Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

07/02/14 - Wigan Warriors v Huddersfield Giants - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?   39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Huddersfield Giants by 1 to 6 points
    • Huddersfield Giants by 7 to 12 points
    • Huddersfield Giants by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

141 posts in this topic

Despite the exceptional coaching skills of Shaun Wane, I just can't see Wigan getting close to a top 4 spot this year.

Mind you, I didn't think they would last year either. But if that team were middling (albeit a supremely well coached one), this one lacks grunt.

Despite the exceptional coaching skills of Shaun Wane, I just can't see Wigan getting close to a top 4 spot this year.

Mind you, I didn't think they would last year either. But if that team were middling (albeit a supremely well coached one), this one lacks grunt.

Keep it coming boys. The less chance people think Wigan have, the more chance of them winning.

Giants were good value for the win, They should be at least as good as last season if not better.

The game itself was decent for the opener, It didn't reach any new heights  or plumb any depths.

Wigan looked a bit like they are still trying to gell, and some of them would have thoughts about going to Oz on their mind  as well, Two pretend otherwise is just not realistic. They will do what Wigan usually do ,They will put things too right, They have lost some top players, takes time to adjust.

No reason to think Giants won't go well again, Hopefully all the way this year, Much will depend on Brough again, but no predictions from me.

I think a few players may target bowen for a few sly digs  as he reacted  a few times on friday

I think a few players may target bowen for a few sly digs  as he reacted  a few times on friday

You could be right of course, But to be honest i think he was just trying to have a really big game and prove his worth. We have to keep things within reality, It was a poor effort and he may well suffer for it. but i have seen thousands worse in my time as I'm sure you have.

Keep it coming boys. The less chance people think Wigan have, the more chance of them winning.

Well, not more chance statistically per se. But certainly more chance of lots of people being a-bloody-mazed if they do!

Clarke & Stevo can fawn over Matty Bowen all they like but I saw nothing last night to suggest that he's anywhere near the class that rat boy was. 

:biggrin: (juvenile laugh)

Rat Boy?

How old are you? 12?

:biggrin: (slightly more adult laugh)

Well, not more chance statistically per se. But certainly more chance of lots of people being a-bloody-mazed if they do!

Maybe not statistically, but would many people be more amazed than they were last year after writing them off?

Keep going.

I was mightily impressed by the Giants. If Danny Brough can stay injury free then there's no reason why they won't finish top of the pile again - after all, only they and Saints out of the top 5 look to be better on paper this year than last.

In the interest of variety, I hope they can convert that into a GF win this year, but it's too early for predictions of that nature.

As for Wigan, I can see it being a hard season ahead. Last year they weren't the same threat without Tomkins, and I expect the same this year.

I also wonder about the new kit. They don't really look like Wigan, both with respect to the kit, and the number of personnel changes. It might give the opposition a psychological advantage if, once on the pitch, it looks like they're facing Salford or something, instead of the double winners.

I think a few too many Wigan players were bothered about picking up an injury and missing the flight down under. Huddersfield weren't as impressive as I thought they would be, but it is the first game of the season, things can only get better as the team play together more, same with Wigan.

I think a few too many Wigan players were bothered about picking up an injury and missing the flight down under. Huddersfield weren't as impressive as I thought they would be, but it is the first game of the season, things can only get better as the team play together more, same with Wigan.

I expected The Giants to be rusty as we've only had one pre-season game. I went for a narrow Wigan win but that was when I thought SOL was playing. He's a big miss for them. Biggest downer for me is the injury to Larne Patrick - that didn't look good. He was playing well and looked to be back more as a second row with Ta'ai doing more prop work which is how it should be.

Huddersfield played really well with a great game plan and Brough. Shame Patrick got injured as I thought the was the best forward on the pitch at the time.

I thought Bowen looked spritely and was being wound up at every opportunity by the Giants. It was a poor shot from him, although the replay also showed hatchet man McIlorum making things even worse as ever.

Wigan will be fine this year and will be challenging again in the big games after the first half of the season spent gelling (no pun intended).

The Giants could go even further this year and are worthy additions to the big four alongside a revitalised Saints, a tough Wire and a classy Leeds.

I thought the game was ok, and agree with the poster above that Wigan were obviously not their fluent best because of their kit (although it did look similar to one of the Norweb ones I think)...

No charge for Bowen:

Late tackle on opponent after opponent has kicked the ball. Defender maintains contact with floor with one foot and does not jump in to contact. Initial contact is with shoulder which then causes the arm to slide up under the chin of the attacker. Defender has open hand throughout the tackle. Penalty sufficient.

No charge for Bowen:

Late tackle on opponent after opponent has kicked the ball. Defender maintains contact with floor with one foot and does not jump in to contact. Initial contact is with shoulder which then causes the arm to slide up under the chin of the attacker. Defender has open hand throughout the tackle. Penalty sufficient.

If that's the decision,it's garbage.it was a professional foul .He knew if he didn't stop him he was clean through

I have no axes to grind with the wigan lad or aussie. i hope wigan win in aus.

but in the    championship i'm sure the player would have got matches.

After reading comments about Wigan this season after one game I think we have to consider the following.

Wigan have had considerable change in the playing roster since last season.

They clearly have one eye on the WCC in Sydney.

Influential players and match winners such as O'Loughlin, Bateman and Charnley did not play and Micky McIllorum got 15-20minutes.

As a team they are likely to take 6-8 games before they really come together.

On a positive note I personally think they have more depth than most SL squads for 2014 and would put only Huddersfield and Leeds in the same bracket when it comes to assessing the overall depth of their squad.

Shaun Wane proved last year just how good a coach he is and if anything I sense he feels he has a better all round squad this season to go to war with.

Throughout the friendlies and the game with Huddersfield his squad selection is telling and at full strength I think he will run with.

1 - Bowen

2 - Charnley

3 - Goulding

4 - Sarginson

5 - Thornley

6 - Green

7 - Smith

8 - Taylor

9 - McIllorum

10 - Pettybourne

11 - Bateman

12 - Farrell

13 - O'Loughlin

When you consider the options and depth of squad outside of what is in that 13 I think it is safe to say Wigan look very strong for 2014.

They may have lost their opening fixture to a very good Huddersfield team that also has a lot of quality but judge Wigan and their 2014 season off that performance at your peril.

FYI........I am far from a Wigan supporter but I do appreciate just how much quality and the amount of versatility they have within their squad for 2014.