Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supporter

Doncaster Match

150 posts in this topic

V disappointed with our tactics today, in the opening 10 mins we threw the ball wide, made a lot of ground and scored, then played right into their hands by trying to go up the middle, we don't have the forwards we had last year to do it, when on the odd occasions we did throw it wide they looked ordinary and points where there to be scored. We need front row forwards to take the ball up, Lupton or McAvoy mom for me. But I am afraid we where a beaten pack today and we are going to meet a lot better packs than Doncaster before the season end.

Difficult at the moment with emotions high and thoughts spinning , but a few observations .

1) we are a team traditionally built on a strong pack , but we looked so lightweight up the guts today . We need more muscle . Poor Mcavoy was given some tough treatment .

2) When you have the flow you must score points. This is a perennial problem for us . When you have the foot on the throat make it count

3 ) we still look toothless and rudderless to often in attack and everything is a grind . Nothing looks fluid or fluent . We don't ask enough questions of defences.

4) our passing needs drastic improvement . I'm peters biggest fan but not his day today . We must move the ball crisper or no end of Wigan players can help . Tierney has promise

5 ) Donny bullied us , and showed what basic error free rugby with a good organiser can do . For the last 50 minutes they played it brilliantly . Seeing a team out physical us here is an eye opener.

6) We lack nous and awareness , and continue to make to many errors. How many times did Donny play textbook , controlled sets and hand it back under our sticks - game management

7 ) to many soft tries conceded

8 ) the ref was awful and totally out of his depth

9) finally , if we can't win these games it's gonna be a long season . Our lack of off season activity could really hurt . That was an eye opener and even our much vaunted conditioning was off - we had so many guys walking back to get onside . Need lots of work .

DavidM

Thanks for the comments re Doncaster, we were shocking v Crusaders last week end & I feared the worse !

I think the 3 Cumbrian sides got a real reality check today, all 3 getting beat by relegation rivals and beaten pretty easily. Really worrying times for us all.

Weighman we could play you every day with 17 DR from Manly and not win ... That's how it feels anyway !

What for a Thacks or Acton today !!! Stacky head and shoulders above anyone else for me with young Callum second.

Luppy had a good first half, but looked out on his feet second half, and I now McAvoy is only a boy but I think to much is asked of him , he needs someone with experienced to learn from in that position, hopefully we can put someone with him soon.

Disappointed not to win, as first half was very encouraging, fast balls even the backs seen a lot of it today, then second half nothing, we found it hard to get anywhere there line speed was faster, there play the ball was faster and they looked hungry and wanted it more than us.

Oh well here's for a win at the Dogs next week ! !!!

Very disappointing today after looking good in the first 20 minutes we started to play one man rugby up the middle and came off second best.   In the second half we couldn't get out of our own half until we started to throw the ball about again and made good yards but not enough of it.

We always seem to not know what to do when teams get in our faces and Donny did that from the 20th minute or thereabouts onwards.    We looked awfully slow moving up on them in comparison and that allowed Cooke to sit in his little box and dictate play.   Once again we got a decent crowd - 895 - and then put in a performance like that in the second half.    I thought the Wigan lads did alright without doing anything special but we need to realise that we don't have the muscle up front and if we are wanting to make yards we gained more from moving it about.

The referee showed just how inexperienced he is and that is the fault of those at Red Hall that allocate refs.    I did note in the programme it says the ref should have been Malcolm Thomason, so I wonder why it was changed?

Listening to the post match interview apperntly our go forward was good! I must have been watching a different game. Get on the phone to the walne brothers!!!!

Donny no more than workman like but simple game plan and few errors 2nd half. We were fairly evenly matched sides but our discipline poor - to get a penalty reversed on your own line isn't the smartest! Match we should have won but if you have no possession you stand little chance. Feeling rather glum and a little pessimistic right now.

I think now is the tiime to panic! Need props we can't lose the players like Acton,thacks and dowes and not replace them..

