Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Appleman

Kurt Haggerty Joins Leigh On Loan

83 posts in this topic

Cant believe people are suggesting barrow didnt have a choice and it was all up to kurt, he signed a contract to be a barrow player he should have been told hes not going anywhere. Its a bit naff for the bloke thats sponsered him aswell!

shows the state of the game . out on loan. ? how long a contract was he on at barrow and if only one season then he has really signed for leigh. if this is the case we should have got a fee for him but as others have said if he hasn't got barrow 100% in his blood move him on. hope the players we get in exchange get the welcome feeling from us and prove leigh made a mistake swapping them for kurt.

The Raiders have sold season tickets on the back of their squad too,I have to say I am disappointed that he has left.

Strange decision for me like?

I dont. Tom Spencer old? Jake Emitt old? Sam Barlow was the best prop in the league last year and he's 25. They've got a bit of youth on the fringes also.

If you fancy ourselves against that pack, you are quite frankly delusional.

We will see on 23rd Feb and i`ve been called much worse.

I would also like to know if Anthony Murray was asked about this or was it a directors decision?

Cant believe people are suggesting barrow didnt have a choice and it was all up to kurt, he signed a contract to be a barrow player he should have been told hes not going anywhere. Its a bit naff for the bloke thats sponsered him aswell!

I agree with the sonsoring bit but if he was given time to think about it and decided to leave, good luck to him. I'd rather have someone who wants to play for us.

As a Leigh fan, I can sympathise with you guys. We had built a squad of 29 players, to cover for the kind of injuries we (and all other Championship teams) suffered last season. So, to let up to four of the presumably younger players go, seems puzzling to me. Accepted that Haggerty is class in this league, and will improve our pack, I feel personally that I would have liked to see our youngsters retained, to get their chance when injuries arrive.

As for how we can afford it, we have a new, large BOD at the club. They have all pledged considerable investment, over the next three years, and the club is at last attracting some new sponsorship deals. The two that stand out are O2, (through their Leigh franchise) and Evans Halshaw - actually Vauxhall Europe.

So, I can well understand the bad taste this leaves with you, and I hope that our young players ALL prove a hit at Barrow and help you to keep well away from those 'relegation' spots. Meanwhile, I hope Haggerty, who has been a Leigh player twice before, helps to keep us away from them too!

Good luck for 2014.

Anthony Murray was on radio Cumbria earlier and knew all About it .

It was haggertys decision to go to Leigh .. It was the BOD and Murray who told him about the offer as it was their duty to .. (And surely IMO out of respect for the player ?)

Says in tomorrow's evening mail the bod and Murray told Kurt they didn't want him to leave but his mind was made up..

So what could they do ? Not tell him, .. he finds out they didn't tell him ( and he would have found out ) he's then not happy .. What then ? Resents barrow for making him

Stay .. ? Doesn't play up to par ?

Then what about the other players ? How many would wonder .. " has anyone come in for me ? Have they not told me ? ..

Whether it's right or wrong .. Haggerty has done the right thing for him and his future and now the bod and the team must carry on and just get on with it . Let's get behind the new players coming in ! Let's not slag them off before we see them play . Briscoe played almost every game last season for Leigh .

This is just my opinion . Looking forward to Sunday . Let's see what happens . Weather permitting . !

Briscoe is solid been in Leigh's first team 3 years, doesn't miss tackles, decent stocky build and can do 80 minutes, not the greatest going forward but just keeps coming and goes un-noticed.

Bullock is a puzzler for me as he is IMO the next Chris Hill and I thought he looked a class apart recently against Rochdale and Crusaders, he bossed the park, I was hoping he would get some game time this year, 6 3", good build, quick and ALWAYS makes good yards and lands on his front.

Both excellent additions for Barrow.

