Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duffymoon

LEAGUE EXPRESS

63 posts in this topic

Today's League Express reports that a consortium of local businessmen are involved in talks to takeover the club,there is no mention of Dr Koukash.On the playing front we have 14 players signed up and the Warrington link is set to continue,Ian Watson expects the team to be reasonably competitive in view of recent events.

Just think they are running out of things to print as everyone has been closed for Christmas

The article is penned by Gareth Walker and includes quotes from Ian Watson who it seems has spoken to members of the consortium so would assume there is some truth in this.

Slighty pessimistic look on the report Riggy. Or what is it that you know that you are not telling us!

Trust AGM next Tuesday 14th at White Lion so if you have now joined the trust you can attend.  If you haven't joined get your santa money in the post to Sam the treasurer and join the band.

Tweeted Gareth Walker earlier asking for clarification as to whether Koukash was involved.This is the reply I received.Gareth Walker

@garethwalker13

The off-field stuff is still a bit cloak and dagger at the moment but don't think he's involved in the main consortium Whether he gets involved further down the line remains to be seen but the consortium is aiming to secure the clubs future quickly.

Presumably the bone fide Swinton Lions contracted players from last season that haven't gone elsewhere - Ritchie Hawkyard, Darren Hawkyard, Mark Smith, Craig Harvey, Josh Barlow.

It seems Halifax didn't want Mick Nanyn back after his loan spell, so I'd imagine he's one of the fourteen.

Mike Morrison and Dale Cunniffe went to Oz on 12 month visas and it appears they've returned to the UK.

There was a rumour of James Brown.

With Ian Watson himself that would be 10.

So any ideas on the 14? Anyone got names to throw into the hat? Other than ian watson....

. according to League Express Dale Cunniffe and Mike Morrison are back and would imagine the Hawkyard brothers are involved.

Interesting information coming via Gareth Walker who seems to have his finger on the pulse of the game outside Super League better than most.  Thanks to Duffymoon for gleaning just a little more information from him.  Any more developments on the unfolding saga are eagerly awaited. 

I know there are sensitive negotiations underway but why can't the names of the players be released? What good does it serve to keep people in the dark?

Has Reece Williams signed for anyone? What about Al Hurst? Obviously I dont know but we are short by 4 at the moment!

We are keeping the names secret so that Leigh and Fev don't hear who they are

They've both got squads of 40+!

Has Reece Williams signed for anyone? What about Al Hurst? Obviously I dont know but we are short by 4 at the moment!

Before Christmas Al Hurst had been doing some training with Sedgley Tigers where my nephew plays.  He was still hoping to continue his career in Super League if something came his way.

Would imagine the Warrington link up will provide the remainder of the squad

You'd best be quick before Bradford take them all

I am struggling to see what Gareth Walker has said which is new

It all seems like a load of regurgitated rubbish to me from a lazy journalist who wants to sound like he knows more than anyone else

I am struggling to see what Gareth Walker has said which is new

It all seems like a load of regurgitated rubbish to me from a lazy journalist who wants to sound like he knows more than anyone else

I wasn't aware that a consortium of local businessmen were in talks to buy the club.I my assumption was it was Koukash or the Trust?

Sorry Mark I have to agree with Duffymoon ,it's the first time theres been any mention of local business men being involved. Also we do get imformation from Gareth which is more than can be said of Coco the clown of the M.E.N  and Avertiser.

Im certain a consortium of locsl business men was mentioned seversl times in previous rumours at the start of all this with links made with belle vue?

Equally dr marwan could easily be described this way.

The point remains its ambiguous pointless and useless information

I gave up on all newspapers a long time ago

I've given up on Facebook too although I did have a quick sneak at the lions page recently to witness more exchanges bordering on the unpleasant generated by this none news.

In fact flicking down a few tbreads from this one the "Manchester rlfc" debate thread I believe was based on this whole premise.
Or am I missing something...I'm not feeling my best today?

In fact just also found this quote from Loyal lion...John Kidd has basically stepped back and left Paul to deal with it all. No mention of the other board members at all. The top table did say that another party was interested but in Paul Kidd's view it would have meant that we would have had to move out of the area! 

Thanks for the ringing endorsements on this thread Mark…!

Just thought I’d come on and clarify a couple of things after seeing this discussion. Getting information out of the club hasn’t been easy for anyone of late from what I can gather – journalists and fans alike. Monday’s article (I’m not sure certain people have actually read it) was based around an interview with Ian Watson on the fact he now has 14 players regularly training, which, to my knowledge, hadn’t been reported anywhere before. All of the information in the article came from a chat with Ian, including the fact that he has been kept up to speed about talks with a consortium of people looking to run the club. He wasn’t in a position to go any further into it than that, which I understood. Similarly, he doesn't want to release the names of the majority of the players until any deal is finalised, in case rival clubs nip in.

Ian himself told me that nobody else had rung him, media wise, to get an update on the playing front, and there had been no public confirmation that he was leading the squad at the moment. In fact other clubs have been coveting his services during the close season up until very recently. However he now seems set to stay with Swinton, is busy assembling a squad, and League Express felt that those facts (plus the one that he will be playing on himself for another season) were newsworthy.

Genuinely, all the best to everyone involved with the club. I’m a Rochdale lad so know only too well what this is like. Good things can come out of adversity, and the discussions I’ve had with the RFL recently have been much more positive about Swinton’s future. Good luck all!