Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ivor001

New players

314 posts in this topic

We are probably amongst the favourites to go down. But you would fancy barrow, swinton, keighley and rochdale to struggle more than us and haven

Given our current squad you can't argue with anyone for predicting we could go down.

We have quality but no depth in our squad as it stands. Hopefully this is about to change very soon though.

Fair points right now . We can go on endlessly about what MIGHT happen ( with players not ours anyway ) but as things stand we have 20 or so players ? On Keith's formula how many of them are top 8 championship players . Sure makes you think ? Can't blame anyone for their pessimism as we stand.Id really like someone to come out and articulate why we've took the approach we have - we heard well before Christmas that we were waiting till January to do anything . Why ? We had momentum of a top 8 finish and the likelihood of a new cutthroat structure .Other teams were playing Boxing Day fixtures with 25 players , it certainly is interesting to hear why we've gone the other way.

It isn't my formula David it's what the clubs have voted for. We have 14 teams in our league at present so with 2 coming down plus 1 coming up and Toulouse coming in, thats 18 and they only want 12 means 6 of the 14 have to go. The six teams going down collect £25k each so no parachute payment for these clubs unlike the 2 SL clubs!!!

if Toulouse do come in for the 2015 season the we HAVE to finish in the top 8 or we are back down in Championship 1 with some long journeys and poor crowds. On a thread on the main forum about who people think will be relegated, several people are saying the 3 Cumbrian clubs are amongst the favourites to go down!!!!

Would the crowds be that much down if we did go down to Champ 1?

Obviously less visiting numbers, but crowds were not exactly fantastic last year, while

a winning team may bring in more locals, rather a team likely to be struggling to avoid

relegation in the championship.

Also if 5 teams are going down,  this means four others will be from heartlands, while only

one of York, Hunslet, Oldham, Gateshead will be going up, so that means 7

relatively close games.

Of course it is much better to be in the Championship, but on the other hand

don't think it would be the disaster some are predicting if we didn't make it. Some clubs,

including the rabble close to home may think its worth gambling financial security once again desperate to get into the championship, not so sure.

Just realised obviously the money for just staying in the championship should

be factored into what is spent. Typical RL proposal encouraging teams to

spend beyond their means so to get more sky money.

Yeah I think relegation is a totally over exaggerated concept for any club. Of course we are desperate to stop up, but if the other cumbria clubs were to go down as well then I dont think gate numbers would drop too much. And with promotion back up and running we would be one of the stronger sides if we were to keep our local based players. And who knows there would be a lot more chance of a trophy coming to derwent park. So I think all the doom mongery is over the top

Well all of that is after the fact , and you can spin it when you're in that situation , but right now the point people are pondering is are we doing all we can to make sure we don't end up there to begin with ? It tells you the mindset that we're having this discussion at all !!!

I disagree. Going down would be a disaster for workington town especially if any of the cumbrian clubs stay up and especially more if both do. We would lose all our better players and inevitably some fans would call it a day. It could end up in a downward spiral that would be difficult to get out of. I don't want to sound critical of the board but its time they let the fans know if they are still working on signings & loan's or if they are not and so if any new faces are to come in it will be on DR. I think the fans would be happy with just being updated on the situation what ever it may be.

In this new restructuring the bottom tier would be at a mighty disadvantage , from financially to support and awareness . The top tiers would have all the exposure , and getting out is far from a given . The money is tapered to the higher echelons , and a big gap could easily grow . We can spin it if we find ourselves there , but if so let's say we've at least give it everything and the competition was just stronger . Being in the middle tier is a must for me , it's a base to begin from , and the best league to watch . Nothing is calamitous if you have a club to watch , but as of now we have to give ourselves the best shot to hold our position . There's no excuse for going backwards.

Let's put this discussion on the far back burner ... It's all gonna turn around soon . It must !

I find it extraordinary that people think dropping down a league and playing against the likes of oxford, hemel stags and Gloucester all golds wouldnt be a disaster. However yes david hopefully it will turn around soon and the board come up trumps. We aren't a million miles away just a bit of size and aggressive forward play that thacks and acton brought and we will be ok.

I find it extraordinary that people think dropping down a league and playing against the likes of oxford, hemel stags and Gloucester all golds wouldnt be a disaster. However yes david hopefully it will turn around soon and the board come up trumps. We aren't a million miles away just a bit of size and aggressive forward play that thacks and acton brought and we will be ok.

Right so we should spend money we haven't got, to make sure we stay

in middle tier? Of course the aim is to stay in Championship, and one

which based on last season we are more than capable of achieving, but

it would not be the end of the club if it didn't make it, is all i'm saying.

As well as Oxford, Hemel, and Gloucester there would be around 8 other well

established teams in Championship 1, so little difference to the old

3rd division. 

