Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mt smart

NRL 9's to look at inclusion of ESL clubs after Wigan request.

65 posts in this topic

WCC on the friday night

"world 9's" on saturday & sunday ,  8 NRL & 8 ESL

How will you do that though?

The Nines have two more years in Auckland with a two year option, you would think that means another four years,

The NRL Clubs are locked into this format and deal. what are you going to say to the eight NRL teams that miss out that you want to replace with Hull KR and Catalan Dragons etc?

its a different 9s comp,held in oz

so we'd have the auckland 9 & world 9s

just chucking ideas out there

its a different 9s comp,held in oz

so we'd have the auckland 9 & world 9s

just chucking ideas out there

Hmm... I fear that more than one Nines tournament involving NRL clubs would see them claiming player fatigue and pulling out. 

a idea 

three 9's events down under & three in the northern hemisphere..

southern hemisphere.

australia day 9's 16 clubs - jan

auckland 9's 16 clubs - feb

RLIF 9's 16 national teams (8 from pacific + 8 from RLEF*) - feb

northern hemisphere

championship 9's number tba - may

magic 9's 16 club - june

RLEF 9s 16 national teams,that come under the RLEF* banner..plus the likes of *usa,jamaica,south africa etc - insteas of a mid season international - july

sounds a winner to me

Too much of it. One pre-season jamboree is all fun, but we don't need it taking over the real version and going overboard with the nines concept. That said, I would like to see a 9s WC every four years. 

There is nothing like this.

Unlike the CC final , it isn't the intensity of nerve wracking Club V Club final. 

There are sixteen clubs all thrown in together sitting side by side all at once.

I can't do the experience justice from a keyboard.

The last word will go to ticket sales next year which will be gone on the first day.

It is a Sea of CLub colours.

More like a Rugby club Olympics crowd without the ESL there, akin to the Cold War Olympics with the yanks patting themselves on the back in the absence of the Eastern BLock....it could be better.

They have to be there , it is unique

Obviosuly I wasn't at the 9s and I'm sure it was great and hopefully in a few years it will still be going strong and I'll get to experience it but the CC final is well known for being a mixture of fans from the 14 Super League teams, 23 Championship clubs and Amateur teams. All of them sitting side by side all at once. Obviously the two sets of teams in the final make up the majority of the crowd but a high percentage are neutrals who buy there tickets well in advance before they know who is at the final. There is a family friendly amotsphere with fans from most if not all of the English clubs being in attendance and its the same at the Magic Weekend to a lesser extent.

I'm not wanting to put down how good the 9s probably were, but we do have comparable events/atmospheres over here already.

Obviosuly I wasn't at the 9s and I'm sure it was great and hopefully in a few years it will still be going strong and I'll get to experience it but the CC final is well known for being a mixture of fans from the 14 Super League teams, 23 Championship clubs and Amateur teams. All of them sitting side by side all at once. Obviously the two sets of teams in the final make up the majority of the crowd but a high percentage are neutrals who buy there tickets well in advance before they know who is at the final. There is a family friendly amotsphere with fans from most if not all of the English clubs being in attendance and its the same at the Magic Weekend to a lesser extent.

I'm not wanting to put down how good the 9s probably were, but we do have comparable events/atmospheres over here already.

The main difference is the fans all have teams playing in the same place they all have hopes and a chance of winning the whole lot. It's around fifteen hours of it.

Otherwise the atmosphere at a grandfinal would be quite similar

The main difference is the fans all have teams playing in the same place they all have hopes and a chance of winning the whole lot. It's around fifteen hours of it.

Otherwise the atmosphere at a grandfinal would be quite similar

That's the biggest difference, all teams would play on both days, therefore fans of all teams would be there on both days unlike now where fans may just go on the day their team is playing.

There should be a 9s tournament instead of the magic weekend, with the best 8 sides joining up with the best NRL sides sometime after both the NRL and SL have ended in a 9's tournament in Australia.

If people understood fully the inroads the Auckland Nines made in a Rugby Union country , I doubt they would be so keen to shift it away from Auckland.

I'm not opposed to other countries / Cities hosting tournaments in this format , but I subscribe strongly to expansion.

Most Non Kiwi Fans have a distorted view of the state of Rugby league in NZ. Probably the Hyperbole that goes with the profile of the more successful Kiwi players has created a sense that Rugby league runs a competitive secound or third place to other sports in NZ.

The game struggles to make any headway with the Religion that is Union here. The Nines has given the League game a massive boost in profile. NZ out performs the reality of it's impoverished Local League scene.

The highest paid players in our equivalent of the ESL and NRL would get about two hundred Pounds a week. Most play for free.

Rugby League Numbers rank behind Union , Cricket , Netball , Football , Touch football.

Rugby league has never won an award at the NZ sports awards. Winning a world cup got Zero recognition behind Rowing etc.

We Punch above our weight.

We needed a shock and Awe campaign to Woo the Sports mad kiwi Public along to a Rugby league event.

In the War for the NZ sporting dollar......the NRL just let off a Nuke in Rugby Union central.

Batten down the hatches.....the Union Machine had talk back radio a buzz the following day with the debate topic ' NRL Nines Versus Sevens .....are the Nines just a gimmick '

The Wars just started , first round to rugby league....why should we want to withdraw the troops to other strongholds of world league now ?

