Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

The Winter Olympics

119 posts in this topic

Except downhill and cross country, surely? People do ski in certain countries during the winter months just to get to work and the like.

Absoutely, but it took a few public school Brits to reinvent it as a sport. Lots of people go to work on trains and buses - actually if we can make bus riding an Olympic event in the next 20 years I reckon I'm in for a shout at a medal!

I ashamedly cheered when that poor Cech girl fell, only to suddenly realise that she was in a bad way........sorry Cech girl

Helmets work!

I also "cheered" if someone stumbled or put their hand down on landing. Felt a bit guilty but it passed.

At leastounded tea traying and Crresta running and ice brushing are not contrived sports .....ere...oh....

So what if "slopestyle " is new? For me it was great to see the enthusiasm, skill, camaraderie and sheer enjoyment of these mainly very young competitors. A breath of fresh air sweeping through the establishment orthodoxy of the old fart commentators. Ed Leigh a great commentator: "I can feel my pulse in my lower intestine", "she's got a smile that could make a hens egg hatch" "she's got a smile that could make bread rise."

I ashamedly cheered when that poor Cech girl fell, only to suddenly realise that she was in a bad way........sorry Cech girl

Czech, I don't think she's related to a Chelsea Goalkeeper who wears a scrum-cap

Anyone see the Russian Bronze medal speedskater undo her suit before forgetting she had nothing under it?

Anyone see the Russian Bronze medal speedskater undo her suit before forgetting she had nothing under it?

No, but haven't those women got some thighs on them!?!

re: The Slopestyle commentary. There's a word for a middle-aged man from East Cheam or Swindon trying to sound like a educationally-backward Californian teenager. That word is 'pitiful', although I'm sure other opinions will be offered. I ended up watching it with the sound off and enjoyed it rather more, especially Jenny's result. The scoring does seem somewhat opaque, though.

Listening to Radio 5 in the morning, you'd have thought that Slopestyle was the only event of the day. They managed to mention it about once every minute. So let's hear it for Sven Kramer's majestic win in the 5,000 metres speed skating, wince as we see a 10k cross-country ski race described as a 'sprint' and acknowledge the total and utter legend that is Ole Einar Bjoerndalen. About 10-15 years older than anyone else in the field and he wins his 7th gold and 12th Olympic medal overall.

re: The Slopestyle commentary. There's a word for a middle-aged man from East Cheam or Swindon trying to sound like a educationally-backward Californian teenager. That word is 'pitiful', although I'm sure other opinions will be offered. I ended up watching it with the sound off and enjoyed it rather more, especially Jenny's result. The scoring does seem somewhat opaque, though.

Listening to Radio 5 in the morning, you'd have thought that Slopestyle was the only event of the day. They managed to mention it about once every minute. So let's hear it for Sven Kramer's majestic win in the 5,000 metres speed skating, wince as we see a 10k cross-country ski race described as a 'sprint' and acknowledge the total and utter legend that is Ole Einar Bjoerndalen. About 10-15 years older than anyone else in the field and he wins his 7th gold and 12th Olympic medal overall.

I caught Sven Kramer's performance which I thought was just so impressive.  Holding back from the pace for the opening 3/4 and then just effortlessly blitzing for the final 1/4.

I have no issue with contrived sports given that all sports are contrived.  I find the X Games a bit tedious and take some convincing about sports with vague subjective scoring methods - in that intersection lives slopestyle and others.  I enjoyed what I saw, found the commentary to be utterly useless in explaining what was going on but I wouldn't have carried on watching without a Brit being in the running.

The commentary had me in stitches, I felt like I was hanging out with some teenage skateboarders round the back of Morrison's.

I liked the event though, some of the tricks the men were doing were totes rad.

The commentary had me in stitches, I felt like I was hanging out with some teenage skateboarders round the back of Morrison's.

kool!

Hella gnarly, bro!

Not big and not clever, but...

screen-shot-2014-02-09-at-21-45-05.png

No, but haven't those women got some thighs on them!?!

Steady now !

A quick check of Google confirms that the Daily Mail captured this moment and have reported in depth on this. Can't fault their Olympic coverage...

popular lass in the Washington Post..and Reuters, too.  I'd like to think she's started a trend!!

popular lass in the Washington Post..and Reuters, too.  I'd like to think she's started a trend!!

So long as ladies who are batting for the other side don't show an interest or she might be getting a call from Mr Putin.

