlers  bring to a game of nines?

Its a fast game where most of the players will be backs, not 100kg plus retired old men.

The fact he does not play for an NRL Club the same as Fittler doesn't should automatically rule him out.

It should be renamed the Auckland nines Circus the way its heading.