Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zuehb Zaki

Batley Players Banned

67 posts in this topic

Bet on the first score to be a penalty for your team. Then 5 minutes in at 0-0, you've got the line at your mercy. Do you take the try?

Put a handicap bet on your team to win by 4 to 6 points. You're 4 in front with not long left. You have the ball in your hand, or are about to take an easy pass and score. What do you do?

it should have been obvious to anyone that playing a final against a team we can,t seem to beat that any points available would be taken we had done it throughout the playoffs ,even did it in northern rail final.

to suggest that either player would deliberately risk losing a game to win a bet is ludicrous and I am certain that neither player would have hesitated with the line at there mercy.

I have no sympathy for either player but this must feel like a kick in the guts for the fans and the club, all of whom deserve much greater respect from such experienced players.

As to the comments regarding the severity of the crime and the punishment these are laid out clearly in RFL regulations for all of the players to see, largely as a result of previous shenanigans by SL players. There really is no excuse.

Batley should have sacked Campbell years ago when he attacked that soldier and left him 'brain damaged'

Campbell-end is a ######....

Yes they made a very stupid mistake were is the education from the rfl ie imforming and educating players on these sudjects . We are not privey to why or how they did this . Imho i believe rfl should be telling players what they should or shouldnt be allowed to do .

Anybody got bolu faghborn or darren moxons number

to suggest that either player would deliberately risk losing a game to win a bet is ludicrous and I am certain that neither player would have hesitated with the line at there mercy.

I'm not saying they would, just pointing out why it's not allowed. The rules can't be "don't bet on a game you're playing in unless you don't personally reckon you'd do anything dodgy to affect a game". 

do boxers not regularly bet on their own results to win? think the problem they both have is that they bet on the first score coming from a penalty. bookies generally have the odds stacked in their favour they take great offence to not having it their own way. are you so sure they wouldn't drop a pass with the line begging to win their respective bets, i do not no them but surely their previous offences would suggest they are not choirboys

Well I'm finding it greatly amusing

The 2 clowns should have got banged up

For their previous crimes

Karma.... Ain't it a (female dog)

Sometimes ;)

Strainge.. There appears to be a lot of people on here that were there when campbell punched that guy and because of the outcome (which is awful i know) makes campbell a bad guy. 2 sides to every story and I'm sure Johnny never meant to permenantly injure the guy. how many of you on here have ever punched someone (I bet you all have at some point) and all it takes is one punch to do seroius damage.

I agree that both players should be punished but I do feel the length of the bans is a little harsh.

What relevance does this vitriolic 'Faal should have gone to prison for this' and 'Jonny Campbell did that and should be locked up' have in this case.

Every Rugby League team (in the world) has had some issues at some point so please stop.

"The Tribunal accepted that there was no suggestion of match fixing in the breaches of Operational Rules by Campbell and Faal."

Let justice run it's course and get behind the club, because we may need a new player or three this season.

Terry we are just hurting and the fact that a valued player is given a second chance then goes and blows it again really sucks.

Far too many old school have left mount pleasant this year as it is

So it was alrite for Campbel to be called a black +astard. Dont think so.Regarding the betting please dont make out that these are the bad boys of Rugby League. They are not the first and they will not be the last.

Those bans that have been given out to Fael & Campbell are in line to what Shaun Leaf( Doncaster)& Mark Cass( Oldham) ex batley got so I don't think they can have any complaints. I just think they've let everyone down they know the rules about gambling on a game that you are playing in,and as for the incident involving Campbell a few year ago no matter what was & what was not said he didn't deserve that,you'd probably feel differently if that was your son that was left paralysed!!!!!

don,t understand why it should be an offence to back yourselves to win a game. totally understand sean longs ban as he backed against his own team the sentence seems very harsh to say the least and I am sure that the bookmakers involved would not have said anything if the bet had lost.

But they are the rules, and everybody except Jonny Dumbell and Aiden Fool seemed to know about them. There is nothing in the rules about friends or family members placing bets, so why on earth would they not get someone else to put the bet on for them? I'd heard the bets were for £10 at 3 to 1 which somehow makes it even more idiotic, to risk a ban for the sake of £30, they deserve all they get. 

The bottom line is that these two clowns have let the club, their team and the supporters down (and not for the first time I might add) I personally hope that neither of them get to wear a Batley shirt again. We are a family club and our players should be role models for our kids and grankids. There are enough good players out there whose standard of behaviour is decent on and off the pitch - lets hope we can replace these two, with lads with with a bit more integrity

pitch.

There's a lot of people who are very quick to condemn. The same people who were probably cheering Johnny Campbell to the heavens when he scored in the GF in September.

Both lads have been incredibly daft, and have been punished for if. The outcome seems a little harsh but rules are rules and have to be followed. Let's not kid ourselves though, these two aren't the only RL players betting on games, they were just daft enough to get caught.

Bringing past history into it isn't fair, whatever people's opinions are. The issues are completely irrelevant and unrelated.