How many places are we winning at ? Home games are immense , especially to the non - elite group of 9. This is a damaging result , first game or not .

I think now is the tiime to panic! Need props we can't lose the players like Acton,thacks and dowes and not replace them..

weve all said it for months, and I know we missed out on a couple of players like Annakin, but a loose forward is not what we need, it's props and at least 2 possibly 3. Why not give big Callum a game,I know he's inexperienced but at least he's got the size of a prop. Now can the people in charge wake up and get us some forwards,on loan,dual reg, kidnapping or any other means.

I didn't hear the aftermath interview but I bet we got the usual ' we have to cut the errors out. ' Maybe one day ... We are used to seeing our pack compete equally at least . The bullying we got by their go forward was most alarming . If we ain't got that what have we got ?

I didn't hear the aftermath interview but I bet we got the usual ' we have to cut the errors ogout. ' Maybe one day ... We are used to seeing our pack compete equally at least . The bullying we got by their go forward was most alarming . If we ain't got that what have we got ?

yes the interview centred around errors. Donny didn't make them and we did and it was a classic example of getting punished for it. Not a mention of why we couldn't get out of our own half.

It was a lesson in basic organisation , in defence and go forward , ball control and game management . In our league that gets the job done more than not . Other teams often look nothing special but are more structured and controlled than we are and end up with the lollies without really pulling up any trees . Basics with and without the ball give teams no piggy backs or prezzies . Rolling through a set then pinging it to the in goal and smothering was great

I know its only the first game of the season, but the glass is half full already for me, get the couple of forwards we need and I think we could scrap by this season, if not well I fear we wont survive, time will tell, Charlo must see things differently to us.

And Batley got a real touch up by Leigh I see

yeah it will be some contrast for batley, playing a team with heaps of props in Leigh,then playing us with erm...... Let's say not as many.

We lost Thacks, Dowes and Acton and replaced them with Lucock, Duerden and Rowlandson and none of those 3 lads played today.   We brought 3 lads in from Wigan 2 days before the game who did okay but when you look around and see how other teams have strengthened their squads it is not looking very good for us.   

On one set from Doncaster they started a couple of yards from their own line and we took possession of the ball about 2 yards from our own line and that was from 5 tackles and a little grubber kick, yet we couldn't get over the halfway line.   That must tell our coach and board that we need nmore muscle up front, surely.

yeah it will be some contrast for batley, playing a team with heaps of props in Leigh,then playing us with erm...... Let's say not as many.

lets say one.

Coward yes . I feel sorry for young Mcavoy . Just a kid , heart of a lion , but he's taking to much punishment being a leading prop with no senior guys to feed off . I thought Shacks may make a prop but this league is brutal and his ball security and impact at this level isn't up to it . All in all you're right , we need senior props , but we've only had 6 months . Maybe this week

Couldn't get over for the game today but it sounds like we're short of a couple of props. Is improvement needed anywhere else?

Coward yes . I feel sorry for young Mcavoy . Just a kid , heart of a lion , but he's taking to much punishment being a leading prop with no senior guys to feed off . I thought Shacks may make a prop but this league is brutal and his ball security and impact at this level isn't up to it . All in all you're right , we need senior props , but we've only had 6 months . Maybe this week

maybe next, maybe the week after or maybe bloody never. Other than coward we haven't got a prop with the size and experience needed to compete,and the big lad picked up quite a few injuries last season and with him coming towards the end, is more likely to this year as well.shacks is a great replacement for stack and Brett to spell them, putting him to prop shows we never strengthened at all, and then we have we move centres to cover at 2nd row. It's been a disaster all preseason and then we get Wigan lads in but for positions we don't really need.

Couldn't get over for the game today but it sounds like we're short of a couple of props. Is improvement needed anywhere else?

Err... Yes . But we nailed our goal kicks and Rooney put in two bell ringers . And we scored the best try . And we managed to tackle Cooke at least once . And Haney has a great beard So not all bad