Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lionsfanusa

Rugby in the Olympics

6 posts in this topic

As part of the run up to the next summer Olympics,NBC, the national network with both Olympic and Premier League rights, has been showing more and more rugby in prime time. This weekend we got 6 hours over two afternoons of the US leg of the IRB Sevens from sunny Las Vegas, with all the usual nations represented. The stadium was sold out for the finals.

SA won over NZ, with Canada beating Samoa for third.

Sevens is a great ad for rugby even if it is the wrong code.

Getting into the Olympics was a major coup for the IRB and illustrates their big picture thinking compared with our friends at the RL.

Right now the USA isn't even sure of qualifying as the winner of a Canada-USA pool goes, and Canada looks stronger.

Just like in ice hockey!

Things could change as a number of NHL players have expressed interest. Amazing what the prospect of an Olympic medal will do. I wonder if any RL stars are of the same mindset?

There was an interview with the IRB chairman who said that 170 countries were now members and that he expected most all of the 204 IOC members would try to qualify for the 2020 games.

Regardless, it was great to get a rugby fix especially as the Patriots are done one game shy of the Super Bowl.

I've always favoured the Detroit Lions in their blue and white uniforms when it comes to the crash helmet game.  I wonder why?

The so-called fastest rugby player in the world, USA's Carlin Isles, has just signed for the Lions and is giving the NFL a shot, but expecting to be back for the Olympics. I can't vouch for the title, but man, is he fast!

Perhaps he could be encouraged to give the real Lions a go as a replacement for Kevin Penny or perhaps we would not be able to afford him?