Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 more years.. seems quite a long contract to sign up for when there appears to be a bit of competition for SKY on the horizon in the form of BT Sport. Hope that contract includes a significant upgrade of the presentation of the sport across all sky's channels and an increase in the exposure SKY give RL on TV, in their media ads and via promotions. Though i said this last time the RFL signed a new contract and the opposite happened.

Maybe im just moody as its early and i haven't had my coffee yet, but no mention of a value to the contract usually means its nothing to shout about.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

So the doom mongers are wrong again;

No one will turn up for the World Cup,it will be a disaster,the marketing is a disaster - wrong.

There won't be a main sponsor for Super League,the RFL are in crisis - wrong.

Sky Sports have no interest in rugby league,I know because someone in the pub told me - wrong.

Now they will be running around for something else.It's not enough,it should have been more,I could have done better,tickets are too expensive,tickets are too cheap,sack someone,anyone,I don't care,I'm just jealous other people do better than me!!

Well done to the RFL.

I wouldn't expect the RFL/Sky to put numbers to this deal. I don't think they did at the last renewal but you would hope/expect that the RFL have used leverage of another interested broadcaster to get a good uplift on the existing deal.

So it looks like, broadly speaking Sky for RL and BT for the other game. Hopefully Sky will also put done money in the pot for the next RLWC.

You would like to think the RFL has said to sky. This is what we can give you and this is what it'll cost.

I've been a little surprised at the confidence with which the RFL have seemed to suggest the new structure is affordable and how some of the clubs you may think are more at risk from dropping down have voted for it. That suggests that the RFL have been able to show the extra money that can be generated.

Well done them.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

7 more years.. seems quite a long contract to sign up for when there appears to be a bit of competition for SKY on the horizon in the form of BT Sport. Hope that contract includes a significant upgrade of the presentation of the sport across all sky's channels and an increase in the exposure SKY give RL on TV, in their media ads and via promotions. Though i said this last time the RFL signed a new contract and the opposite happened.

Maybe im just moody as its early and i haven't had my coffee yet, but no mention of a value to the contract usually means its nothing to shout about.

Agreed - also tying in the second and third tier and 3x8 bits needs careful thinking. The second tier and middle 8 games add a massive amount of extra interest compared to SL under licensing. I got shut of sky for that reason but will defo renew if they get both. Must be thousands like me...

The rfl don't need to put a value on the deal, one of the chairmen will be indiscreet enough for us to know the full details soon

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Dear me, some red faces on here today, as we speak probably scurrying around looking for snippets to justify the clueless carp they have been spouting regarding a second tier being of no interest to sky

Your insular, dated and little me attitudes are holding our sport back

As a sport mainly confined to the north we have great value, that value increases as we become stronger geographically. Simple strategy is let's pick the low hanging fruit to maximise our value whilst creating a platform for expansion

At last we have some foundations to build our cathedral upon don't let the Luddites sack it

You would hope there had been a significant increase from the current deal to forego a potential bid by BT and Premier Sports.

I would love to know the details but looking at previous deals (from the Watkins report) the current superleague deal is worth £22.5m per year - a £5m-£6m increase per year from the last deal.  As this new deal takes into account the championship as well I would hope that this deal is worth at least £30m per year - or £150m for the 5 years.

If we got close to the £200m mark then that would be amazing, but not out of the question given the current broadcasting market and the increase in games Sky will be showing

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this - unlikely - but reading the RFL statement I did wonder whether the Catalan home games would be shown live. Sky used to show delayed highlights through the night, perhaps it's just a return to this.

Either way its a positive move. Always enjoy watching Cattalan home games.

With a bit of potential competition from BT Sport i would have hoped the RFL (or whoever did the deal for them, IMG maybe) would have investigated the possibility of one game a week on terrestrial TV, or at least looked to break up the coverage options into packages. Full details of such discussions and the finer details of these TV contracts are never communicated with the fans though.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

With a bit of potential competition from BT Sport i would have hoped the RFL (or whoever did the deal for them, IMG maybe) would have investigated the possibility of one game a week on terrestrial TV, or at least looked to break up the coverage options into packages.

People should start to realise this is never going to happen. Weekly live covarage of any sport on terrestrial now is practically non existent, plus Sky love exclusivity. If they have to share usually they aren't interested (save absolutely massive sports like Football and F1) which is why they didn't get the RLWC

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

People should start to realise this is never going to happen. Weekly live covarage of any sport on terrestrial now is practically non existent, plus Sky love exclusivity. If they have to share usually they aren't interested (save absolutely massive sports like Football and F1) which is why they didn't get the RLWC

Yes, I've never got why people talk about this. 

The bigger focus should be getting a quality magazine show at a decent time, shown nationally.

Whatever the money concerned is, the amount of RL on Sky will increase, which is good news. And Catalans home games are a long-overdue bonus.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah, wishful thinking i guess. Apparently discussions over TV contract were only with SKY, no others spoken to (according to the wonderful world of twitter).

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The Catalans home games thing is a bit odd, im assuming they'll get the feed at a minimal cost from the French coverage so therefore its a way of increasing overall coverage of Super League without much additional cost to themselves?

Presumably. It makes sense for them to do this.

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Archived