Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jamescolin

Dewsbury 11 Featherstone 10

74 posts in this topic

You lot did not take your chances you should at least gone for goal at least four times in the first half which would of put you 8 nil up.

Bad decisions by coaching staff and players you would of gone on and won the game if you would of gone for goal.

Agree 100% about going for goal. Poor decision which cost us in the end. IMO the lads looked jaded. They have had too many friendlies which were against good opposition. This, along with usual training, showed. Created very little from midfield. 90% possession and field position in first half and still could not breach the Rams defence, which although scrambling at times held firm. Not much flair in attack today..Expected more.

Agree 100% about going for goal. Poor decision which cost us in the end. IMO the lads looked jaded. They have had too many friendlies which were against good opposition. This, along with usual training, showed. Created very little from midfield. 90% possession and field position in first half and still could not breach the Rams defence, which although scrambling at times held firm. Not much flair in attack today..Expected more.

Flair, lets hope those days aren't behind us. Hardman, Uaisele, Briggs/Kain all back in next week hopefully.

final home league game of last season, Dewsbury beat us (Leigh), and fully deserved it. Their backs had a lot of pace, and Karl Pryce actually looked like a decent player !

Heard the 1st 30 minutes was ALL Fev, but you couldn't get over the 'try line'.

If you'd have got 'stuffed' I'd be worried, but a 1 point defeat !?

Off side killed us today, Moore had absolutely no time on the ball and it never got to the wing all game. Thackeray had much more time with ball in hand in the second half.

One question. How can we be penalised for offside in our own in goal?

team will do that when they know where the threat is.......Halifax did it in pre-season and will try and do it next week no doubt.

I think the offside you are referring to was when tommy failed to catch and it went forward to be caught by another one of our stood in front of him.

Yes and both were in goal, so cannot be off side. I think that resulted in a try against us.

Quite a few times over the seasons I have said 'If there are two points available then take them'. On quite a few occasions the team have run the ball instead and scored a try and a conversion leaving me feeling a bit foolish as I had said it out loud on the terraces. Was today's criticism being wise after the event or were the conditions such a goal kick was obviously the option to take. In your opinion should we always take the two points?

been to the game today cracking game for first run out think both teams need a good 9 and 7 two bland need to create alot more than they did today all the best chappy xx

Have to agree take the points all the time Especially when we couldnt break there line to score for 30 minutes

Anyway it's gone now time for the team and coaching staff to sort it out and for everyone to turn up next week and cheers the team on against Fax

Great game today

And a pleasure to watch

And a good turnout by the good people

Of Featherstone

Personally I think today could be your best result of the season... Just the humbling you might need to win the league this season...everybody concerned will get a kick up the backside and make you more hungry,more clinical & most of all more respectful of the opposition.

Featherstone took a step back today

and I'm confident you'll bounce 3 steps forward from this.

Today was what rugby league is all about

:)

Been saying for a couple of months that Dewsbury look like dark horses this year, they proved me right this afternoon.

Fantastic defensive effort, well deserved win today.

Hope Fev learn from today and go on to smash 'fax next week.

Leatherbarrow is a poor ref and turns a blind eye when it suits; But hey he gave us four kickable penalties and we treated Dewsbury like we would a lowly amateur team; Give respect to the opposition 2 penalties equals one very hard earned try; Give us some zip next week..Sunley or Kainy; Well done Dewsbury your defence was excellent; You visited our line only about five times all the game and won great stuff;

You can't knock any side beaten by such a fine defensive effort. Conditions weren't right for expansive rugby, as shown by the number of lost balls. The final penalty of the first half should have been converted to two points as by then it was obvious the score would be close. The earlier penalties could be excused, but why the reversal in the 2nd period, we didn't get a sniff of one in their half? I don't think the ref could be blamed, rather we burned ourselves out and lost our intensity in trying to break down their impenetrable defence.

Well done the Rams. 

Off side killed us today, Moore had absolutely no time on the ball and it never got to the wing all game. Thackeray had much more time with ball in hand in the second half.

One question. How can we be penalised for offside in our own in goal?

You cannot be offside in your own in goal area. Ref gave a forward pass. Ball was knocked forward and gathered and it doesn't matter that it was our own in goal area.

Enjoyed my visit to Dewsbury. Thought the ground improvements looked good. It felt friendly and pleasant, and the admission prices were just about right. An excellent start to their season, and good luck to them. Their fans must have been delighted with their organisation and determination.

A tense and enthralling match. Defences were very good; Dewsbury just a bit more organised and secure than Rovers. Their half-backs outplayed the Rovers half-backs, and led their forwards well. Rovers forwards seemed handicapped by poor and badly co-ordinated ball supply. Rovers' inability to score with so much first half possession was worrying. Much of the season will be like this I expect – tense and nervous – the difference between success and relegation will be a matter of fine margins for most teams. And that includes Rovers. I think we'll be a running side and do well in good weather. But we can't get too many wrong.

But for me, the afternoon's entertainment was spoiled by the referee's constant and total failure to keep the defensive line onside at the play-the-ball. It reduces the room for the attack, and virtually eliminates opportunities for creative play, evasive running and the thrilling back-line ball movement which should be an essential part of Rugby League. And it must be a conscious decision; I cannot believe it is incompetence. Referees appear to have been instructed to orchestrate this aspect of the game with their voice, seemingly afraid ever to admit a penalty for defensive offside at the play-the-ball.

The continuing move by the sport towards referees choreographing the game to a proscribed and prescribed pattern is moving me closer and closer to ending my over fifty years of following rugby league.

My view only: most supporters are delighted with the high speed battering contests modern rule interpretations produce.

The ball doesn't have to hit the ground for it to be a forward pass.

You cannot be offside in your own in goal area. Ref gave a forward pass. Ball was knocked forward and gathered and it doesn't matter that it was our own in goal area.

If he gave a penalty, he didn't give it for a forward pass.  That'd be a drop out.

I've heard some excuses in my time,narrow pitch,heavy under foot,rams being offside. Small pitch your coach played played straight into our hands play it down the middle,in my opinion you've probably about the best 2 wingers in the league in Sharpe & saxton but only time they saw the ball was when they were fielding kicks. The conditions were the same for both teams,in fact we probably dropped more ball than you. As for the offside I thought the ref was generous for both teams,you fail to mention crossley laying on,Hurst & Lockwood dropping in with elbows & knees! The thing is you won the penalty count,in fact 1st half 9_3 but you didn't go for at least 4 kickable goals you thought you could score a try that to me is a lack of respect on your part. Don't forget you've got all the so called "super star's" & a lot bigger playing budget & you couldn't beat poor old Dewsbury!!!

Laying on.....I thought the Dewsbury players had gone to sleep on top of our lads. Why do you think the ball never got yo the wings? The wingers would of had to be stood in the car park.

I noticed that everytime we got the ball we ran into middle. Don't know if this is because Dewsbury were offside and we had no other options or because their players are Supermen with super speed. I didn't see many opportunities for us to get ball to the wing.

Think the championship is the new Superleague after our pre-season performance.

The only way you could get an open ,expansive game on that pitch is by playing touchline to touchline

Like I say looking for excuses,I think both sides were guilty of those offences but I must admit makes a change the ref going against the so called better sides! Glad kain didn't play or Liam Finn, Gareth Moore your having a laugh!!