Right so we should spend money we haven't got, to make sure we stay

in middle tier? Of course the aim is to stay in Championship, and one

which based on last season we are more than capable of achieving, but

it would not be the end of the club if it didn't make it, is all i'm saying.

As well as Oxford, Hemel, and Gloucester there would be around 8 other well

established teams in Championship 1, so little difference to the old

3rd division.

no we certainly must not spend money we haven't got. What the club must do is give a little bit of a statement to update the supporters on the squad situation. If we are going with what we have got plus the use of DR then fair enough but just let us know. If the BOD are still attempting signings or season long loans then just say so but obviously without mentioning names. As for playing oxford and hemel stags I would say our fragile crowds would drop even further. Lets not get carried away though there is still time and we aren't that far off and no doubt mr mullet will soon be reporting mass hysteria back to deluded.com lol.

Look no one is saying it would be a good thing to relegated, it just wouldnt spell the end for the club like some are making out. Im sure well survive.

Look no one is saying it would be a good thing to relegated, it just wouldnt spell the end for the club like some are making out. Im sure well survive.

no it wouldn't mean the end of the club wonky who has suggested that? However it would have consequences on the club. The quality of the players on show and crowds would suffer and it could take years to recover from and some fans will walk. I would just like some sort of update from the club and am starting to see the point of view of fans unhappy with the lack of information. I still believe there will be new additions but its cutting it fine.

I certainly didn't say or hint that it would be the death of the club.   What I said was that it would mean some long journeys and low crowds, which is a given fact going on the previous 10 or so seasons we spent in that league plus the number of southern clubs now in that league.    In 2009 and 2010 our average crowd was 474 and 470 respectively.   In 2012 our average was 892 but last year, it dropped to 783, but when we talk in these sort of figures, whilst still low, they are almost double what we were getting 3 and 4 years ago.

Long journeys to Hemel Hempstead, Gloucester, London, Oxford, South Wales will cause us no end of problems with travel and accommodation costs, etc.    With 6 (or 5) teams to go down plus Oldham, York, Hunslet who are down there unless one of them wins the league this season there is going to be some tough opposition for the 1 automatic promotion place and 1 via play-offs and as others have said we could lose players.

As for the money side of it, I don't know what the situation is there, all I can say is that we have lost Thackray, Dowes, Calderwood, Acton, etc, who would all be on decent salaries, from last seasons accounts.     

The bottom line is that we are all hoping like anything that there is something to come from the club in the short time left before the league starts.   We shall see.

I certainly didn't say or hint that it would be the death of the club. What I said was that it would mean some long journeys and low crowds, which is a given fact going on the previous 10 or so seasons we spent in that league plus the number of southern clubs now in that league. In 2009 and 2010 our average crowd was 474 and 470 respectively. In 2012 our average was 892 but last year, it dropped to 783, but when we talk in these sort of figures, whilst still low, they are almost double what we were getting 3 and 4 years ago.

Long journeys to Hemel Hempstead, Gloucester, London, Oxford, South Wales will cause us no end of problems with travel and accommodation costs, etc. With 6 (or 5) teams to go down plus Oldham, York, Hunslet who are down there unless one of them wins the league this season there is going to be some tough opposition for the 1 automatic promotion place and 1 via play-offs and as others have said we could lose players.

As for the money side of it, I don't know what the situation is there, all I can say is that we have lost Thackray, Dowes, Calderwood, Acton, etc, who would all be on decent salaries, from last seasons accounts.

The bottom line is that we are all hoping like anything that there is something to come from the club in the short time left before the league starts. We shall see.

I think this is going a little off topic mentioning the death of the club. Relegation and its consequences are for another thread. Lets wait and see if theres any announcements soon.

Yeah back to the topic does anyone know the young lads that will be getting a run out on sunday from cumbria academy???

No but that was very interesting . It seems to have come from Crarey himself . Taking more than a passing interest than just this week maybe ? If he invited everyone linked with town they wouldn't fit on the pitch !

Yeah back to the topic does anyone know the young lads that will be getting a run out on sunday from cumbria academy???

brad fearon from maryport is one name I heard from cumbria academy who will be involved against wigan

Unfortunately ourselves, Barrow and haven will have a fight to avoid the drop after the numpties at Red Hall once again attempt to obliterate the game below SL. I'm sure most fans would say that last season was the most enjoyable for many a year, but I agree with Toplad that relegation wouldn't be the catastrophe that most people predict. Mind you, if barrow and haven stayed up and we go down, then that would be a nightmare trying to keep our top players, fingers crossed that doesn't happen. :fie:

Still waiting on an announcement on players... Getting the feeling now that there might not actually be one

Your probably getting that feeling because your obviously rather stupid.

Well we could be in for a big surprise at the presidents dinner and be told about some  new signings, get yourself down there HAVEN10 you could be first to know.mind this is just an hope.

I see the 2 rumoured loanees are in the wigan squad for sunday. Hopefully they have there bags packed with them for an 8 month stay in gods country.