Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Martyn Sadler

Premier Sports pulls out of the Championship

167 posts in this topic

So, to clarify, the RFL should have turned down a rumoured 200m+ deal so that a small satellite channel could continue to show games for free?

yes seems crazy I think they should be straight back on the phone grovelling to premier sports to come back

That isn't what is happening though. Firstly, in 2014 there will be no matches shown from the Championships. Secondly, where does it say that we will enjoy a Championship game every week? My guess would be that Sky will only show those Championship games which fall into the final period of the daft new system they have adopted when the fight is on for promotion spots. And we won't see any Championship 1 games at all or any Canadian rugby league or college rugby league or random rugby league events that Premier opted to screen in addition to their contracted schedule. For those of us who enjoy the world of rugby league, as opposed to planet Superleague, the loss of Premier Sports this season is a big loss.

The reason there is no Championship coverage this year is because the cowboys you hold in such high regard have spat their dummy out. The 7 year commitment from Sky makes up for this blip.

You are guessing what coverage Sky will give. It has been confirmed there will be regular coverage and as the number of games will increase from 80 to 'over 100' per year it suggests it'll be more than just the playoffs.

From 2015 we will see more top flight RL than ever. As hasbeen mentioned Premier still have plenty of RL we'll see if theycut off their nose to spite their face.

So, to clarify, the RFL should have turned down a rumoured 200m+ deal so that a small satellite channel could continue to show games for free?

Now you are just being silly. 

The reason there is no Championship coverage this year is because the cowboys you hold in such high regard have spat their dummy out. The 7 year commitment from Sky makes up for this blip.

Sky are showing matches from both Championships every week from this season are they?  Are they showing weekly Championships games from 2015 even?  And why does a 7 year commitment from Sky make up for it?

You are guessing what coverage Sky will give. It has been confirmed there will be regular coverage and as the number of games will increase from 80 to 'over 100' per year it suggests it'll be more than just the playoffs.

You are guessing too!

That's just my point.

premier sports cost championship clubs money showing games so for that reason alone it is great news plus now I don't have the prospect of having to go to a game on a Monday or Tuesday night

The same reasoning applies to Sky.  Whenever a match is on TV it will keep some punters at home or in the pub rather than at the game.  That's no reason to bin a partner who has actually done a very good job at covering the Championships, plus other RL events.

Sky are showing matches from both Championships every week from this season are they? Are they showing weekly Championships games from 2015 even? And why does a 7 year commitment from Sky make up for it?

what does this post mean? It simply doesnt make sense.

They will be showing regular Championship coverage from 2015-2021 - 7 years.

On the 7 year point, I am saying we have long term security - will Premier even be here in 7 years.

The same reasoning applies to Sky. Whenever a match is on TV it will keep some punters at home or in the pub rather than at the game. That's no reason to bin a partner who has actually done a very good job at covering the Championships, plus other RL events.

The difference being Sky are paying good money to make up for that inconvenience.

You are guessing too!

That's just my point.

I quoted what was said. Regular coverage.

what does this post mean? It simply doesnt make sense.

They will be showing regular Championship coverage from 2015-2021 - 7 years.

On the 7 year point, I am saying we have long term security - will Premier even be here in 7 years.

What is regular coverage?

The same reasoning applies to Sky. Whenever a match is on TV it will keep some punters at home or in the pub rather than at the game. That's no reason to bin a partner who has actually done a very good job at covering the Championships, plus other RL events.

Sky are paying £200m to the game. This will make up for any drop in attendances.

Premier pay how much to championship clubs to screen their games?

The difference being Sky are paying good money to make up for that inconvenience.

For the Championships?  Does anyone yet know what portion of Sky's money the Championships will get?  Last I heard there was a bit of a rebellion among the SL clubs on this matter, about seven of them wanting the Championships to get relatively little, if memory serves.

the difference being that the clubs will get a hell of a lot of money from sky to more than compensate and they actually lose money when on premier sports so the same reasoning doesn't apply

Sky are showing matches from both Championships every week from this season are they?  Are they showing weekly Championships games from 2015 even?  And why does a 7 year commitment from Sky make up for it?

