Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Rams Updates

7 amazing players

52 posts in this topic

Gary Rose, Wayne Collins, Francis Maloney, Ryan Mcdonald, Paul Medley, Mark Haigh, Tony Marchant, Sid Domic, Paul Delaney, Alex Godfrey, Sean Richardson, Greg Pearce, Darren Fleary, Dan Potter, Shaun Austerfield, Matt Bramald, Barry Eaton, Erol Johnson

I'm surprised at some of the suggestions on here.

I would have thought that we would be concentrating upon players who put in more than a couple of seasons with the club, which would exclude a lot of the suggested names.

Read the post carefully BSJ - I said trophy winning sides OR Norman Smith era ;) Might of won the RP trophy though.

Little screens and old eyes are a poor combination.

My apologies.

Going  back a bit how about

Bob Hirst  & Trevor Bedford (both full backs)

Johnny Bullock & Alvin Newall (scrum halves)

Brian Firth & Kevin Osborne(wingers)

Garth Budge,Steve Hankins,John Hegarty, John Maloney, John Langley,Keith Voyce,Jack Austin,John Wolford,Paul Evans

Going  back a bit how about

Bob Hirst  & Trevor Bedford (both full backs)

Johnny Bullock & Alvin Newall (scrum halves)

Brian Firth & Kevin Osborne(wingers)

You must have been around same time as me 'Burnley'. :O)  How about Trevor Lowe?

Thank you for all your nominations so far.

Today's past player was Paul Delaney.

For those who follow us on twitter and Facebook you will have seen that Paul was overwhelmed by supporters and some quite touching messages. He took the time to comment himself thanking supporters for their lovely words and said how much he loved playing for the Rams and wished he still was.

Supporters have been nominating players from here, our Facebook page and our twitter account as well as being able to message us directly. We have collated the top 7 players and are announcing the top 6 in no particular order. However, we do currently have a player with the most nominations. This player (or whoever else if they should take his place) will be announced as the fans favourite (if that status should remain) on Sunday - The day we kick off our 2014 season.

Keep em' coming!

I agree ossy  Trevor Lowe was an excellent player for us, as was fellow prop Brian Taylor who I seem to remember

gained GB under 21 cap

Garth Budge,Steve Hankins,John Hegarty, John Maloney, John Langley,Keith Voyce,Jack Austin,John Wolford,Paul Evans

Ah - John Langley - best fullback I ever saw wear the shirt IMO.

Dicky Doel, Johnny Moore, Phil Artis, Gary C.ckx, Mark Keyworth, Andrew Ramsden, and of course Blind-side Johnny himself.

Dicky Doel invented DR when he turned out agin us for Donny (or Blackpool) while on our books. :)

Showing my age but as a lad my favorite 

Jackie Marchant  [when not suspended]

Dicky Doel invented DR when he turned out agin us for Donny (or Blackpool) while on our books. :)

Blackpool, and nearly got sent off too!

All favorites for me:

Nathan Graham, Richard Chapman, Richard Agar, Glen Bell, Frank Watene, Francis Maloney, & Paul Medley would be my seven but would also include Dennis Bailey. 

Dicky Doel, Johnny Moore, Phil Artis, Gary C.ckx, Mark Keyworth, Andrew Ramsden, and of course Blind-side Johnny himself.

I'm surprised you didn't include Dai Thomas as you always talk about the day you remember him scoring 8 tries.

Phil Artis, john Hegarty, Dean Hall, Jack Austin, Billy Pickup, Paul Shuttleworth, Dennis Bailey

I always liked ex-Fev man, Paul Hughes, when he played for you. There was a huge forward you signed from Cas in the early noughties who always impressed me too. His name escapes me (Paul something?) but I'm sure that a few years after he left you signed another player with exactly the same name.

(Edit ; just remembered. Paul Smith.)

Forgot to mention Paul Worthy (prop who played for us in early 90's)

Showing my age but as a lad my favorite 

Jackie Marchant  [when not suspended]

Ah yes, Jackie Marchant :O)  a true peacemaker !

Yes Ossie, Jackie Marchant quickly settled a lot of arguments and put many an opposing player at peace.

He also ran his weight better that ANYONE I ever saw. He was perhaps only 12.1/2 stone but took more tackling than an 18-stoner. My father used to say that off the field he was the quietest, most self-effacing and polite guy you could wish to meet. He worked for the NCB but not at the coal face, I believe he was a well qualified mining engineer.  His brother Alan (scrum half at POR) was able to keep his temper under control better, and as a result he got international recognition.

If Jackie stayed on the field for the full 80 minutes he had to have a medical examination as soon as he got back in the dressing room to find out what was wrong with him. It may be part of the overwhelming nostalgia which comes with venerable maturity, but I truly can't remember that actually happening.

Surprised no one nominated me old mocker Acker Bates.  Certainly no-one ever gave 150% for the Dewsbury cause more regularly than he.  Those coming closest (in effort) I think were George Withington and John Clarke who both tackled everything that moved, touchjudges, sponge carriers, whatever. Every team needs such wholehearted players who do the donkey work week-in, week-out and enable the flashier players to, well, flash.

