Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Comedian to stand for European Parliament (add your own punchline)

24 posts in this topic

It’s time to get serious about NHS, says comedian Rufus Hound
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/its-time-to-get-serious-about-nhs-says-comedian-rufus-hound-9086435.html

Rufus Hound is planning to run for the European Parliament to campaign against the privatisation of the NHS, saying he wants to preserve “one of the single greatest achievements of any civilisation”.
The comedian, best known for his appearances on the Channel 4 quiz show 8 out of 10 Cats, announced over the weekend his intention to run as a candidate for the single-issue National Health Action (NHA) party in the May poll.

Good on him.  He's already seriously annoyed Toby Young and some of what passes for the free-market intelligentsia which means that he's on the side of the angels.

Politics get sillier by the month. That is in no way a criticism of Mr Hound.

Yorkshire  MEP Godfrey Bloom is thinking about standing for Parliament as a motorists'champion.

I'd love him to stand against Clegg.

Yorkshire  MEP Godfrey Bloom is thinking about standing for Parliament as a motorists'champion.

So what formula does Mr Bloom have for improving the plight of the UK's motorists?

I'll get me coat.

He'd save Clegg from having to drive between London and Sheffield.

With or without the usual hazards?

Great news. Hound will make an excellent MEP Opinionated, ill-informed, out of touch with reality, jumping on a populist bandwagon and wholly unqualified to pronounce on this £107,000,000,000 organisation, he fits the MEP template exactly. Addition, if he elected, he will no longer need to spout his rubbish on The News Quiz.

Great news. Hound will make an excellent MEP Opinionated, ill-informed, out of touch with reality, jumping on a populist bandwagon and wholly unqualified to pronounce on this £107,000,000,000 organisation, he fits the MEP template exactly. Addition, if he elected, he will no longer need to spout his rubbish on The News Quiz.

Put yourself forward John.

You made my glass of wine taste even better.

How about get some proper bloke be made an MEP like some Rugby League player /Boxer/MMA.

You made my glass of wine taste even better.

How about get some proper bloke be made an MEP like some Rugby League player /Boxer/MMA.

Plus he is not funny.

I would add my own punchline, but I would pick up another suspension

I'd love him to run over Clegg

Why do so many of the comedians who appear on the BBC these days have public school backgrounds?

Isn't anyone else funny?

Why do so many of the comedians who appear on the BBC these days have public school backgrounds?

Isn't anyone else funny?

90% of the media - that's all media by the way, not just the BBC - went to public school.  The proportion is rising.

It's cos they're so much better than us.

90% of the media - that's all media by the way, not just the BBC - went to public school.  The proportion is rising.

It's cos they're so much better than us.

Increasingly the only way to get into media work is to start with an unpaid internship. Only those from a wealthy background can afford to work for nothing. People from a wealthy background often attended public school. QED. 

Isn't anyone else funny?

The long answer is very complex, but the short answer is rising inequality.

It will get worse.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that most BBC comedy production is outsourced. So the same production comanies keep awarding projects to their own mates and roster of house-artistes.

Having said that, humour is not class-dependent. I think both Jack Whitehall and Sara Millican are brilliant at what they do.

As a Welshman, it grieves me to say that: 

- I can't do with Rhod Gilbert. His entire act is based on whingeing. Now he does need a kick.

- Rob Brydon is brilliant at panel shows and character-acting but his stand-up act that I saw was boorishly crude.

- Lloyd Langford is the only one I'd go to see.

- Paul Whitehouse is a genius but doesn't do live shows.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that most BBC comedy production is outsourced. So the same production comanies keep awarding projects to their own mates and roster of house-artistes.

Having said that, humour is not class-dependent. I think both Jack Whitehall and Sara Millican are brilliant at what they do.

As a Welshman, it grieves me to say that: 

- I can't do with Rhod Gilbert. His entire act is based on whingeing. Now he does need a kick.

- Rob Brydon is brilliant at panel shows and character-acting but his stand-up act that I saw was boorishly crude.

- Lloyd Langford is the only one I'd go to see.

- Paul Whitehouse is a genius but doesn't do live shows.

I saw Jack Whitehall die on his ###### in Manchester a few years back.   Slow handclapped off, the poor bloke.  Deserved it though.  There are funnier people in my office.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that most BBC comedy production is outsourced. So the same production companies keep awarding projects to their own mates and roster of house-artistes.

There is that, but those production companies are also in fierce competition for prime time slots on the main TV channels, so they will be looking to corner talent wherever they find it.

Mind you, what are the recent non-public school comedy shows on the BBC? That Ben Elton thing <shudders> and Mrs Brown's Boys (not a fan, myself).

There are funnier people in my office.

You're right. Margaret Hodge's posturing is hilarious.

The long answer is very complex, but the short answer is rising inequality.

It will get worse.

That all sounds ominous - or do you mean the comedy will get worse?

The answer, whether short or long, is that there's money in comedy these days, public schoolboys are good at sniffing it out and their pals are the people who commission new comedy shows and naturally look to their own kind.

At one time working class comedians learned their trade in music halls of the working-men's clubs, but those outlets have disappeared in the former case, or are disappearing in the second.

That all sounds ominous - or do you mean the comedy will get worse?

The answer, whether short or long, is that there's money in comedy these days, public schoolboys are good at sniffing it out and their pals are the people who commission new comedy shows and naturally look to their own kind.

At one time working class comedians learned their trade in music halls of the working-men's clubs, but those outlets have disappeared in the former case, or are disappearing in the second.

I'm not sure there really is money in comedy in practice.   

The fact is, if you want to make money in comedy you need to put money in first.  A lot of it.    Not many people can afford to live in London with no job and pay for annual trips to Edinburgh and so on.  I couldn't have afforded that when I was 22.  I had to work to eat.   That kind of cut short my comedy career (TBF, it's not the main reason I have no comedy career)

People say that you can make it if you work hard enough.  That's true, but it's a hell of a lot easier to work hard enough if you have the Bank of Mum and Dad keeping you afloat.  

Most of the comedians of the last 30 years are University types with Bank of M&D backing them, Uni provides either comedians, or politicions, unfortunatley most choose the wrong career