Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

07/02/14 - Wigan Warriors v Huddersfield Giants - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?   39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Huddersfield Giants by 1 to 6 points
    • Huddersfield Giants by 7 to 12 points
    • Huddersfield Giants by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

141 posts in this topic

No Tomkins. World Club Challenge on the horizon.

Hudds by 16. I think they'll surprise everyone.

Expect the North Stand to have more Wigan families in than Huddersfield supporters.

Should we also expect Wigan Latics to continue their reign as the best supported club in this rugby town?

From Wigan's ticket sales it looks like it will be a good crowd for this one.

Just heard on Radio 5, Josh Charnley's out injured for this match.

Yeah isn't in wigans 19 man squad they have released

Yeah isn't in wigans 19 man squad they have released

Recovery from a hernia operation is the news. He's expected to be ready to play in the WCC.

Wigan 19 Man Squad (in alphabetical order)

25 John Bateman, 1 Matty Bowen, 32 Joe Burgess, 24 Tony Clubb, 17 Dom Crosby, 12 Liam Farrell, 10 Ben Flower, 5 Anthony Gelling, 3 Darrell Goulding, 6 Blake Green, 14 Jack Hughes, 9 Michael McIlorum, 13 Sean O'Loughlin, 22 Eddy Pettybourne, 19 Sam Powell, 23 Dan Sarginson, 7 Matty Smith, 8 Scott Taylor, 4 Iain Thornley.

Looking forward to this already.

Wigan look to be weaker than last year and Huddersfield a bit stronger so I fancy Huddersfield to win it, but who knows?  Could go either way.

Should we also expect Wigan Latics to continue their reign as the best supported club in this rugby town?

What you blubbering on about, I'm referring to the fact that Wigan are selling tickets through schools for a fiver in the North Stand.

An excellent game to start the 2014 season.

The weather will play a big part as will a very good kicking game given the probable conditions, so with that in mind and the fact that Wigan have seen plenty change from last season in the playing roster I am going for a Giants win by 4pts.

It would not surprise me if Wigan won, but I think it will be a tight game and Huddersfield are pretty much the same team as last season except for the additions of Bailey, Kaufusi and Broughton who all improve the areas they have been brought in to play.

Wigan have a lot more change to cope with and it may be that they are not as cohesive as they will be in 5 or 6 games time.

Brough's kicking game will be paramount if the Giants are to prevail, but it was pretty good when it mattered last season so there is no reason to think it won't be on Friday night. Both coaches will want a physical test, but both will also look for control, concentration and completion in every set so it could well be an 80 minute "Armwrestle" that might not deliver a huge amount of points if the weather is as bad as the forecast.

Giants by 4 pts it is for me then!!!!

What you blubbering on about, I'm referring to the fact that Wigan are selling tickets through schools for a fiver in the North Stand.

So why bother comparing it to how many Huddersfield will bring?

Because I thought I might get a mug like you to take it wrongly.  :blum:

I'm puzzled - why bother bringing Latics into this? It struck me as a particularly unhelpful non sequitur, and somewhat out of character.

One thing Wigan are above reproach on I'd have thought is our support.

Looking forward to this already.

Wigan look to be weaker than last year and Huddersfield a bit stronger so I fancy Huddersfield to win it, but who knows?  Could go either way.

Time will tell, but I'd have thought Wigan are a fair bit stronger, while, having watched Bailey and Kaufusi for too much over the last couple of years, I can't imagine what Huddersfield see in them. Broughton is good though. For us, Bateman and Pettybourne offer far more in the forward, Burgess is a superb winger, and Sarginson looks a more dangerous centre. Bowen is more than handy, and, if fit, will complement the other 4 members of the spine of the team.

But that's the beauty of the off season, everything seems possible.

I'm puzzled - why bother bringing Latics into this? It struck me as a particularly unhelpful non sequitur, and somewhat out of character.

One thing Wigan are above reproach on I'd have thought is our support.

I was bemused to see a reference to away support.

I will drop it though.  Game threads should be for games.  We discuss crowds ad nauseum elsewhere.

I was bemused to see a reference to away support.

I will drop it though.  Game threads should be for games.  We discuss crowds ad nauseum elsewhere.

The reference was to home support.

Yer got mugged forgedit.

Expect the North Stand to have more Wigan families in than Huddersfield supporters.

More Wigan families than Huddersfield supporters?

BTW, how big is the average Wigan family?

More Wigan families than Huddersfield supporters?

BTW, how big is the average Wigan family?

Re-think that question.

The size of the family is irrelevant, just think about it. 

Admit it Padge, it was a cheap dig at the Giants supporters

Still if Wigan are having to give tickets away it's not good is it...

Giants are stonger than they were last season, match fitness will make the difference - this next comment is itellevant of the result but the reffing will be utterly baffling and over officious

Giants are stonger than they were last season, match fitness will make the difference - this next comment is itellevant of the result but the reffing will be utterly baffling and over officious

It wasn't a dig at all, I don't do cheap digs I do full on assault, in fact you'll find I am a big defender of Huddersfield, see posts passim. 

Wigan do this every season with the North Stand at some point, usually they do it through Heinz, they may still do yet, this one is through schools.

Interesting to see how Dan Sarginson plays if he makes the starting XIII. When he broke onto the scene at the Broncos the ex-Hemel stags Junior looked a good prospect since then not so. But one of the Iron rules of sport is that young players do not thrive in losing teams So we will see whether dan plays the footy of freedom or the footy of fear.

The footy of freedom is the confidence that comes from being in a good side which allows you to execute your skill set and become a risk taker secure in the knowledge that your side is good enough to compete.

The footy of fear by contrast is the lack of confidence that comes from playing in a beaten side, with confidence at bootstrap levels. far from expressing yourself on the field you play low risk no frills footy sticking to the planned five drives and a kick in the knowledge that if you get too far behind through errors, there's no way your side is coming back.

Enough of the Rea style ramblings., Much attention was given to Danny Brough's comment about Huddersfield happy to come in the top five and the lack of ambition percieved in such a coment. In fact Danny has hit the nail on the head This is merely the placing stage before the cup competition starts at the end of the regular season. it's then you have to step up.

It was no surprise to me that Huddersfield won the Hub Cap trinket at the end of the regular season, they were and are the most consistent side in Super League but that does not mean they are the best side. Wigan, Leeds, Warrington and maybe St Helens all have that extra fifth gear that the Giants lack. The Giants cruise along in 4th gear and over the course of a regualr season that's good enough yet when we get to the business end the flair sides show just what great players and great teams do in that they are not great all the time, nor consistent, but they show their greatness by winning the key moments and pressing home the advantage when it matters something that Danny Brough would like the Giants to be able to do.

With the World Cup Challenge coming up, I expect a comfortable Wigan win, which will stoke up false optimism about the strength of the Super League prior to a rude awakening in Sydney...

South Stand at Wigan sold out for this.

Suggestions on another board that 17,500 tickets already sold.

A great start for the season.

South Stand at Wigan sold out for this.

Suggestions on another board that 17,500 tickets already sold.

A great start for the season.

Let's hope for a great game to match.

Why is it not good?

Wigan are well aware that when certain teams visit the DW, there will be more than a few seats available. I, for one, would rather the ground was full of supporters, even if some of them are sitting on seats that didn't cost an awful lot.

Giving tickets away might not be perfect, but it looks much better coming from a team that already have a fantastic level of support in the first place.