Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pse

team for Sunday

79 posts in this topic

What we would give for a holty type player now. Excellant organiser, great kicker and a proper general on the pitch.

Wouldn't argue with that. Easy for us to say though. Would you like to come out and admit we can't attract players or we don't have any money because I wouldn't. I would also imagine those situations and what he could see coming would've been in Dave Bowdens mind when he left.

Surely we should be able to attract players - we were a play off team last year- so we should be seen as a good bet to play for?

Players will travel -look at havens recruits.

So it has got to be down to money -either we havn.t got any or the club feels they want too much.

We must have money, we had better crowds last year than the previous, weve lost 3 ex super league players and have less signed on. Plus the income from the world cup. I find it very hard to believe we are any worse off than the last 2 seasons

Bearintown that first point was exactly what I was just thinking . We must be a decent bet to join , regardless of the down sides attached to it . And the money thing intrigues me . Again in this one it's just queries - but we lost a fair chunk of our salary cap , and have replaced it with nowhere near equal value you'd reckon . Yet we hear about loans and DR ... Even the guys we know couldn't or wouldn't come we're loans . It is an interesting one , the signing of our own players from the pro - ranks . Can we not sell the club to players ? It's just a question without the inside knowledge .

I though the average gate was down?

If I lived in Yorkshire or Lancashire I wouldn't travel to Cumbria 2/3 times a week unless I was getting substantially more money would anyone else on here??

We may have been a play off side but 2 of the teams below us went down and the other 2 are in this county one of which is closer to Lancashire.

How do we know we didn't overspend last season on the expectation of increasing gates that didn't materialise and used the World Cup money to bail us out? I remember reading we drew down our RFL money early and we wouldn't have done that had we not overspent would we

I though the average gate was down?

If I lived in Yorkshire or Lancashire I wouldn't travel to Cumbria 2/3 times a week unless I was getting substantially more money would anyone else on here??

We may have been a play off side but 2 of the teams below us went down and the other 2 are in this county one of which is closer to Lancashire.

How do we know we didn't overspend last season on the expectation of increasing gates that didn't materialise and used the World Cup money to bail us out? I remember reading we drew down our RFL money early and we wouldn't have done that had we not overspent would we

Yes there was a reduction in the average attendance figures for last year of 109 per match.

However, when it was stated last week that we were not signing players until the last minute to save money, I asked the question with the board and the reply I received was that there was nothing wrong with our finances and that rumour was utter tosh.    So I think we should knock that on the head straight away as that doesn't give out a very good signal to any potential signing.     Every club has a budget and some stick to it, others take the chance and push their luck and I am pleased to say that our club comes under the former.

Are there any potential signings ? Comparing last year with this at the same stage there must be room in our budget , but how many pro players are out there ? Is what we have in the kitty waiting to absorb the DR guys , as they count in the cap I think I'm right in saying? I guess how you use the budget has no right or wrong way if it breeds success , but it's the wait to know the strategy in the first place that stretches out. I guess if it's coming then that announcement must be imminent , and then we'll get a clearer picture of our strength .

Well I think we pushed the boat out last year in terms of the players we brought in. Some worked, some didn't but I also expect that would've been on the assumption that gates went up which they didn't and they do t want to make the same mistake as there's no World Cup to fall back on this year.

West Cumbruans obviously only want to see a winning team so for that mind we'd be better off in the league below stuffing everyone week in, week out.

At the end of the day if this is our squad that's just how it is and I won't stop travelling over because we don't have any superstars and lose games I'd hoped we'd be in a position to win. I didn't in the previous 5 years and I certainly won't now.

Charlo said new signings in the paper??? O boy can't wait the paper Tommorrow

The way I read that he is talking about Lucock, Rowlandson, McAvoy and Haney!!

The way I read that he is talking about Lucock, Rowlandson, McAvoy and Haney!!

and Duerden, that's how I read it too, will just have to wait and see

I can really relate to these sentiments, and I am sure your views are also shared by other fans.

I have been a supporter of the club for fifty five years, but I can honestly say that I can't remember feeling any more despondent than I do now regarding the beginning of and expectations for a new season.

I really hope that my fears are proved unfounded. Motivational and promotional comments from our club would be very much appreciated.

Despondent !!! we are in the Championship one and are financially stable, last season was the most enjoyable for many years (better than the season before and we beat the jam 5 times) I'm hoping this year will be just as good. The early noughties and mid eighties......now that was a time to feel despondent !!! Please get a grip, If supporters of 55 years are spouting stuff like this, then I fear for our club.

UP THE TOWN

Despondent !!! we are in the Championship one and are financially stable, last season was the most enjoyable for many years (better than the season before and we beat the jam 5 times) I'm hoping this year will be just as good. The early noughties and mid eighties......now that was a time to feel despondent !!! Please get a grip, If supporters of 55 years are spouting stuff like this, then I fear for our club.

UP THE TOWN

Thanks for your pep talk Unicorn 106 but I'm afraid it hasn't worked.

Indeed, historically Town has been through extremely bad patches and during those times I have seen supporters lose interest and find other things to do on Sunday afternoons almost to the point where I could recognise most of the supporters who did attend.

It is very much because of the successes of last season and the excitement generated by the World Cup that I wrote the piece about my concerns. It is imperative that we continue to build upon that success and make attending a Town game an attractive proposition for the neutrals, the newly interested and the previously disenchanted. My point here is ( with due respect to the board), are we?

The lack of serious motivational information coming out of the club does little to pacify the concerns of the existing fan base nor tempt new supporters onto the terraces.

Again, to state the obvious (as mentioned time and again both directly and indirectly by posts on this site), from the playing perspective the squad is vulnerable and needs strength in depth to meet the rigours of this season.

We don't want to regress, we need to progress.

I do have a firm grip on reality despite your doubts, and as a season ticket holder I will continue to support the club in the future whatever their status.

Let's face it. It was positive last season and we lost supporters so positivity doesn't correlate to attendances.

We are in the Championship,not Championship one ;) , ######!! ,you have jinxed us now haha.

2/3 good/big/Acton like forwards is what we NEED and if we got them in, Myself and the others who feel a bit let down(dont know how to word it) would be alot happier. This is the first season in a long time I dont even feel interested. I will be there every home game and as many as I can away games but im just not feeling it at the minute!

I really thought we would of got some new faces in by now, if we dont get the players in, I fear relegation :(

Like I say though,Town will get my support. Loyal fans dont walk away from thier team!!

UP THE TOWN!!!!

Thanks for your pep talk Unicorn 106 but I'm afraid it hasn't worked.

Indeed, historically Town has been through extremely bad patches and during those times I have seen supporters lose interest and find other things to do on Sunday afternoons almost to the point where I could recognise most of the supporters who did attend.

It is very much because of the successes of last season and the excitement generated by the World Cup that I wrote the piece about my concerns. It is imperative that we continue to build upon that success and make attending a Town game an attractive proposition for the neutrals, the newly interested and the previously disenchanted. My point here is ( with due respect to the board), are we?

The lack of serious motivational information coming out of the club does little to pacify the concerns of the existing fan base nor tempt new supporters onto the terraces.

Again, to state the obvious (as mentioned time and again both directly and indirectly by posts on this site), from the playing perspective the squad is vulnerable and needs strength in depth to meet the rigours of this season.

We don't want to regress, we need to progress.

I do have a firm grip on reality despite your doubts, and as a season ticket holder I will continue to support the club in the future whatever their status.

Fair reply Dearham Lass. I would love us to sign 3 or more players before the season starts, we need them, I just can't understand all the gloom and doom from some fans, I'm still looking forward to the start of the season new signings or not.

Nice to hear you would stick by the club whatever their status, I wish there were a few more like yourself then maybe we could go out and get a few more quality players.

A couple of posters on here have suggested we shouuldn't be short of money !!! Why would that be then ? The club does well to keep their heads above the water given the crowds we get, the guys who run the club are not buisnessmen and aren't in a position to pump money into the club. Let's be honest. if we spend money we haven't got and get into financial trouble then it would be the end of the club, I'm afraid wouldn't be coming back under another name like the chancers down the road.

We are in the Championship,not Championship one ;) , ######!! ,you have jinxed us now haha.

2/3 good/big/Acton like forwards is what we NEED and if we got them in, Myself and the others who feel a bit let down(dont know how to word it) would be alot happier. This is the first season in a long time I dont even feel interested. I will be there every home game and as many as I can away games but im just not feeling it at the minute!

I really thought we would of got some new faces in by now, if we dont get the players in, I fear relegation :(

Like I say though,Town will get my support. Loyal fans dont walk away from thier team!!

UP THE TOWN!!!!

OOOOOPS Championshipm one it is, even more reason to be happy ;) I also fear relagation it's going to be a dog fight whoever we sign..

Fair reply Dearham Lass. I would love us to sign 3 or more players before the season starts, we need them, I just can't understand all the gloom and doom from some fans, I'm still looking forward to the start of the season new signings or not.

Nice to hear you would stick by the club whatever their status, I wish there were a few more like yourself then maybe we could go out and get a few more quality players.

A couple of posters on here have suggested we shouuldn't be short of money !!! Why would that be then ? The club does well to keep their heads above the water given the crowds we get, the guys who run the club are not buisnessmen and aren't in a position to pump money into the club. Let's be honest. if we spend money we haven't got and get into financial trouble then it would be the end of the club, I'm afraid wouldn't be coming back under another name like the chancers down the road.

I was one of them that said we shouldn't be short of money unicorn106 when it was being stated that that was the reason for us not signing players to save money.    I took the time to ask a board member about it and I was told that our finances were alright and what was being said was not true.   At the same time I was told that the club had a budget for the season the same as other clubs set out a budget and where some go over their budget I was assured that Town wouldn't be doing that.   

I agree with you that the current board do an extremely good job in the circumstances and I have, many times, asked for people to come forward and join them on the board and help out.   Sadly, no-one yet has put themselves forward.     

On the subject of relegation I cannot agree with some fans who think it wouldn't be so bad and they expect to be winning week after week.   With 4 or 5 clubs going down plus some of the clubs down there I can foresee a lot of hard matches.    Financially, we get £90k now in central funding, relegation would mean a one off payment of £25k plus the same as all the other Championship 1 clubs will be getting £75k.   However, all the Championship clubs will be receiving much bigger amounts and therefore they can attract the better players.   With a little bit of luck last season we could have finished 6th and this year that position would pick up around £200k that is why it is so important to be in the 24 at the end of this season.

I'll stand by the club but I.M.H.O its going to be a tough season if no more players are to be added as we simply cant afford any injuries which is a big ask and we are short in the forwards. Hopefully a DR agreement will be announced soon.

I'll stand by the club but I.M.H.O its going to be a tough season if no more players are to be added as we simply cant afford any injuries which is a big ask and we are short in the forwards. Hopefully a DR agreement will be announced soon.

A quick glance at the names not included in the 19 man Wigan Squad for the initial Super League match:

Logan Tomkins HK

Gill Dudson PR

Greg Burke LF SR

Ryan Hampshire FB SO SH

George Williams SH

Sam Hopkins LF PR

Dom Manfredi WG CE

Lewis Tierney FB WG

Rob Lever LF SR

Jordan James PR

Wishful thinking I know, (and not for the Egremont game) but if they need competitive match fitness and we had DR with Wigan??

Some of these might do if we had injuries!