Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cherry and White

Super League 2014: team-by-team guide

26 posts in this topic

That'll go down well on the Hull FC RLFans forum.

wigan 5th  that's interesting  I wonder what they make of that

I don't think the loss of Dobson will be as big of a blow as many seem to think.

I'm very confident that Kris Keating will prove to as influential -if not more so- than Michael Dobson. I think he is a better player than Michael Dobson and hope that will prove to be a fair and correct assessment come September/October time.

Rally Round...

Leeds and St Helens by a country mile the competition's 2 best teams. If they don't meet in the GF I'll be very, very surprised. Luke Walsh should win Man of Steel.

Not much between Warrington, Wigan, Huddersfield and Salford (when they start to gel).

Those are the only 6 decent sides in the comp.

Hull FC probably next best for 7th (as ever).

The rest - who cares? Barely a decent player between them.

Lots and lots and lots of blowout scores when the good 6 teams meet the rest.

A dull procession of a competition.

Crowds to wane. Media interest to wane. Younger generations of fans to look elsewhere.

Still, NRL is on Premier Sports so it's not all bad.

Leeds and St Helens by a country mile the competition's 2 best teams. If they don't meet in the GF I'll be very, very surprised. Luke Walsh should win Man of Steel.

Not much between Warrington, Wigan, Huddersfield and Salford (when they start to gel).

Crowds to wane. Media interest to wane. Younger generations of fans to look elsewhere.

I genuinely don't see this all-star Saints line up. They've definitely beefed up their pack, and in Walsh should give them a kicking game.

But their three-quarter line is extremely average and they'll still be weighed down by the need to keep picking Hohaia and Wellens.

I presume you wrote that whilst sitting on the edge of the Humber Bridge contemplating when to jump?

Leeds and Saints the best two teams in the comp? 

Do us a favour, and stop contemplating. Just do it.

I presume you wrote that whilst sitting on the edge of the Humber Bridge contemplating when to jump?

Please don't be so flippant.

You never know what problems people face away from the keyboard.

Bang out of order.

Cant see saints challenging wigan beat them with 12 the other night and it was saints best team. Dont be mistaking this for q friendly ask walsh if he thought it was a friendly when he was having xray for broken jaw. saints pack may be bigger but is still average as is there backs apart from lomax. For me there is 3 potential winners, wigan, leeds, and warrington. St hellens and huddersfield competing for 4th and 5th then catalans then salford then the two hull teams.

You didn't like Dean Sampson hitting the thug in the Wigan shirt but you are telling somebody to jump off a bridge?

I don't think the loss of Dobson will be as big of a blow as many seem to think.

I'm very confident that Kris Keating will prove to as influential -if not more so- than Michael Dobson. I think he is a better player than Michael Dobson and hope that will prove to be a fair and correct assessment come September/October time.

Rally Round...

Dont be so sure - Keating is a poor replacement. Even in the superb 2012 Bulldogs team he was the weak link and only got his chance due to injuries. He has a decent kicking game but little else.

I do think Rovers have signed some decent forwards though, Weyman in particular if he can stay fit.

Cant see saints challenging wigan beat them with 12 the other night and it was saints best team. Dont be mistaking this for q friendly ask walsh if he thought it was a friendly when he was having xray for broken jaw. saints pack may be bigger but is still average as is there backs apart from lomax. For me there is 3 potential winners, wigan, leeds, and warrington. St hellens and huddersfield competing for 4th and 5th then catalans then salford then the two hull teams.

Err I think you'll find it was Saints playing with 12 men for part of that game and not Wigan, and that wasn't the 'best team' as you put it. Makinson, Masoe, Wheeler, Beaumont & Clough were all missing. It was also Walsh's first game and Soliola's first back after injury, so there's a lot more to come from Saints.

Err I think you'll find it was Saints playing with 12 men for part of that game and not Wigan, and that wasn't the 'best team' as you put it. Makinson, Masoe, Wheeler, Beaumont & Clough were all missing. It was also Walsh's first game and Soliola's first back after injury, so there's a lot more to come from Saints.

Potential Man of Steel; I think he's awesome.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You didn't like Dean Sampson hitting the thug in the Wigan shirt but you are telling somebody to jump off a bridge?

OMG was he really sat on a bridge? I didn't know that. I'm so sorry.

Grow up.

Grow up.

How old are you?? 12

I can't remember reading many or even any posts where you contribute something positive, instead you post pathetic dribble and posts / topics go downhill

Back on topic

I've gone for saints this year, thought a year on they'd be better and hungry, my saints mates say otherwise and they could struggle.

Come September we'll all find out, best wishes to all and enjoy our great game

Grow up.

Apology accepted, thanks for taking the time and realising you were wrong

Apology accepted, thanks for taking the time and realising you were wrong

Deary me.

As much as I was annoyed about the friendly loss to Wigan that one has pretty much disappeared from memory already ahead of Thursday. You can't read too much into these preseason games.

I am a little concerned about our backline, but that's only because it's uncertain how the youngsters will kick on and handle the added responsibility. At least we've freshened things up there though, and this setup is a lot more exciting than it's been sticking with the tried and tested for the last few years. Brown, if nothing else, does have a strong record of developing young backs into quality players, and those with the starting numbers on their backs have shown plenty of potential so far (as has Mark Percival).

The lack of a standoff remains by far the biggest issue for us, and Gary Wheeler will apparently get the first crack at it in what will surely be his last opportunity at the club. I'm reasonably happy about that because even though he has it all to prove at least he is a natural fit there. His track record suggests he probably won't last there for long but I'll remain optimistic for now.

Agree with JB that feeling the need to stick with Wellens and Hohaia might hinder us somewhat. I'm happy with Wellens as a depth player to add some experience, but he certainly shouldn't be in the first 17 when everyone is fit.

I think that team by team guide is pretty good for the most part, I'd probably swap the Hull sides around though. I considered Dobson to be amongst the top 7s in the league, and though I do like what I've seen of Keating in the past he has big shoes to fill. I don't believe Leeds will top the table either, but only because we know from experience that they don't tend to treat that as a priority (and have been proved right not to do so). I would make them favourites to win at Old Trafford though as I believe that their consistency in doing so makes them the most sensible pick.

It's a reasonable article with nothing to strongly disagree with in the text.  The predictions are a bit out of sync for me though.  I can't see the Rhinos getting the hub cap but I can see them taking the GF.  The Giants seem to be continually under-rated by everyone yet the team and performances are there for all to see, and I for one would expect them to reach OT this year.  They've also got the Dragons coming in in ninth, and I really can't believe they'll drop out of the eight.

Further down, like someone else said, I see FC finishing in front of Rovers if simply because of Dobson leaving.  They've been a bit like Cas recently in that they were getting on for being a bit of a one man team, and when that man goes you just can't replace him without major organisational changes elsewhere. That means disruption so I think they will be up and down all year, and especially so if Burns can't keep himself under control.

As for us, well who knows, I think we'll be middish table depending on who else we lose and points deduction, but take some scalps along the way.  So long as we get to September intact and in SL ready to have a full deck for 2015 then that'll do for me, with maybe a cheeky cup run thrown in to keep the spirits up.  One thing's for sure, it's never boring at Odsal.

castleford 8th??? he must be on mind altering drugs.

i think wire will finally break their duck this season and win the GF.........