Poor Elise Christie, so close to a 500m short track speed skating silver, but was DQed and placed 4th

Great sporting Olympics so far and much prefer the winter over the Summer games. Sochi 2014 has been very good so far and thankfully very safe both for athletes and spectators. Just a shame its cost so much when that money could have been used for schools, Hospitals etc. Also the politics have spoilt things a little. Not really into the new X Game Disciplines, but respect for the stunts they pull off. One mistake and its something broken if not worse. Think it was the Canadian girl who broke her jaw in one event. The Ice Hockey is always fantastic to watch and the Womens game between USA and Canada was quality. Biathlon is a sport I love to watch. You can be very fast skier, but then lose alot of time, even just missing 2 or 3 shots. Its good to see the leadership change so often. Ole Einar Bjoerndalen is a legend and glad he got another gold at 40 years old. The Luge has seen some great times posted and another sport enjoy watching. They have slowed it down a bit but still travel down at 140kph!! I was down at the Königsee track at Berchtesgadenover new years eve and its amazing just how fast these people go and the nerve they have. Watching it live you appreciate more than on TV. The atmosphere also is way better live. One false move can be very painful! Curling has seen some very close games and the skill involved is sometimes under estimated. Skiing is something I like watching and where a 100th of a second can make a difference. Ice Skating is personally I find the most boring event in the games and would gladly see it kicked out

Poor Elise Christie, so close to a 500m short track speed skating silver, but was DQed and placed 4th

Shame, but DQs and appeals are an ever-present factor in Short-Track.

Deserved to be DSQed as she took out 2 other contestants and ruined the chance for them to get gold.

Great sporting Olympics so far and much prefer the winter over the Summer games. Sochi 2014 has been very good so far and thankfully very safe both for athletes and spectators. Just a shame its cost so much when that money could have been used for schools, Hospitals etc. Also the politics have spoilt things a little. Not really into the new X Game Disciplines, but respect for the stunts they pull off. One mistake and its something broken if not worse. Think it was the Canadian girl who broke her jaw in one event. The Ice Hockey is always fantastic to watch and the Womens game between USA and Canada was quality. Biathlon is a sport I love to watch. You can be very fast skier, but then lose alot of time, even just missing 2 or 3 shots. Its good to see the leadership change so often. Ole Einar Bjoerndalen is a legend and glad he got another gold at 40 years old. The Luge has seen some great times posted and another sport enjoy watching. They have slowed it down a bit but still travel down at 140kph!! I was down at the Königsee track at Berchtesgadenover new years eve and its amazing just how fast these people go and the nerve they have. Watching it live you appreciate more than on TV. The atmosphere also is way better live. One false move can be very painful! Curling has seen some very close games and the skill involved is sometimes under estimated. Skiing is something I like watching and where a 100th of a second can make a difference. Ice Skating is personally I find the most boring event in the games and would gladly see it kicked out

The men's comp got off to a great start yesterday with a very good Swedish performance. The Russians looked good in patches today too.

Watching the USA/Canada women play and it dawned on me that both of those teams would beat the GB men's team. 

Watching the USA/Canada women play and it dawned on me that both of those teams would beat the GB men's team. 

Is that an actual true thing?  I mean, I have been impressed with what I've seen but wouldn't the boys be stronger (as in football etc) even if they don't have the same skill level?

Is that an actual true thing?  I mean, I have been impressed with what I've seen but wouldn't the boys be stronger (as in football etc) even if they don't have the same skill level?

Have you seen the women? Most of them could play scrum positions

We'd undoubtedly be stronger but I think we'd struggle to catch them. Our skating is very poor in comparison to the US and Canada. That alone would put them at a big advantage, then you add in the increased skill levels. What doesn't help is losing our best players to play in North American leagues, meaning they're never available for the national team.

What's truly frightening is watching the men - huge guys who move so fast and so gracefully.

We'd undoubtedly be stronger but I think we'd struggle to catch them. Our skating is very poor in comparison to the US and Canada. That alone would put them at a big advantage, then you add in the increased skill levels. What doesn't help is losing our best players to play in North American leagues, meaning they're never available for the national team.

What's truly frightening is watching the men - huge guys who move so fast and so gracefully.

Interesting points.  I don't know enough about hockey to say otherwise and, like I said, I have been very impressed by the standard of the women's game.  That said, I caught Russia and USA yesterday and in the bits I saw (I know Russia wobbled at other points) they were doing some quite magnificent plays.

One thing I have noticed is that I'm seeing the puck a lot more.  Is that better TV quality or have they done something to make it more visible?

It's not a proper Olympics if Yorkshire and the Celts don't win most of GB's medals.

;):tongue: