Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

absentee thoughtlord

Get in there, Marwan!

185 posts in this topic

I should have put <sarcasm> either side of that shouldn't I?

I'll get you one day. Is that a whoosh?

He made the papers for SL :)

BfsjjqWIIAA9twZ.jpg[/quote. Bravo Marwan!!! This guy can fight and the game needs people who will stand up and not settle for the Status Quo

Ive seen many an ugly man with a stunning woman though

That would be RU not RL.

I'll get you one day. Is that a whoosh?

On this occasion.

absolutely love him, he is shaking up the game with his straight talking views on the current state of affairs, it's about time someone challenged fat nige and the boy blunder..........

absolutely love him, he is shaking up the game with his straight talking views on the current state of affairs, it's about time someone challenged fat nige and the boy blunder..........

Can I just ask, in all seriousness, what is he shaking up?

He voted against 3x8 but we have it.  He's not happy about the TV deal but it's fixed until 2021.  He'd like an exemption from the salary cap for Salford he's not getting one.  He'd like SL to have more control over the RFL but that doesn't seem to be happening either.

There's a lot to be pleased about with regards to Salford - although the proof will be on and off the field over the next eight months - but, really, this great liberator of the game has done naff all elsewhere other than shout so far.

He voted against 3x8 but we have it.  He's not happy about the TV deal but it's fixed until 2021.  He'd like an exemption from the salary cap for Salford he's not getting one.  He'd like SL to have more control over the RFL but that doesn't seem to be happening either.

There's a lot to be pleased about with regards to Salford - although the proof will be on and off the field over the next eight months - but, really, this great liberator of the game has done naff all elsewhere other than shout so far.

Yes, but he's in there doing the shouting rather than meekishly accepting the status quo, and in doing so he's started a conversation throughout the RL world.

It's better to light a single candle than to sit and curse the darkness.

Yes, but he's in there doing the shouting rather than meekishly accepting the status quo, and in doing so he's started a conversation throughout the RL world.

But, to push the metaphor to breaking point, he literally is just cursing the darkness as he's lit nothing.

But, to push the metaphor to breaking point, he literally is just cursing the darkness as he's lit nothing.

lit up my hope that he can help drag this sport into this century... move it on from from the slow decline, inward looking, we have a great game and that should be enough brigade,,, 

If it helps make people think, consider and talk about how to move the sport on then whilst I may not agree always with his view he ain't prepared to just sit and be involved in a declining trend but would rather try and jostle the decision makers to be more ambitious. 

And while he's doing this others are off building their fan base, promoting the game, training players, building facilities etc and generally strengthening their club.

If he leaves now, are Salford a better club than before he joined? Happy to give him some space on this one as it's early to judge him, but that is how he should be judged.

I'm still not sure what he is actually complaining about.

You don't get sponsors by just standing there shouting! In fact, I'd say standing there shouting complaining about most aspects of the game will have the opposite effect. Sponsors are generally not that bothered about the quality of the sport, but they aren;t drawn to claims that the governing body are dire and the game can't sell itself.

I know people don't like spin, but that's exactly what press releases are. Koukash should be shaking things up in board meetings, not in the newspaper feeding the frothy mouthed RFL haters.

The problem with Marvans analogy is that you have to assume you are the best looking bloke in town. He isn't and neither is RL.

it may not of been the best analogy but what he is saying is correct. It has the appearance that the RFL reacted in panic to an approach by Sky, they allowed Sky to be in the driving seat rather than themselves.   Surely it would have made sense to check whether BT would be interested at the very least.   Rather Sky in giving them short notice and the meek RFL/clubs desperate need for the immediate cash carrot rushed in afraid and hence Sky held all the cards.

Eight years is a long time in the evolving media landscape and the gamble seems a poor one in believing that monies will not improve and in fact can only decline and not at least remain as is... otherwise why take it and why was Sky so keen to grab the rights and put RFL under pressure.

At least it is more money.

it may not of been the best analogy but what he is saying is correct. It has the appearance that the RFL reacted in panic to an approach by Sky, they allowed Sky to be in the driving seat rather than themselves.   Surely it would have made sense to check whether BT would be interested at the very least.   Rather Sky in giving them short notice and the meek RFL/clubs desperate need for the immediate cash carrot rushed in afraid and hence Sky held all the cards.

Eight years is a long time in the evolving media landscape and the gamble seems a poor one in believing that monies will not improve and in fact can only decline and not at least remain as is... otherwise why take it and why was Sky so keen to grab the rights and put RFL under pressure.

At least it is more money.

Eight years is a long time and I'm inclined to think we would have got more money by being more flirtatious with BT.  But ...  what the game needs is stability more than anything (this is one of the reasons 3x8 is a moronic introduction).  We're not basing anything on getting a kickass deal in 2019, we know what we've got now.

There are many, many things the RFL is doing wrong but until I hear the Good Doctor howling about why there's no international fixture list, why the game now has three distinct sets of rules, why the clubs outside the top 24 are being cut adrift, why there is no movement at all at sorting out the community game ... as well as his laments about selling Super League short and not being commercially savvy for the big players ... until then I'll reluctantly assume that the RFL has a bit more of an understanding of a whole game solution than him.

I agree with the comments of Red John in the main.

Some questions-    Did the chairmen /owners get a chance to discuss the Sky deal or was it a fait accomplie?

Was ther a tendering process?  Come on Mr Wood we should be told!

Igave up my sky when i realised most of my money was going to football.

I now have BT and can get sky 1 and 2 for £21 a monthly rolling contract.But there is no guarantee the will show the live games on these channels.

I would  like a new broadcasterin on this preferably BT.

Finally how can Mr Koukash expect a good competition if only Salford can chuck money around?

