Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Whitley

The ins and outs of the new Super League TV deal

25 posts in this topic

Thanks for that.  Do you know if the Challenge Cup and International coverage is exclusive?  Terrible newd if this is the end of all live RL on BBC, but I would still hold out hope this is not the case and those parts are still available for shared coverage...

Thanks for that.  Do you know if the Challenge Cup and International coverage is exclusive?  Terrible newd if this is the end of all live RL on BBC, but I would still hold out hope this is not the case and those parts are still available for shared coverage...

That's the main worry for me, too. I'd like to think that Sky are aware of the shop window for the sport that terrestrial coverage offers.

I've got to say that on the face of it the deal looks great and a far cry from a lot of negative posts I've seen!

There hasn't been an announcement on this, I'm afraid. We will look into it.

a) So if we are getting £182m, why do the amounts going to SL, Champ and C1 clubs only total £163m - I assume this means the RFL/SLE will get their 10% cut (mentioned as the cost base in the policy doc)?

b ) Based on the Championship 1 splits, the 13 clubs in here will be getting £75k x 13 = £975k per annum = this totals £4.8m over 5 years or £6.8m if split over the 7 years. This is much higher than the £1.8m they are supposedly getting.

This is actually pretty difficult to understand, is the £200m split over the 7 years, or has some funds been filtered from the £200m to increase the amounts payable in 2015 and 2016?

Will these increases start in 2017?

Seems reasonable but the balancing act is....

a.  Committing to a deal that on top of the current means 8 years until next deal and hence you believe over that 8 years media rights market isn't going to increase much and hence best your going to get.

b. Await or do a shorter deal because you believe the media rights market will significantly improve and hence get lot better deal. That is you believe BT Sport may impact market more, plus new potential players like Vodaphone looking to spend the many billions they now have into investing or buying a broadband company and/or broadcaster to offer triple-play, like they are doing in Europe.

Providing the deal was done within the strategic framework of the RFL as distinct from panic reaction to Sky offer, If the former its all good, if the later more fools to themselves for not considering future competitive sports TV market. But time will tell if immediate money needs meant longer term was fully considered.

Never-the-less its more than the current, so that seems reasonable.

I know there will be people against the fact the 12 SL clubs get more (and hopefully that will include London and maybe Toulouse) but we need an elite competition and this money will help create that.

Hopefully the Salary Cap will be increased to at least £2m with a marquee player rule with a higher weighting towards UK players.

a) So if we are getting £182m, why do the amounts going to SL, Champ and C1 clubs only total £163m - I assume this means the RFL/SLE will get their 10% cut (mentioned as the cost base in the policy doc)?

b ) Based on the Championship 1 splits, the 13 clubs in here will be getting £75k x 13 = £975k per annum = this totals £4.8m over 5 years or £6.8m if split over the 7 years. This is much higher than the £1.8m they are supposedly getting.

This is actually pretty difficult to understand, is the £200m split over the 7 years, or has some funds been filtered from the £200m to increase the amounts payable in 2015 and 2016?

It's a £200 million deal over five years, but a significant proportion of the money will be paid in the next three years. For example, the £300,000 that each SL club will receive within the next couple of weeks represents Sky paying a 'deposit' on the contract.

Which clubs get the hastily agreed to £300k immediate bonus payment? Was that just to SL clubs to get their votes?

Which clubs get the hastily agreed to £300k immediate bonus payment? Was that just to SL clubs to get their votes?

Oddly, the turkeys had to be bribed to vote for the Christmas of 3x8.

It's a £200 million deal over five years, but a significant proportion of the money will be paid in the next three years. For example, the £300,000 that each SL club will receive within the next couple of weeks represents Sky paying a 'deposit' on the contract.

Thanks that's what I suspected.

Anything on why the Championship 1 numbers, for example look way out?

How much is significant... surely not that significant otherwise have major issues during the remaining 4/5 years of the new deal if large amount is providing short term plaster fix to some clubs.

It would suggest that very short term desperation trumped mid-to-longer term consideration of the TV sports media rights market. Maybe it was all considered and it is a good deal taking the future marketplace into account.  But that's the questioning line I guess you will be taking.

Thanks that's what I suspected.

Anything on why the Championship 1 numbers, for example look way out?

The Sky money that each of the Championship 1 clubs gets will be supplemented by RFL money from other sources to bring the total to £75,000.

It isn't even a bonus payment really, its not additional to the contract amount just an advance against it.

Oddly, the turkeys had to be bribed to vote for the Christmas of 3x8.

The Championship clubs representatives had already been baffled by the bright shining of £ signs in their eyes at a very early stage.

dont like the fact that S/L clubs receive the same yet the championship sides have to operate on a sliding scale , think it should be one rule for all 

also think that the scale reduces too quickly for the 3rd place in the championship 

on the whole its good for the sport but could have been a lot fairer 

Another big barmy mistake by the RFL

The way that paywall sport is going, $ky will have to show a test card rather than football which BT Sport will be hoovering up in the next few years.

Why didn't the RFL at least see if BT Sport were interested instead of going for $ky's carrot up front ???

There hasn't been an announcement on this, I'm afraid. We will look into it.

The Challenge Cup final has to be on terrestrial free to air at the moment, as it's one of the protected events.

It's better the RFL getting a 10% cut than IMG I suppose.

It's better the RFL getting a 10% cut than IMG I suppose.

Under the last deal I thought the RFL received the same share as each club. The extra could be a negotiating bonus I suppose but isn't there a cost to the big screen and video ref equipment. Which may also account for the short fall.

Bt would never have come up with that amount of cash

You could be right but hopefully it has been tested. 

Also the RFL could have created media packages, e.g regular round SL, play-offs, magic weekend, etc and providing it fitted in with a strategy of maximizing pay tv and getting out to "free" TV to maximize exposure.. etc.   

Football on BT generally gets a quarter of the viewing figures that Sky football can get.

I'd prefer us not to go with an even smaller channel, providing we can get the money we are asking, which based on the vote it looks like we did.