Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

South Wales Scorpions

59 posts in this topic

Joined up thinking? Host a world cup match in Neath and then leave the town without playing another game there? Hope it works out!

Joined up thinking? Host a world cup match in Neath and then leave the town without playing another game there? Hope it works out!

Neath got the game in the RLWC not by bidding for it. The interest has never been there. The joined up thinkings in moving them to Maesteg.

im not against the move, but I'm hoping its not an indication of the clubs ambition.

Maesteg has only 20K people there, granted its half an hour to swansea and the same to cardiff, but you need to attract people from those areas to support the team, 

Ive a feeling the Scorpions will become the wales rugby league academy for players who can't attract other clubs, losing its independence.

I do hope that I'm wrong though.

Just checked there are no trains on a Sunday to Maesteg and there are no directions to the ground on the Maesteg website.

Beggars can't be choosers.  Maesteg is probably a better bet for visiting fans in general (though I do note the lack of trains) and, given that South Wales like London are serving a pretty spread community it's probably better for that as well.

But I worry about clubs that don't appear to have much solidity behind them.  I hope Scorpions can make this work.

Club is looking for 50% of games on Saturdays.

Buses go every hour from Bridgend on Sundays and the club and fans are coordinating pickups across S Wales.

Scorpions website will have full details on directions etc in due course.

It's pleasing to read that a decision has finally been made. I think it's been apparent for some time that maesteg would be chosen, and I'm already looking forward to my first scorpions game, though a family holiday means I won't be able to make the opener on the 2nd March, typical! Personally, games on a Sunday shouldn't be a problem, but I can understand other people's frustration. Good luck everyone in the preparations for the new season!

The club has already liaised with fans in regard to assisting with lifts etc. there are direct trains to a Bridgend on Sundays and consequently lifts have been offered by several fans, whilst others, including the supporters club have offered to ensure that spaces are allocated to make sure that no-one misses out.

All part of the club as a whole working together.

I read on Twitter that a new coach and backroom staff have now been officially appointed as well as the move to Maestag being finalised.  All sounding good!  Hopefully this will be the start of something really positive for the Scorps and RL in south Wales generally.

Best of our good wishes to our friends in South Wales. Hope all goes well for the move and the news season.

Best of luck boys !

Our game with South Wales Scorpions has been brought forward by 24 hours.

The game now kicks off on Saturday 21st June at 3pm.

I should have known you would post in French. ;)). 

Should have said "meilleurs voeux et bonne chance!" :tongue:  (best wishes and good luck). Seriously would like to get down to Maesteg this summer, Bramley commitments allowing.

And again. The last two stories are so similar, they're being merged before being sent out to the media tomorrow. http://www.scorpionsrl.com/Home/Page

There are now 19 players signed on the dotted line, a few of which haven't been announced yet. Another three are close to signing, which leaves three more left for the coaches to choose for the first team.

The 22 if all goes well,,,

2 are FULL WALES internationals

1 is a FULL ITALY international

8 are Wales A internationals

6 are Wales Student internationals

5 are Wales under 18 internationals

Some will have played for more than one international side but you get the drift. It's a good enthusiastic squad who are bonding well and training hard. Win lose or draw, that's the main thing for us this year, keeping the side together.

And again. The last two stories are so similar, they're being merged before being sent out to the media tomorrow. http://www.scorpionsrl.com/Home/Page

There are now 19 players signed on the dotted line, a few of which haven't been announced yet. Another three are close to signing, which leaves three more left for the coaches to choose for the first team.

The 22 if all goes well,,,

2 are FULL WALES internationals

1 is a FULL ITALY international

8 are Wales A internationals

6 are Wales Student internationals

5 are Wales under 18 internationals

Some will have played for more than one international side but you get the drift. It's a good enthusiastic squad who are bonding well and training hard. Win lose or draw, that's the main thing for us this year, keeping the side together.

no English. .. very good!! Keep up the good work!

no English. .. very good!! Keep up the good work!

Not entirely sure about that. You can qualify for Wales through residency. IIRC Roets is a Saffer but plays for Wales.