Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boxhead

Auckland Nines (Merged threads)

210 posts in this topic

Its widely available in the majority of Australia, its just priced badly for the amount of ###### they regurgitate, many disconnect it after a short time.

With the Free View channels coming  on line recently it has just about stopped the uptake of Foxtel dead in its tracks.

I don't know what foxtels deal is with the nines but you would think its for the length of this current contract.

Voss is Boss for 9s

Popular World Cup commentary duo Andrew Voss and Daryl Hallighan return to Premier Sports this weekend as part of the broadcast team for the channels extensive UK coverage of the NRL Auckland 9s.

Premier Sports are also delighted to welcome back Kingstone Press Cider in 2014 as broadcast sponsor of the 9s coverage which begins on Friday 14th February at 11:00pm UK time. Commenting on the partnership Kingstone Press Managing Director Gordon Johncox said "we know that Premier viewers are very passionate about Rugby League and we are keen to ensure Kingstone Press Cider is engaging with fans at every level"

Premier will bring the very best of the action in 2014 with every game from every round as well as 9s and Origin Series. This season also marks the return of the highly revered Footy Show every Thursday night.

Richard Webb Operations Director for Premier Sports added "we continue to build a very strong NRL community in the UK and are delighted that Kingstone Press Cider will be our partners too. It will also be great to hear Vossy and Daryl once again after they proved such a hit in the World Cup'

NRL Nines Schedule on Premier Sports

Friday 14th Feb: Day 1 live from 11:00pm
Sat 15th Feb: Day 1 full repeat 12:00pm  
Sun 16th Feb: Day 2 final stages live from 3:30am
Sun 16th Feb: Day 2 full repeat from 8:15pm

hmm that's a major stumbling block I wasn't aware of re Foxtel being so thinly available / the financial part for Australians.

Any incentive for the NRL to seek wider promotion with a delayed free to air package next year....or is this thing locked down

How is it any different to the UK? Uptake of Sky in UK amounts to what? 15-18% of the population?

How is it any different to the UK? Uptake of Sky in UK amounts to what? 15-18% of the population?

I wouldn't know fellah. I'm from NZ. I live a short stroll from Eden Park , I'm learning about the World Wide Television coverage issues of the game from posts like this.

I have to say that coverage here is through the Sky network which is a monopoly so possibly half the population get to see it.

I can't complain. It's a Beautiful Auckland day with barely a cloud in the sky over the Park.

I'm going to miss the Live broadcast on the Telly.....

I got some Diamond seats which have me sitting a few meters from the touch line on the half way....

So far so good. Very enjoyable.

Sam Tomkins and Shaun Johnson are frightening.

They've clicked immediately and the Warriors Backline looks like it will go close to being the best attacking backline in the NRL,'

Early days but they look a class above.

Tomkins has time , space and vision. He threw a massive cut out ball for Johnson which put Johnson 1:1 as in the World cup ( they've only known each other five minutes ) that sort of play will destroy a lot of teams defences.

What's the atmosphere like there my smart? It looks like the world's biggest boozy fancy dress party.

I watched this until about 1 am. It looked really good both from a crowd and on pitch action point.

What's the atmosphere like there my smart? It looks like the world's biggest boozy fancy dress party.

Atmosphere is brilliant , unlike the Rugby sevens.....people had a party and paid close attention to the Games as well.

The party shots are during stoppages. All eyes on footy when the camera's on the footy.

When Tomkins walked out and clapped the Auckland crowd before the Manly game the place went Nuts.

Having a ball player put people into holes Like Tomkins with our electric backs is just beautiful to Watch. 

Atmosphere is brilliant , unlike the Rugby sevens.....people had a party and paid close attention to the Games as well.

When Tomkins walked out and clapped the Auckland crowd before the Manly game the place went Nuts.

Having a ball player put people into holes Like Tomkins with our electric backs is just beautiful to Watch. 

I wish I could have seen some of it, sounds like the Kiwis went really well, how did Tomkins go, how many tries did he score? Sounds like he cut loose.

Just catching up with it now. It's bleeding brilliant

I agree... it's been great so far.  To see what these guys can do with a bit of space has been fantastic.

Sam Tomkins and Shaun Johnson are frightening.

They've clicked immediately and the Warriors Backline looks like it will go close to being the best attacking backline in the NRL,'

Early days but they look a class above.

