Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

The Winter Olympics

119 posts in this topic

To me, skiing would only be interesting if they raced against each other instead of against the clock.

To me, skiing would only be interesting if they raced against each other instead of against the clock.

You are in luck! Check out Ski-Cross.

You are in luck! Check out Ski-Cross.

Jackass sports.

Good programme on the history of the Winter Olympics by Dan Snow on Beeb 2 tonight.

So how many, and in which sports will we win medals in Sochi?

Today's Google homepage - nice logo, good quote.

Ski Cross. Wasn't that the TRLers adopted sport from the last winter olympics? 

Listening to the opening ceremony there's been an attempt to hijack a plane in the Ukraine to fly to Sochi. Could be a nervous games for some of the competitors and fans.

It were nowt. A drunk, it seems .....Thake me tho Shotcthi.....hic!

Just watched and very much enjoyed the excellent opening ceremony.  Spoiled only by the inane bleatings of the vapid, insipid, uninspired, colourless, uninteresting, feeble, dull, boring, tedious, tired, unimaginative, lifeless, zestless,spiritless and vacuous Hazel Irvine.

Bring on the ice hockey, speed skating, curling and ski-jump!

Slopestyle Finals at 08:40 tomorrow for me

I caught a brief glimpse of qualification and the commentators were going crazy over the GB blokes in this, but the judges thought otherwise.

Noticed that the Women's Ice Hockey tournament is using a 'RLWC-style' Super Group, in which the top 2 progress directly to the semis and the bottom 2 go to the quarters.

GB's Jenny Jones has qualified for the Final of the Ladies Snowboarding Slope-Style. A big chance of Britain's first medal.

Final at 9.15 UK time

She got a bronze. Well done Jenny Jones. Team GB's first ever Olympic medal on snow apparently, and she was a hand touch away from something shinier.  She'll be kicking herself for that hand touch no doubt.

She got a bronze. Well done Jenny Jones. Team GB's first ever Olympic medal on snow apparently, and she was a hand touch away from something shinier.  She'll be kicking herself for that hand touch no doubt.

Very emotional to watch as well. Listening to the commentators showed how close knit the whole sport is.

Great achievement and a stunning event to watch.

Yep completely agree; really enjoyed it and great to see her picking up the Bronze...

Sadly Alain Baxter took a US Vicks or else he'd have had a bronze in Salt Lake City.  Poor chap.

Good to see a British medal even if it is in one of the X Games sports though.

Good to see a British medal even if it is in one of the X Games sports though.

Did you see the TV programme on the history of the winter Olympics? 

Downhill skiing was once looked down upon as a sport and wasn't taken seriously by those countries which have snowy mountains.  Thanks to a Brit, that attitude changed and downhill skiing in all its forms is a blue ribband event.  Maybe one day so will slopestyle snowboarding.

Either way, tis our first ever Olympic medal on snow which after some 90 years of waiting is worth a bit of celebration I reckon.

Whilst accepting that it is true of all sport, I find winter sports a bit too contrived. It's like sports invented by committee trying to come up with new variations on stuff you can do on snow and ice.

I watched the summer Olympics up until the road cycling. I was so inspired that I got the most usable bike out of the garage and missed most of the fortnight's action.

I don't think I'll be donning skates, skis, snowboards, etc.

Very emotional to watch as well. Listening to the commentators showed how close knit the whole sport is.

I ashamedly cheered when that poor Cech girl fell, only to suddenly realise that she was in a bad way........sorry Cech girl

Whilst accepting that it is true of all sport, I find winter sports a bit too contrived. It's like sports invented by committee trying to come up with new variations on stuff you can do on snow and ice.

Except downhill and cross country, surely?  People do ski in certain countries during the winter months just to get to work and the like.