Both, especially JC will be a massive loss for us. And the players will lose out too as I suspect their contracts will become null and void as a result.

But let's not act as if they've been found guilty of selling drugs to kids or beating up pensioners. They've been stupid, and it doesn't look good on the club, but let's have a bit of perspective at the same time.

And you would be right to talk about perspective if this was the first time these two had let us down, but it isn't. People have been prepared to forgive past behaviour and given them a second chance and still they let us down. It is precisely because we have cheered JC on over the ladt few seasons that people are so upset about it.

Well the banned players are now history for the present and i hope that it does not affect a successful season for our club. It is not going to be a cakewalk to make the top nine which is the least we have to achieve .Lets hope that JK manages to bring in a couple of good outside backs to give us the balance we need. Maybe now is the time for our supporters who are not a member of BISSA to join and help to secure the funds to move on from the stupid crass naivity of JC & AF. 

There's a lot of people who are very quick to condemn. The same people who were probably cheering Johnny Campbell to the heavens when he scored in the GF in September.

Both lads have been incredibly daft, and have been punished for if. The outcome seems a little harsh but rules are rules and have to be followed. Let's not kid ourselves though, these two aren't the only RL players betting on games, they were just daft enough to get caught.

Bringing past history into it isn't fair, whatever people's opinions are. The issues are completely irrelevant and unrelated.

Both, especially JC will be a massive loss for us. And the players will lose out too as I suspect their contracts will become null and void as a result.

But let's not act as if they've been found guilty of selling drugs to kids or beating up pensioners. They've been stupid, and it doesn't look good on the club, but let's have a bit of perspective at the same time.

Probably the most sensible post here. Yes they were stupid and yes they have to be punished. However previous incidents are unrelated. As a fan its dissapointing, especially from JC's point of view as I felt that as a senior player and the end of last season he would have been a key player. This is something they will have to cope with, and not playign the game for a year is punishment enough. Lets not get too excited and slamming them beyond belief.

The most important thing now is Leigh on Sunday who are convinced they are goign to destroy us, according to their forums. Lets switch are attentions to the 17 guys who will do us proud at the LSV.

From what i can gather the amounts bet were relativly small and were placed on a batley result and not backing the opposition . very harsh judgements in my book and a slap on the wrist offence to me although jimbobram would have them both put to death it seems.

That is just not the point. The most important people to suffer from the betting scandals are the loyal club supporters. They tip up enough of their hard earned cash to watch a "clean" game of rugby. Such players, be it betting or drugs, should be really hammered IMO.. 

Its ok saying they should be hammered,i agree with a ban but 12 months for a patt time player placing a £20 bet is harsh, i remember sean long doing exactly same with a bigger wager and only getting a 3 month ban, now you tell me thats fair.

The one thing I find a bit difficult to understand is the length of time this has taken to be dealt with.  The RFL knew about this just after the match took place having, allegedly been alerted by the Gaming authorities.  The evidence therefore would have been pretty cut and dried and any interview with the persons concerned could have taken place fairly quickly.  The hearing would then be set up, but these are a regular occurrence so would not be a problem to arrange, and the matter could have been dealt with.  If the hearing had taken place in, say December, then Faal would have been available to play in June and Campbell would have been available for the pre-season matches next year. Instead he cannot play until virtually the first league match next season so will not have had any pre-season match practice and is effectively being punished for longer than 12 months. Why did it take until the week the season starts for the hearing to be held?

Its ok saying they should be hammered,i agree with a ban but 12 months for a patt time player placing a £20 bet is harsh, i remember sean long doing exactly same with a bigger wager and only getting a 3 month ban, now you tell me thats fair.

Long was the first in recent times and the RFL thought that 3 month was a good enough deterrent, it wasn't, so subsequent law breakers have got more and more severe penalties and it will continue until the handed out deterrents are seen to be just that, if players continue to break the rules the RFL will rightly continue to increase the bans until such a time that the players learn.

Of course it should be an offence. 

Bet on the first score to be a penalty for your team. Then 5 minutes in at 0-0, you've got the line at your mercy. Do you take the try?

Put a handicap bet on your team to win by 4 to 6 points. You're 4 in front with not long left. You have the ball in your hand, or are about to take an easy pass and score. What do you do?

JC has been in my top 2 or 3 players since he joined us. I'm gutted.

Wish I hadn't deleted the final now, I'd like to watch it back.  

you can still see the final.....

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/244421-2013-grand-final-video-sheffield-eagles-v-batley-bulldogs/

I'm a little less quick to lambaste the two of them.

They've not sought to deliberately cheat or influence the game. They were betting on their own team unlike Long (3 months) and Gleeson (4 months). They've not tried to hurt anyone or done something reckless that could have ended someone's career. Remember Craig Miles got 6 months for his assault on Dean Lawford. I think the bans, especially JC's, are harsh. 

That said, they've broken the rules and have to take the punishment on the chin. I'd expect the club to support them and would welcome them back once the bans are up.