Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trojan

"Money no object" - Cameron

52 posts in this topic

The Calder appears to join the Aire at Castleford at the Aire and Calder Navigation locks, near Lock Lane. Is that correct?

The Calder joins the Aire at Whitwood, at the bottom of Cinder Lane to be pedantic, I should know, I worked on Cinder Lane for 10 years.

Tbf the number of people who live in the Calder valley is quite different to the Thames valley and the size of the rivers is different as well.

Well that's alright then

It doesn't, however it does have the power to deal with the consequences, or it did when it was properly funded.

Which consequences should it deal with though?  As yet, where I live has never flooded so far as records are concerned anyway.  Should it now flood this winter, would my property be one that the EA should protect when there are hundreds if not thousands of houses that have not only flooded in more recent memory but flooded more than once over the last couple of years?  Or do you have a bottomless pit of finance at your disposal and we can all have our personal flood defence?

And I'd still like to know how anyone, not least the EA, can defend a house against water coming up through the floors.

Well that's alright then

That's life.

Generally we prioritise cities over towns and towns over villages. That's how you do the most good.

Phil, I guess you'd say Halifax Vandals play just outside the Calder Valley. Where is the eastern limit of the Calder Valley do you reckon?

I would say Luddenden Foot. Vandals play at Warley so certainly overlooking the valley

That's life.

Generally we prioritise cities over towns and towns over villages. That's how you do the most good.

City hardly describes Chertsey or Datchet.  I worked for a company based at Chertsey, and I've had several boating holidays on the Thames. City hardly describes any of it above Teddington Lock.  Apart from Reading and Oxford. Mostly it's villages about the size of Hebden Bridge, but not of course as prosperous, or prone to vote Tory as regularly.

I would say Luddenden Foot. Vandals play at Warley so certainly overlooking the valley

Who was the Wigan player from the early nineties who came from Todmorden?

Who was the Wigan player from the early nineties who came from Todmorden?

Neil Cowie,  I played against him a couple of times when he played for Tod

City hardly describes Chertsey or Datchet.  I worked for a company based at Chertsey, and I've had several boating holidays on the Thames. City hardly describes any of it above Teddington Lock.  Apart from Reading and Oxford. Mostly it's villages about the size of Hebden Bridge, but not of course as prosperous, or prone to vote Tory as regularly.

Apart from the major cities, it's largely rural, oh and count London in the "not rural" category and having the Thames run through it. It's not flooded yet but I'm guessing that the idea is to prevent it from flooding.

Apart from the major cities, it's largely rural, oh and count London in the "not rural" category and having the Thames run through it. It's not flooded yet but I'm guessing that the idea is to prevent it from flooding.

The Thames below Teddington is tidal and protected by the Thames barrier.  There used to be huge flood plains at Chertsey, near the bridge, no doubt this valuable land has been built over.  The whole area around Staines is riddled with gravel pits, it should be very free draining.  What is it about "flood plain" the builders don't understand?#

Come on NS have another go.  After all you're never wrong.

The 2007 summer floods, mainly in the north, were far worse than this in terms of number of people affected.

Even Cameron admitted that the previous government had actually responded and implemented the recommendations of the previous report. However I assume that only resolved issues where the flooding was worst at that time.

The Thames below Teddington is tidal and protected by the Thames barrier.  There used to be huge flood plains at Chertsey, near the bridge, no doubt this valuable land has been built over.  The whole area around Staines is riddled with gravel pits, it should be very free draining.  What is it about "flood plain" the builders don't understand?#

Come on NS have another go.  After all you're never wrong.

Population pressures mean that if you don't build on flood plains then you have a serious housing crisis.

The Thames barrier exists and there are serious questions about whether it is sufficient.

I don't think you can brush aside the fact that the Thames is a much bigger river than the Calder and the population potentially effected is much higher. Even if you say "apart from Oxford and Reading", there are still sizeable towns at Maidenhead, Slough, Bracknell etc.

Population pressures mean that if you don't build on flood plains then you have a serious housing crisis.

The Thames barrier exists and there are serious questions about whether it is sufficient.

I don't think you can brush aside the fact that the Thames is a much bigger river than the Calder and the population potentially effected is much higher. Even if you say "apart from Oxford and Reading", there are still sizeable towns at Maidenhead, Slough, Bracknell etc.

The Thames below Teddington lock is tidal. The Thames above Teddington lock is controlled by weirs and locks.  What happens above Teddingon lock has very little bearing on what happens in the tideway.  Anyone arguing that the Thames is smaller than the Calder want's their head examining. The point is that in 2012 many people in the narrow, heavily populated Calder Valley had their homes and businesses inundated by flash floods twice, Cameron came there as well, tut-tutted and went away again. It could happen again tomorrow. Obviously when it comes to protecting West Yorkshire money is an object.  I hope the voters of West Yorkshire remember this when the General Election comes.

I read quite a good quip today.  "when the effluent hit the affluent, Cameron acted"

There are no rugby clubs of either code in the Calder Valley

There used to be. The last Calder Valley club, was either Todmorden or Calder Valley. Going further back, I think Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd had clubs. Gerald Round played for a local CV team before joining Wakefield.

Cameron's ' money no object' support for flood victims only applies in England. Scottish, Welsh and Ulster families can literally paddle their own canoe.

At the same time, he's trying desperately to get the Scots to stay in the Union.

:jester:

There are no rugby clubs of either code in the Calder Valley

I once played against a team called calder vale - they weren't lying to me were they?!

I once played against a team called calder vale - they weren't lying to me were they?!

Calder Vale played at Littleborough in Lancashire.

There are 2  different rivers leading off the section of the Pennines between Halifax and Rochdale ... one travelling westwards to Burnley and a different one eastwards into Halifax. Confusingly, and presumably with the Lancastrians being at fault ;) , both are called the River Calder.

There are 2  different rivers leading off the section of the Pennines between Halifax and Rochdale ... one travelling westwards to Burnley and a different one eastwards into Halifax. Confusingly, and presumably with the Lancastrians being at fault ;) , both are called the River Calder.

Turns out (thanks wiki) it's the Celts who are to blame.  Celt's river, you see.  (Or not, I'm not that convinced).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Calder,_West_Yorkshire#Etymology

Not the Calder Vale I played at... But it was on the correct, western side of the pennines.

I didn't know that, I always thought the Celtic word for river was "afon" , and anglicised as Avon - there are plenty of River Avons England.

Afon is certainly the Welsh for river.  There could be other ones from older or other Celtic dialects.

I didn't know that, I always thought the Celtic word for river was "afon" , and anglicised as Avon - there are plenty of River Avons England.

No wonder the country is flooded, we double the amount of rivers that we thought we had.