Tomkins has time , space and vision. He threw a massive cut out ball for Johnson which put Johnson 1:1 as in the World cup ( they've only known each other five minutes ) that sort of play will destroy a lot of teams defences.

I just watched the highlights and saw that Sam Tomkins pass to Johnson. What happened next gave me flashbacks, I'm still recovering. 

Fantastic coverage by Premier Sports....and we excluded them from Super League!

No edited highlights just every minute of every game.

Get rid of the Magic weekend with the odd number of games and replace it with a top class 9s tournament.

Recorded last night action, haven't got to the 1st game yet(as kids wanna watch Doc mc Stuffings) but already am more excited than any other coverage that we put on for our super league or challenge cup coverage here at home. Its certainly been marketed as an entertainment event.

Fantastic coverage by Premier Sports....and we excluded them from Super League!

No edited highlights just every minute of every game.

Get rid of the Magic weekend with the odd number of games and replace it with a top class 9s tournament.

Completely disagree about including Premier Sports. If we don't want our games to be watched in the single digit thousands we're best staying on Sky.

I agree about the 9's competition for the Magic Weekend, could really mix up the season if as with this tournament they guaranteed that salary capped players had to play. 

Some of the action.

The stands don't look full?

Fittlers try

Some of the action.

7's and 9's tournaments are notorious for people coming and going. 

Some of the action.

Fittlers try

During other games every seat was taken ... they'd probably started to go home after the warriors last game,,

Some of the action.

Fittlers try

The stand emptied out after the Warriors last game , It was boiling hot there today and Everyone knew there would be a mad Jam for the rush across to the Eminem concert a couple of blocks away....people just got out early to get a head start.

Most of the Day the place was jammed packed.....the opening it was about two thirds full. By the Warriors first game It was packed and stayed so till that last Warrior Game.

Tomorrow it will be Jammed packed from earlyish till the Final. Most fans won't want to Miss the Final.

The Highlights of the day spent in the Crowd :

Every Team when they made their first appearance on the side line to warm up got a rousing welcome , lots of players looked up in surprise when they heard a massive ROAR to see the NZ Fans were actually welcoming them all to the Nines.

Thereafter anyone playing the Warriors became the enemy ( to be expected ).

Brad Fittlers Try got the biggest Roar and a standing Ovation from the NZ fans....which shows they knew who was playing and the significance.

After being accused of making a Mockery......Fittler and Menzies were both given standing ovations from the fans in a surreal respect for what they have done for the game.

The opening Game between Newcastle and the Sharks set the place on fire and it just didn't let up. The Nines was amazing and I can't wait to go back sideline in the Middle of the park in my expensive seats tomorrow ....worth every cent.

Sam Tomkins is a hit.

They need to play the home team last on day one.

They would have learned from today.

Host team last next year...you watch. I bet some of the clubs who put in lame teams will try harder next year.....nearly every team except the likes of the Raiders ( Sticky stayed in Aus ) the Dogs ( Hassler stayed in Aus ) got one win...those two fell well short of a chance to give their fans something to look forward to for tomorrow like the rest of us. 

They need to play the home team last on day one.

They would have learned from today.

Host team last next year...you watch. I bet some of the clubs who put in lame teams will try harder next year.....nearly every team except the likes of the Raiders ( Sticky stayed in Aus ) the Dogs ( Hassler stayed in Aus ) got one win...those two fell well short of a chance to give their fans something to look forward to for tomorrow like the rest of us. 

Its a tough call though MS, some teams have a set course in their build up to the NRL season and their Holy Grail is winning or at least having a chance to win the Grand Final.

Not all teams will spread themselves and try and win each competition.

That is why at the beginning of this thread I was negative about how it would go, I realise its exceeded all expectations and should have a healthy future.

I am getting on and my first thoughts were how the short game went back in nineties where it started with all of the star players and after a few years became just young extremely quick speedsters from the lower grades that nobody really knew or cared that much about.

It died off in a hurry.

If they can keep the prize money up and make teams send a quota of first graders going forward it should prove a permanent fixture.

The format is prefect to replace magic weekend. Just need a sponsor to offer big prize money and we are all set. Felt very jealous with the rain and wind here watching everyone in fancy dress drinking beer in the sun.