Sky are paying, Premier never paid a penny and actually cost club a lot of lost revenue. 

I like nothing better than disappearing to the man cave to watch Championship Rugby, but I'll live with a season without it for the greater good.

NRL doesn't really interest me, so with regret, my DD has been cancelled.  I assume many others will do the same.  I hope what appears to be a petulant response from Premier doesn't bite them in the backside.

What is regular coverage?

dunno.

You think its 7-8 games at the end of the year. I think they'll show 20+ games based on the high level details provided.

Sky are paying £200m to the game. This will make up for any drop in attendances.

Premier pay how much to championship clubs to screen their games?

As far as I know, the £200 million was cited by Chris Irvine on Twitter.  Maybe we will get to know the actual amount or maybe we won't.  But just now we are relying upon Irvine to have his facts straight.  And how much of that will cascade to Championships?  As I said above, there was a conflict on that very point which has still to be resolved.

For the Championships? Does anyone yet know what portion of Sky's money the Championships will get? Last I heard there was a bit of a rebellion among the SL clubs on this matter, about seven of them wanting the Championships to get relatively little, if memory serves.

Relatively little will be a damned sight more than nothing.

the difference being that the clubs will get a hell of a lot of money from sky to more than compensate and they actually lose money when on premier sports so the same reasoning doesn't apply

We don't yet know that they will get 'a hell of a lot' more money.  I'm sure they will get more, if the deal is as suggested, but exactly how much more is wide open to debate at this stage.  I'm not sure how they were losing money with Premier since Sky showed the matches on a Thursday prior to Premier taking over rights?  And the Championships still got a portion of Sky money from Superleague even when Premier took over. 

One thing that concerns me is that Kingstone Press may be put off by Premier's withdrawal.

Relatively little will be a damned sight more than nothing.

But that has nothing to do with Premier, since the Championships get a portion of Sky money now.

I have paid in advance until about July so will have it regardless. PS may be a lot smaller than SKY but you got the impression that RL mattered more. I understand why they have done it but I think they could have possibly have acknowledged PS.

dunno.

You think its 7-8 games at the end of the year. I think they'll show 20+ games based on the high level details provided.

I have no idea how many games it is but my first guess was that they will want to cover the back end when the promotion battle is on and the other battles are on.  We may just get an influx of Championship matches during that final period without the bulk of the season being shown at all.

My point is that yet again we have no idea.  We can only guess.  The RFL has not been explicit.  It never bloody is.  Drives me nuts.

I have paid in advance until about July so will have it regardless. PS may be a lot smaller than SKY but you got the impression that RL mattered more. I understand why they have done it but I think they could have possibly have acknowledged PS.

Exactly.

I'm sticking with PS. 

I have no idea how many games it is but my first guess was that they will want to cover the back end when the promotion battle is on and the other battles are on. We may just get an influx of Championship matches during that final period without the bulk of the season being shown at all.

My point is that yet again we have no idea. We can only guess. The RFL has not been explicit. It never bloody is. Drives me nuts.

I suspect we will get more detail as we get closer to the time. This was just an initial press release.

We don't yet know that they will get 'a hell of a lot' more money. I'm sure they will get more, if the deal is as suggested, but exactly how much more is wide open to debate at this stage. I'm not sure how they were losing money with Premier since Sky showed the matches on a Thursday prior to Premier taking over rights? And the Championships still got a portion of Sky money from Superleague even when Premier took over.

One thing that concerns me is that Kingstone Press may be put off by Premier's withdrawal.

im pretty sure fev refused on two occasions to be on premier because of the revenue they would of lost, the loss of around 500+ fans at championship level is a lot of money

I suspect we will get more detail as we get closer to the time. This was just an initial press release.

This is a kind of mantra within rugby league at the moment!  We'll be waiting for more details of the new structure closer to the time and more details of the TV deal, etc, etc.  Master planning.

Anyway.  My rugby league world has now shrunk and I shall miss Premier Sports and their Championship coverage.  Not that my view matters of course but I still hold it.