Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odsal Outlaw

Weekend Friendlies

132 posts in this topic

Brown has a different attitudes when an opposition player hits one of his players to that he has when a Saints players belts an opposition man.

He never shut up over the Scott Taylor/Gareth O'Brien incident yet when Meli stiff armed Craig Hall and knocked him unconcious Brown was very circumspect about it and certainly stayed away from suggesting the same punishment for Meli as he suggested for Taylor.

Taylor has no charge to answer, Meli was sent off and got a lengthy ban.

Last night I was behind the sticks at the Wigan end and it did look as though Walsh and Amor collided, although it is a long way off the incident. Both ended up on the ground and Walsh stayed down. I hope he's ok!

But that hit was a bad one nevertheless.

I agree that Brown's comments could be viewed as hypocritical, and in a sense I suppose they are, but few coaches seem to openly attack their own players in the media do they? After Mcllorum's despicable late hit on Anthony Laffranchi a couple of years ago Wane, during his post match interview, claimed that he'd been fully committed and didn't believe he should receive a ban for it. I don't remember Brown's comments on the Meli incident, but I don't think they could've been much worse than Wane's were on that occassion. I'm not really trying to knock Wane here, or Brown either. I'm just emphasising that it does seem to be common practice to defend, or at least keep quiet about, your own when the spotlight is on you, and rightly so in my opinion. It seems better to deal with things privately to me. If Wane (or any other coach for that matter) has publicly attacked his players over such incidents and this has gone over the top of my head then I will, of course, happily revise my opinions on the matter.  

I am surprised that Brown has run his mouth off on this occasion though, but at the same time I'm sort of glad he has because it seems to have caused some tension and a bit of bad feeling ahead of the season which makes things all the more exciting. His personal gripe with Wigan probably has less to do with being Saints coach than it does with the incidents of 2010 when he was rather unhappy with them to say the least. This is a big year for him, he has a much improved squad now and, compared to last year, there'll be few excuses for not performing.  

Saints are playing Rochdale at Spotland today.  Saints' squad is mostly academy players, although many of those have already played for the first team, plus three long term first teamers in Makinson, Gardner and Clough.

Brown has a different attitudes when an opposition player hits one of his players to that he has when a Saints players belts an opposition man.

He never shut up over the Scott Taylor/Gareth O'Brien incident yet when Meli stiff armed Craig Hall and knocked him unconcious Brown was very circumspect about it and certainly stayed away from suggesting the same punishment for Meli as he suggested for Taylor.

Taylor has no charge to answer, Meli was sent off and got a lengthy ban.

Last night I was behind the sticks at the Wigan end and it did look as though Walsh and Amor collided, although it is a long way off the incident. Both ended up on the ground and Walsh stayed down. I hope he's ok!

I'd argue Brown couldn't say anything about the Meli challenge as it was blatant and the bloke get sent off...

Link to Friday night's challenge is here:

https://vine.co/v/Mzdrbhg6x3v

There was a collison with Amor (is behind Walsh) but by the looks of it, a shoulder charge from Ben Flower...

I'd argue Brown couldn't say anything about the Meli challenge as it was blatant and the bloke get sent off...

Link to Friday night's challenge is here:

https://vine.co/v/Mzdrbhg6x3v

There was a collison with Amor (is behind Walsh) but by the looks of it, a shoulder charge from Ben Flower...

That doesn't look particularly good tbh. Not sure which player he makes contact with, what I do know is that neither of them had the ball.

Warrington team to play Leigh this afternoon:

Jordan Burke

Gene Ormsby

Ryan Shaw

Rhys Evans

Kevin Penny

Ben Currie

Gareth O'Brien

Anthony England

Brad Dwyer

Glenn Riley

Danny Bridge

James Laithwaite

Ben Evans

Subs:

Tom Walker

Declan Patton

Stefan Ratchford

Roy Asotasi

Micky Higham

Jack Johnson

Toby King

George King

Andy Ackers

Joe Philbin

Fev 18 Hull 0 after half !n hour. Hull not quite full strength but none the less, Fev good value for it.

Leigh leading Wire 16v12 with a minute or two to HT.

Bradford 10

Castleford 44

25 minutes remaining according to BCB radio.

Fev have now progressed to 36-6.

Still good value.

3,316 see Fev still romping it, 48-6 at the mo.

Wire were up 34 v 20 a couple of minutes back.

That doesn't look particularly good tbh. Not sure which player he makes contact with, what I do know is that neither of them had the ball.

It was a mis timed effort . Hardly a punch to the back of the head or one to a man pinned to the floor. :)

Whitehaven 24 - Gateshead 16 (HT: 0 -16)

Bulls 10

Cas 66

I know it's a friendly but, jeez that is depressing.

I know it's a friendly but, jeez that is depressing.

It's a warm-up game to try out preparations! :fie:

It was a mis timed effort . Hardly a punch to the back of the head or one to a man pinned to the floor. :)

Well yes, all off the ball incidents could be described as such.

Every time a Wigan player is naughty now are we going to have to back through the history of the game looking for other foul play?