Not happy that Haggerty has gone and seems a very strange decision, Kurt didn't jump at the chance to leave but "took is time to decide". I would therefore have thought simply telling Kurt, "we have been approached by Leigh who want you in there team this year, but we have declined their offer as you are a big part of the Barrow team in what is going to be a massively important year WE NEED YOU HERE".  He would have known that an offer had been made but would not have been left with any decision to make,had he felt very strongly that he wanted to leave he could have said but from the statement it doesn't appear that he had any urge to leave until asked if he wanted to leave.

Anyway we are where we are and lets hope it works out well for Barrow, if this does backfire I think that some of the moaning that we have seen in the past on this forum will seem like a storm in a tea cup, but I am sure that those wo made this decision will be fully aware of the backlash that there will be if we end up getting shafted on this deal.

Regards Penno

As a Leigh fan, I can sympathise with you guys. We had built a squad of 29 players, to cover for the kind of injuries we (and all other Championship teams) suffered last season. So, to let up to four of the presumably younger players go, seems puzzling to me. Accepted that Haggerty is class in this league, and will improve our pack, I feel personally that I would have liked to see our youngsters retained, to get their chance when injuries arrive.

As for how we can afford it, we have a new, large BOD at the club. They have all pledged considerable investment, over the next three years, and the club is at last attracting some new sponsorship deals. The two that stand out are O2, (through their Leigh franchise) and Evans Halshaw - actually Vauxhall Europe.

So, I can well understand the bad taste this leaves with you, and I hope that our young players ALL prove a hit at Barrow and help you to keep well away from those 'relegation' spots. Meanwhile, I hope Haggerty, who has been a Leigh player twice before, helps to keep us away from them too!

Good luck for 2014.

Briscoe is solid been in Leigh's first team 3 years, doesn't miss tackles, decent stocky build and can do 80 minutes, not the greatest going forward but just keeps coming and goes un-noticed.

Bullock is a puzzler for me as he is IMO the next Chris Hill and I thought he looked a class apart recently against Rochdale and Crusaders, he bossed the park, I was hoping he would get some game time this year, 6 3", good build, quick and ALWAYS makes good yards and lands on his front.

Both excellent additions for Barrow.

Correct. 2 very good players who Barrow fans will soon notice.

As a Leigh fan, I can sympathise with you guys. We had built a squad of 29 players, to cover for the kind of injuries we (and all other Championship teams) suffered last season. So, to let up to four of the presumably younger players go, seems puzzling to me. Accepted that Haggerty is class in this league, and will improve our pack, I feel personally that I would have liked to see our youngsters retained, to get their chance when injuries arrive.As for how we can afford it, we have a new, large BOD at the club. They have all pledged considerable investment, over the next three years, and the club is at last attracting some new sponsorship deals. The two that stand out are O2, (through their Leigh franchise) and Evans Halshaw - actually Vauxhall Europe.So, I can well understand the bad taste this leaves with you, and I hope that our young players ALL prove a hit at Barrow and help you to keep well away from those 'relegation' spots. Meanwhile, I hope Haggerty, who has been a Leigh player twice before, helps to keep us away from them too!Good luck for 2014.

Maybe you guys had to let upto four youngsters go to squeeze him in under your salary cap?

I agree with Penno but I guess we will just have to crack on now?

Letting one of your best players go almost on the eve of the season is not a good move,but I will place my trust in the clubs decision and I hope that it comes up trumps!

This is the difference between a club who's Directors are in a position to put finance forward and a club who's Directors are not in that position.

Leigh are building for the future SL2 and above, Barrow are not in that position, but when a club in a better position than yourself at this stage of the season offers up to FOUR players for one of yours tells you what an investment you have. A business doe's not sell its best assets without suffering in some way?

What happens now if clubs come in for the other senior players we have? The BoD have set a precedence now

On the financial side we offload one travelling player for the chance of gaining four travelling players? We are constantly being told the club has no money this doe's not make sense.

No doubt the BoD can justify doing this as on paper it looks ridiculous .

When a player signs for a club as we are told Haggerty had signed for Barrow binds him to that club, as we are told he has gone to Leigh on loan tells us he is a Registered Barrow player? After one pre season friendly he leaves for Leigh? I think the BoD have a considerable number of questions to answer, or it is a big mistake by the BoD?