And while he's doing this others are off building their fan base, promoting the game, training players, building facilities etc and generally strengthening their club.

If he leaves now, are Salford a better club than before he joined? Happy to give him some space on this one as it's early to judge him, but that is how he should be judged.

I'm still not sure what he is actually complaining about.

You don't get sponsors by just standing there shouting! In fact, I'd say standing there shouting complaining about most aspects of the game will have the opposite effect. Sponsors are generally not that bothered about the quality of the sport, but they aren;t drawn to claims that the governing body are dire and the game can't sell itself.

I know people don't like spin, but that's exactly what press releases are. Koukash should be shaking things up in board meetings, not in the newspaper feeding the frothy mouthed RFL haters.

The key points at the heading of the mail article state some of his complaints. Personally I think he is correct on those points. Of course need to know more on the transformation thoughts.

·  Racehorse owner Marwan Koukash wants to transform UK rugby league 

·  It's unfair that RFL bosses make more than the top players due to salary cap

·  The Championship-winning team should be promoted, no gimmicks

·  The new Sky Sports TV deal wasn't good enough and agreed too hastily  

·  England coach should be a full time appointment, not Steve McNamara

His other complaints mentioned previously are primary around the salary cap.

So I think it is clear what his complaints and concerns are.

Salford as a club are clearly in a stronger position than before he came.  If he can achieve his aims they will be an even stronger club.  Of course the question as to how long he remains if he thinks the sport is going in wrong direction and he feels like giving up on changing what he thinks are important is a concern.  Never-the-less the club will be in a stronger position, whether strong enough remains to be seen.

To-date I agree with most of the points he has raised since coming into the sport.  How he communicates and articulates himself can be questioned. It seems he is desperate for the sport to be successful and that seems grand to me.

I also would be surprised if he doesn't express himself in board meeting, he seems a strong enough character not too. Sometimes to move things on you have to speak your mind outside of closed doors.

What people (including Dr Kash) should realise is that if the current TV deal was renegotiated due to competition, it stands to reason so will the next. What the game has to do is demonstrate it is worth more than the current deal, rather than assuming it will be. That is where Dr Kash comes in. Make Salford a success under the current deal, make them the beacon for others to be drawn to rather than effin moaning about who's to blame and what's wrong with the world of RL.

·  Racehorse owner Marwan Koukash wants to transform UK rugby league 

·  It's unfair that RFL bosses make more than the top players due to salary cap

·  The Championship-winning team should be promoted, no gimmicks

·  The new Sky Sports TV deal wasn't good enough and agreed too hastily  

·  England coach should be a full time appointment, not Steve McNamara

There have been a couple of proposals put out (by the RFL incidentally) about the salary cap.  One is definitely in the whole game proposal and relates to giving club-trained players a nominal value against the cap as opposed to what you are actually paying them - the other, which was in the media but I'm not sure if it was in the proposal, was about having a marquee player exempt from the cap.  The system where this has been most effective seems to be soccer in the US and Australia.

The rest we've covered elsewhere and I'm broadly in agreement with him.

But if he wants to achieve his top aim he can't do it alone.  And if he keeps crying wolf he'll keep getting voted down.  We have the TV deal, we have the silly structure ... maybe if Marwan shouted less and built bridges more we wouldn't have.

What people (including Dr Kash) should realise is that if the current TV deal was renegotiated due to competition, it stands to reason so will the next. What the game has to do is demonstrate it is worth more than the current deal, rather than assuming it will be. That is where Dr Kash comes in. Make Salford a success under the current deal, make them the beacon for others to be drawn to rather than effin moaning about who's to blame and what's wrong with the world of RL.

But I guess that is Dr Kash point, why commit now rather than wait until closer to end of current contract which is a few years off. Gives time to demonstrate the game in a better light if you believe the changes will have that desired impact.

Marwan is complaining that all the clubs (apart from 1) only had 24 hours to consider the new deal. they can't consider whether this is good for the sport without time to consider.

Has he improved Salford?

As a fan I have to say yes, he has held at least 6 open meetings where players and fans attend. He is asking fans what they want from the stadium.

Prior to the take over the players didn't have facilities to train, no gym they all had membership to a local one. No lounge and squad areas, This has been rectified by the doc.

Are the players better quality than previously? on paper yes, I have concerns about the age of some but they are on short deals and I hope he has included the same clauses as he did for Mauro and Foran.

Salford ahve never had the coverage they have had this off season, more to come as he names all the new horses after the team and will join Captain Morley, Martin Gleeson, Brian Noble etc.

I do sometimes wish he would tone it down but on the whole I'd say go Marwan and stir up things.

Agroman

"The problem with Marvans analogy is that you have to assume you are the best looking bloke in town. He isn't and neither is RL."

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

did the electro-shock therapy not work then?  I don't like having a go at anybody at all but your comments are lacking in knowledge and perspicacity and a few other things that affect me in zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! 

We need more like him at all levels of the game. Rich and successful business people who want to be involved in Rugby League.

Well, one thing he has done is save a RL club from extinction. That's a very good start for mine.

I do sometimes wish he would tone it down but on the whole I'd say go Marwan and stir up things.

Agree with this RW. Honestly I seem to change my mind about him everyday, but on the whole I think (hope?) he's a force for good in sport.

Let me ask you this as a Salford fan - in fact to all Salford fans on here. How well do you think he is doing as promoting the club as a club? No doubt he's getting some headlines, but at times it seems like he is better at promoting himself than the club (a tad unfair maybe, but you see what I'm getting at).

As for what he's doing for Salford, I'd like to see LPL send someone round to do a feature on what he's been improving off the field too. From Dr K's comments after taking over, he was very definite that many many things about the infrastructure of the club would be changed. 

It could make for an interesting article.