The Ultimate prize is great. Winning the NZ public would see an increase in numbers faster than any other Rugby league Market ( how do I know ? It's already proving to be the case ).

I think the NRL needs to keep Auckland at the center of any expansion plans. It is a strong anchor point. Set up other nines tournaments sure....but keep Auckland firmly where it is.....leading the New Zealand Sports event Calender. 

Mt Smart. 

You make them out like they are planning the battle of the coral sea. 

I dont think Auckland will hold onto the Nines for as long as you think. They might have it played in Auckland every second year, unless they enter more teams and hold it over two week-ends. Then you could play the first weekend round in Brisbane, and the second weekend and finals in Auckland, that would work well. Everyone would be happy, the fans, the sponsors and the TV execs and NRL board. 

Every second year reverse the finals so both cities enjoy seeing the beginning and finals. I suppose Melbourne will want a part of the action, and probably Perth. 

This is going to be huge, you do realise that. Just today Suncorp Corp the stadium hirarky want to hold this event in Brisbane, more retired players are coming forward to have a crack, Free-to-air TV want the rights, and the Salford Devils coach wants to create his own Nines tournament in Dubai, Saudi Arabia. 

This will go global, and if they treat it like the iPL Cricket, it will become huge. Buying players to get for your team, billionaires love that stuff. 

This is the tip of the iceburg, and the Nines as i knew is a perfect game for this event, it is why everyone is going banana's over the Nines, everyone, even Union. 

They must be kicking themselves. 

Nines will take over the world as a short form of Rugby, be it League or union. 

They need to patient that short version of Nines Tens and elevens. 

So NRL nines tens and elevens, Super league Nines Tens and Elevens, World Cup Nines Tens and elevens. 

Spread the word. 

Mt Smart. 

You make them out like they are planning the battle of the coral sea. 

I dont think Auckland will hold onto the Nines for as long as you think. They might have it played in Auckland every second year, unless they enter more teams and hold it over two week-ends. Then you could play the first weekend round in Brisbane, and the second weekend and finals in Auckland, that would work well. Everyone would be happy, the fans, the sponsors and the TV execs and NRL board. 

Every second year reverse the finals so both cities enjoy seeing the beginning and finals. I suppose Melbourne will want a part of the action, and probably Perth. 

This is going to be huge, you do realise that. Just today Suncorp Corp the stadium hirarky want to hold this event in Brisbane, more retired players are coming forward to have a crack, Free-to-air TV want the rights, and the Salford Devils coach wants to create his own Nines tournament in Dubai, Saudi Arabia. 

This will go global, and if they treat it like the iPL Cricket, it will become huge. Buying players to get for your team, billionaires love that stuff. 

This is the tip of the iceburg, and the Nines as i knew is a perfect game for this event, it is why everyone is going banana's over the Nines, everyone, even Union. 

They must be kicking themselves. 

Nines will take over the world as a short form of Rugby, be it League or union. 

They need to patient that short version of Nines Tens and elevens. 

So NRL nines tens and elevens, Super league Nines Tens and Elevens, World Cup Nines Tens and elevens. 

Spread the word. 

I like a bit of Hyperbole and the smell of Napalm in the morning.

Invariably it will take off and leave Auckland behind , I was just planting my flag for NZRL and waving a fist at the Union Giant here while the going is good.

We won a bit of a battle the war between codes is far from over,

Radio sport , our local all things sport station here delayed discussing the NRL nines for 24hrs due to cricket coverage , if it had of been a Rugby Union watershed they would have opened up talk back lines on their Am Verus their FM frequency.

Pretty low really , a few phoned in today to hold them to task over it.

Still talking the Nines a day later and other dirty little Unionisms won't quell the thirst for a repeat next year.

It is very important the Nines remain relevant in a NZ context. They could take over the Dominance of the other code as such that would make for a team that could compete with Australia and England on a whole other level.

the Salford Devils coach wants to create his own Nines tournament in Dubai, Saudi Arabia. 

Where did you see that mate? The one thing I really want Koukash to do is promote RL in the Middle East. The Middle East and China are the two biggest markets out there and we need to gain some headway. 

Where did you see that mate? The one thing I really want Koukash to do is promote RL in the Middle East. The Middle East and China are the two biggest markets out there and we need to gain some headway.

there are numerous media articles about it. http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-20/nrl-nines-sparks-overseas-interest/5272352

All I can say to ESL fans after a weekend at the Auckland Nines is......if you can get there and your clubs playing.....it will be the most good vibe rugby league fan meeting and melting pot you could ever imagine.

People standing in line from sixteen clubs chatting rugby league and wishing each others teams the best for the weekend. 

It is stunning......like Miss World and Miss universe are fond of saying.....in the Rugby league world it is....

World peace.

A Hundred thousand happy faces over two days...no agro....kid safe.....and as every team came out for the first time they were shocked by the ' opposition fans ' sending up a massive roar for them.

I hope four ESL teams make 2015 , you will not regret it

Is Auckland 9s an annual 9s club competition?  Where will it be held next year?

And is there 9s international competition?  And has 7s been extinct?