I'm not happy about it but it's happened now . Let's see what happens . At the end of the day we can get him back . If we need him.

According to one of our directors on our RFL site he's a season long loan and cannot be recalled. I can understand how you all feel I would feel the same if it was the other way round, good luck for the season hope the players you have got in exchange play well for you.

Why have we let one of our best players of last season go ? not just to any team but to a team in our league that we'll find hard to beat at the best of times and now our job has been made that bit hard in my opinion ! I know one player doesn't make a team but he was a big player for us last season , and with him signing another contract surely we had more say on where he would be playing next season .I believe we should have stood our ground and said if you want to go and leigh want you that much then no loan deal they will have pay for you ! these players that are coming on loan have more chance of game time with us than leigh so when they return they'll be that little bit more experienced thanks to us so leigh will benefit  in the end ,  I'm not sure how long kurt''s contract is ( was ) for but I'm guessing and only guessing that end off loan deal he'll be free to sign for them and we'll not get a penny  .Good luck to kurt  at leigh and hope it works out for him .

Good luck to Kurt at Leigh. I hope the Leigh lads are up for it with us as they do look handy! Also if there is one, maybe two others coming as well hope they are quality too?

I can understand Kurt going to Leigh what with him wanting SL and coaching at Pilks + much less travelling etc BUT he shouldn't have signed if that what he wanted.

Lets give these new guys a chance eh?

Also I would've been much unhappier if it was Bull that had moved clubs as he IS the one player we can ill afford to lose IMHO !

The BOD have made some huge mistakes over the past several months but this one takes the biscuit. To say that Barrow Raiders had no choice but to let him go is a complete and utter load of rubbish. He was under contract to Barrow so the decision was never his to make. He should never have been given the choice. The BOD should have said NO and that would be the end of it. Kurt would still have given 100% in all the games he played for us as he wanted to be seen by other clubs as a player who was quite capable of playing at a higher level. He would not of let himself down. What I read in the Evening Mail I take with a pinch of salt as most of it is just lie after lie after lie. The BOD will NEVER tell the supporters the truth. You should all know that by now. Lets face it, what does Andy Gaffney know about rugby. The whole thing is just a huge joke. God help Raiders next season. There are far too many young unproven players in the squad.

Why single Andy gaffney out ? He's not the one who makes the decisions ? It's Murray who chooses the players he was involved in the decision as was Haggerty .

Andy does his best for the club of that I'm sure so blaming him when we don't know what's really gone on is a bit harsh .

Andy does his best for the club of that I'm sure so blaming him when we don't know what's really gone on is a bit harsh .

Exactly Mjc.

The BOD have made some huge mistakes over the past several months.

Have I missed something here? I'm not jumping at anything, I would just like to know what you mean by this. Cheers

The BOD have made some huge mistakes over the past several months but this one takes the biscuit. To say that Barrow Raiders had no choice but to let him go is a complete and utter load of rubbish. He was under contract to Barrow so the decision was never his to make. He should never have been given the choice. The BOD should have said NO and that would be the end of it. Kurt would still have given 100% in all the games he played for us as he wanted to be seen by other clubs as a player who was quite capable of playing at a higher level. He would not of let himself down. What I read in the Evening Mail I take with a pinch of salt as most of it is just lie after lie after lie. The BOD will NEVER tell the supporters the truth. You should all know that by now. Lets face it, what does Andy Gaffney know about rugby. The whole thing is just a huge joke. God help Raiders next season. There are far too many young unproven players in the squad.

Are you having a laugh?

Maybe you guys had to let upto four youngsters go to squeeze him in under your salary cap?

Fair point, and the answer is that I don't know where we stand in relation to the cap. However, we have signed some high-profile players for this season, some of whom are working for our Community Foundation. The youngsters you will be selecting from, won't be on a big wage at Leigh - probably consisting mainly of appearance money. I suspect Kurt won't have come that cheap though!