Yes Ossie, Jackie Marchant quickly settled a lot of arguments and put many an opposing player at peace.

He also ran his weight better that ANYONE I ever saw. He was perhaps only 12.1/2 stone but took more tackling than an 18-stoner. My father used to say that off the field he was the quietest, most self-effacing and polite guy you could wish to meet. He worked for the NCB but not at the coal face, I believe he was a well qualified mining engineer.  His brother Alan (scrum half at POR) was able to keep his temper under control better, and as a result he got international recognition.

If Jackie stayed on the field for the full 80 minutes he had to have a medical examination as soon as he got back in the dressing room to find out what was wrong with him. It may be part of the overwhelming nostalgia which comes with venerable maturity, but I truly can't remember that actually happening.

Surprised no one nominated me old mocker Acker Bates.  Certainly no-one ever gave 150% for the Dewsbury cause more regularly than he.  Those coming closest (in effort) I think were George Withington and John Clarke who both tackled everything that moved, touchjudges, sponge carriers, whatever. Every team needs such wholehearted players who do the donkey work week-in, week-out and enable the flashier players to, well, flash.

Joe Whittington maybe?

I agree, I'm surprised that Acker has been overlooked, alongside his brother John, of course.

I have been thinking about this for some time and find it very difficult to name just seven. I could have probably included seven for each position.

Full back: Trevor Bedford. 

Wing: Eddie Rombo.

Centre: Nigel Stephenson.

Stand-off: Chris Vasey.

Scrum-half: Alan Bates.

Prop forward: Gary Cockx.

Hooker: Mick Stephenson

Second row: John Bates.

Loose forward: Mark Haigh.

Here are some others I had thought about:

Jimmy Ledgard, Ken Bosworth, Bob Hirst, Adrian Rushton, John Langley, Don Richardson and Nathan Graham, all at full-back.

Dennis Bailey, Andrew Ramsden, John Eastwood, Garry Marsh, David France and Brian Foley on the wing.

Marquis Charles, Trevor Callaghan, John Clark, Darren Rogers and of course Kevin Osborne & Brian Firth, the centres.

Half-backs I could have suggested are Alvin Newall, Gwyn Davies, Garth Budge, John Hegarty, Mark Keyworth and Terry Day (who also doubled as a centre).

Forwards: Trevor (Dick) Lowe, Trevor Walker, Mick Lumb,Harry Poole, Gordon & Malcolm Waring, Keith Voyce, Brian Smith, Brian Taylor, Colin Cook, Les Holiday, Graham Mook, Paul Broxholme, Shaun Womersley, Mark Westbury and ginger haired Jackie Marchant (his brother, Alan, was blond).

I have been thinking about this for some time and find it very difficult to name just seven. I could have probably included seven for each position.

Full back: Trevor Bedford. 

Wing: Eddie Rombo.

Centre: Nigel Stephenson.

Stand-off: Chris Vasey.

Scrum-half: Alan Bates.

Prop forward: Gary Cockx.

Hooker: Mick Stephenson

Second row: John Bates.

Loose forward: Mark Haigh.

Here are some others I had thought about:

Jimmy Ledgard, Ken Bosworth, Bob Hirst, Adrian Rushton, John Langley, Don Richardson and Nathan Graham, all at full-back.

Dennis Bailey, Andrew Ramsden, John Eastwood, Garry Marsh, David France and Brian Foley on the wing.

Marquis Charles, Trevor Callaghan, John Clark, Darren Rogers and of course Kevin Osborne & Brian Firth, the centres.

Half-backs I could have suggested are Alvin Newall, Gwyn Davies, Garth Budge, John Hegarty, Mark Keyworth and Terry Day (who also doubled as a centre).

Forwards: Trevor (Dick) Lowe, Trevor Walker, Mick Lumb,Harry Poole, Gordon & Malcolm Waring, Keith Voyce, Brian Smith, Brian Taylor, Colin Cook, Les Holiday, Graham Mook, Paul Broxholme, Shaun Womersley, Mark Westbury and ginger haired Jackie Marchant (his brother, Alan, was blond).

Jeff Grayshon, Steve Hankins and John Wolford don't get a shout then? I'm very surprised.

I also have missed out George Hutchinson (our first County player for some years), Barry Rushworth, Willie O'Donnell, Jeff Yowerd, Max Fletcher (!) and Dewsbury's long serving family trio (and not from the local community either), I present the Brunts: Alan, Steve and Sid!

Most remiss of me and there are others too. Over to you.

I also have missed out George Hutchinson (our first County player for some years), Barry Rushworth, Willie O'Donnell, Jeff Yowerd, Max Fletcher (!) and Dewsbury's long serving family trio (and not from the local community either), I present the Brunts: Alan, Steve and Sid!

Anybody mention mighty Mick Murphy - our first true utility player who could play prop or scrum half. Max Fletcher was memorable as possibly the worst centre of his day. Only Richard Darkes was in the same class. :sclerosis: