Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roughyedspud

Roughyeds fans trust

29 members have voted

1. 1. would you become a member

• yes
    • no

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

238 posts in this topic

What has he invested into it?

If you mean his time then don't forget hes being paid for it

Well i presume when he and others set the new club up in 1997 there was some investment involved as they didn't have a kitty to dip into. Kit, players, equipment etc. Honestly don't know what outlay there was. I don't know CH well but i get a bit bored with the character assassination that goes on. Often not based on facts but conjecture. I'm not sure we would have a club to support if he'd thrown in the towel. But others might know different.. 

the more i think about it....its probably easier to start a new club...

East oldham RLFC....anyone?

the meeting was ace...

it was the oh so brief chat with "ORSA" that has knocked this sideways...well i say chat,i wasn't allowed to speak,i think they see what im trying to do as a personal attack on themselves and i tried to explain that it wasn't they walked away leaving with a few choice remarks like i live in a dreamworld....

well it takes someone with a dream to get things moving...

cant believe "ORSA"not wanting the ideas you tried to put forward, dont they want new members and take the club forward,

You can say that CH has invested £millions or not a penny, or that, as CEO, he's paid £250k a year or £15k a year, but it's all speculation, as you've more chance of breaking into Fort Knox than seeing ORLFC's books!

One of the massive problems we now have as a club is a total lack of credibility and, among lots of fans, or former fans, apathy. I believe that, as a sporting club in this town, we are a total irrelevance and even people with the best interests of the club at heart are losing both faith and hope. Is there a way to reverse the gradual decline of this once proud and great club? I believe there is but it's radical in the extreme. 

I've thought, for some years, that the only way CH will leave is if he's forced out by an unpayable tax bill sending the club to the wall. It's say loads about our present, desperate situation that this is the only thing lots of speccies, or former speccies, can hope for, because that truly, IMHO, is the club's only chance of moving forward eventually. And, in answer to the question which will inevitably follow as to whether the RFL would allow a new club back in, consider this. We are still allowed, after nearly 5 years, to play at a dump laughingly known as a stadium when amateur clubs would be barred from playing at such sub standard facilities. Tends to suggest that the RFL wouldn't like to be without a professional presence in the town, probably mainly to do with the town's strong amateur setup.

And before anyone accuses me of being totally negative, think long and hard if anything I've said , in the second paragraph, is off the mark. I don't believe it is.

Well i presume when he and others set the new club up in 1997 there was some investment involved as they didn't have a kitty to dip into. Kit, players, equipment etc. Honestly don't know what outlay there was. I don't know CH well but i get a bit bored with the character assassination that goes on. Often not based on facts but conjecture. I'm not sure we would have a club to support if he'd thrown in the towel. But others might know different..

There was no character assassination in my post...just a question and a simple point.

There's a lot of people who are frustrated at the clubs continual demise and the stranglehold one man has over it's direction.

Granted he's fought hard to keep the club afloat but he's not done himself any favours alienating himself with sponsors and supporters.

The club needs a change before it's too late.

You can say that CH has invested £millions or not a penny, or that, as CEO, he's paid £250k a year or £15k a year, but it's all speculation, as you've more chance of breaking into Fort Knox than seeing ORLFC's books!

One of the massive problems we now have as a club is a total lack of credibility and, among lots of fans, or former fans, apathy. I believe that, as a sporting club in this town, we are a total irrelevance and even people with the best interests of the club at heart are losing both faith and hope. Is there a way to reverse the gradual decline of this once proud and great club? I believe there is but it's radical in the extreme.

I've thought, for some years, that the only way CH will leave is if he's forced out by an unpayable tax bill sending the club to the wall. It's say loads about our present, desperate situation that this is the only thing lots of speccies, or former speccies, can hope for, because that truly, IMHO, is the club's only chance of moving forward eventually. And, in answer to the question which will inevitably follow as to whether the RFL would allow a new club back in, consider this. We are still allowed, after nearly 5 years, to play at a dump laughingly known as a stadium when amateur clubs would be barred from playing at such sub standard facilities. Tends to suggest that the RFL wouldn't like to be without a professional presence in the town, probably mainly to do with the town's strong amateur setup.

And before anyone accuses me of being totally negative, think long and hard if anything I've said , in the second paragraph, is off the mark. I don't believe it is.

Spot on RIOA

There is a number of things I would like to clear up, before anyone starts slating ORSA and CH regards last sundays meeting of the fans.

Firstly, by his own admission, roughyedspud had not been to a single game at the Whitebank prior to Sunday, so really he did not have any idea as to what the ground criteria was.

Secondly, I heard through a reliable source, that spud had sent an email to the club, putting forward the 25per cent share proposal that was shown to fellow supporters in the King George last Sunday lunch. The club emailed back saying that CH was interested and would be available for a meeting , thurs 10-2pm. No reply was forthcoming, so a further email was sent, saying that if contact had not been made by close of business Wed, the club would consider the matter closed. The club did not hear back by that deadline.

Thirdly, Spud was advised by a fellow supporter to leave approaching ORSA till a later date, but he declined to do so, and I understand that his manner in approach and certain allegations he made to ORSA , caused Shelia great distress.

But this is the bit I want to defend through angry and gritted teeth.  ORSA currently find themselves in a bit of a limbo, as the loss of Nigel Marland to them was huge, he was the link to CH, and respected by both parties. ORSA are doing their best to get fans to  support the club through them, but with just the same faces week in week, out it's difficult for them to get the membership up. There is a quiz night March 19th, for ORSA, which is being promoted by long standing fan, Julie Smith.

Grant and Shelia are doing a great job, travel to every away game, and considering they are both retired,  their loyal support is unquestionable.

As for starting a new club, hilarious, exactly where are you going to get the money from, a ground and pass the proper fit and person test?.

I'll leave spud to answer that, as he travels to his next Rhino's game.

There is a number of things I would like to clear up, before anyone starts slating ORSA and CH regards last sundays meeting of the fans.

Firstly, by his own admission, roughyedspud had not been to a single game at the Whitebank prior to Sunday, so really he did not have any idea as to what the ground criteria was.

Secondly, I heard through a reliable source, that spud had sent an email to the club, putting forward the 25per cent share proposal that was shown to fellow supporters in the King George last Sunday lunch. The club emailed back saying that CH was interested and would be available for a meeting , thurs 10-2pm. No reply was forthcoming, so a further email was sent, saying that if contact had not been made by close of business Wed, the club would consider the matter closed. The club did not hear back by that deadline.

Thirdly, Spud was advised by a fellow supporter to leave approaching ORSA till a later date, but he declined to do so, and I understand that his manner in approach and certain allegations he made to ORSA , caused Shelia great distress.

But this is the bit I want to defend through angry and gritted teeth.  ORSA currently find themselves in a bit of a limbo, as the loss of Nigel Marland to them was huge, he was the link to CH, and respected by both parties. ORSA are doing their best to get fans to  support the club through them, but with just the same faces week in week, out it's difficult for them to get the membership up. There is a quiz night March 19th, for ORSA, which is being promoted by long standing fan, Julie Smith.

Grant and Shelia are doing a great job, travel to every away game, and considering they are both retired,  their loyal support is unquestionable.

As for starting a new club, hilarious, exactly where are you going to get the money from, a ground and pass the proper fit and person test?.

is this true roughyedspud?

But this is the bit I want to defend through angry and gritted teeth. ORSA currently find themselves in a bit of a limbo, as the loss of Nigel Marland to them was huge, he was the link to CH, and respected by both parties. ORSA are doing their best to get fans to support the club through them, but with just the same faces week in week, out it's difficult for them to get the membership up. There is a quiz night March 19th, for ORSA, which is being promoted by long standing fan, Julie Smith.

Grant and Shelia are doing a great job, travel to every away game, and considering they are both retired, their loyal support is unquestionable.

firstly....ive not hidden the fact ive not been to whitebank....ive also not hidden the fact why...not because of CH,i don't mind the guy, or because whitebank is a ######,what i saw on sunday was a site with a loads of potential....I CAN'T GET TO WHITEBANK ON SUNDAYS BECAUSE I WORK ON SUNDAYS...

secondly...and most worryingly..i have not emailed the club with the 25% proposal that got handed out on sunday,infact i didn't even finalizing it properly till the friday & saturday before the game and i printed it all out on the sunday of the game....and i absolutely have not had 1 email from the club let alone 2!! christ i would have jumped at the chance!

thirdly....i only wanted to give grant & shelia the two page proposal and leave further talks for another time...but i was jumped on,much like this post,told i don't come to games,don't know this & don't know that.....and i think "the certain allegation" i think you refer to is when i simply asked " but could ORSA not be bigger?" perfectly valid question given it was the only one i was allowed to get in.

NEVER HAVE I SAID A BAD WORD ABOUT ORSA....OR GRANT OR SHELIA..

fourthly....starting up a new club was kinda said in jest....but the way things are panning out,the way lifelong fans and sponsors are being alienated don't be surprised if it happens...

and to finish....the last 3 times ive been to headingley....oldham v featherstone grand final, kevs testimoninal against OLDHAM....and the melbourne v leeds WCC last year....because i work nights&weekends any chance i get to take the misses away for the night im gonna take it...hence why we stayed over in huddersfield on friday and took in the super league game!..... i also take in challenge cup semi finals should they fall on my booked holidays...suppose that makes me a warrington & wigan fan too

its frankly pathetic you chose to finish the post the way you did....but not surprising.....

THATS REALLY WOUND ME UP.....it never happened!

Sounds like ORSA are as pig-headed and obstructive as the owner is!

I'd leave them to it mate. Let them keep shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

Sooner or later hopefully a big tax bill will put an end to the whole charade and the fans can look at starting a new club.

thats not what all this was about...

but it seems the smear campaign is in full swing now,the club is just too toxic... so im out till this club goes pop unfortunately :(

Looks like this "reliable source" needs to be named, evidence of the emails shown, or an apology made to spud.

I won't hold my breath.

This bitching and ###### is another reason people stay away from the club.

when i get home,on my laptop, i'll screenshot my email inbox...the club hasn't sent me a single email...

thats not what all this was about...

but it seems the smear campaign is in full swing now,the club is just too toxic... so im out till this club goes pop unfortunately :(

I certainly would not give up so easily spud, this sort of thing was bound to happen.

Clearly ORSA are completely sycophantic to CH, and maybe that is understandable. Possibly a fairly good thing, but questions need to be asked.

Worse aspect to this is the fact ORSA and cohorts chose to take out the man rather than go for the ball.

But I would wait till you have a consensus before offering deal or ideas, let them be refined gone through by the person that goes though these things with a fine tooth comb.

Clearly some have agendas about getting rid of CH, you have said not, for obvious reasons. But CH & ORSA are clearly going to be very anti as they know that some have the agenda. That is understandable too.

Its overcoming that. I know you have the clubs best interest at heart.

Don't let the buggers get you down at the first hurdle. If this thing is going to work, there will be much much tougher days ahead. It will be a long haul.

Lets not forget, CH was interested enough to offer dates and times. That is very important. There is a line of communication, keep it open, but don't let intermediaries distort. But be clear, it is so easy for msunderstandings to occur for no fault other than people are different and will look at the same thing from completely different perspectives.

I have been reading this thread with interest over the past few weeks, and have declined to comment until now.

Having known CH for many years, and having a good knowledge of how ORLFC operates, and the game itself, the problems are not unique to just ORLFC. The whole set of the professional game is against teams outside SL - and until that changes every club is flogging a dead horse.

Look at the facts. How can Oldham or any other club operate a healthy budget on the small amount of home games they will have this year? The exposure of SL in the media is poor at best, and is non-existant outside SL, how is that enticing for potential backers or sponsors? Introduce a fair P&R system throughtout the game, and you then might attract the backer that can take a team like Oldham/York etc into SL, where their return maybe a small one, if that, but it's more attractive than putting money into a bottomless pit.

The costs of ruuning a rugby league club, whether you pay the players or not isn't cheap - after being involved in a top amateur club I can see first hand the costs involved, but add the wages of staff etc, on the small gates Oldham get, it's not rocket science that the club is struggling. Why do you think the TAX issue comes up every so often, is the easiest bill not to pay as it buys you time. But it's also the most fatal, in that if you do not pay, it can end the club completely.

CH works very hard, and often very long hours. Why should he do this for free when he also has a mortgage to pay, bills to account for etc? Would you work the hours he did for nothing?

just looked through my emails dating back to the 20th feb,thats when ive asked for a chat with chris, i can't find any replies....ive even checked the spam folder and nothing there either....:(

he didn't offer dates or times though....

How do you know, you have not had the email!!!  Just kidding. Obviously allegedly. But you get my drift, there is a glimmer of hope. Don't get bogged down in semantics. Its the bigger picture here, the end game. There is an opportunity its should not be ignored. Make contact with CH-its the right thing to do.

i hope its just a simple mistake.....i hope the club did email me,as that shows a willingness to talk...but ive not received them :(

what the last few days has shown me though is theres far more hatred & vitriol surrounding the club than im prepared to take on my shoulders...but my idea is out in the public domain...ORSA have seen it,RO have seen it and no doubt CH has seen it by now....they can either run with it or they don't..

I have been reading this thread with interest over the past few weeks, and have declined to comment until now.

Having known CH for many years, and having a good knowledge of how ORLFC operates, and the game itself, the problems are not unique to just ORLFC. The whole set of the professional game is against teams outside SL - and until that changes every club is flogging a dead horse.

Look at the facts. How can Oldham or any other club operate a healthy budget on the small amount of home games they will have this year? The exposure of SL in the media is poor at best, and is non-existant outside SL, how is that enticing for potential backers or sponsors? Introduce a fair P&R system throughtout the game, and you then might attract the backer that can take a team like Oldham/York etc into SL, where their return maybe a small one, if that, but it's more attractive than putting money into a bottomless pit.

The costs of ruuning a rugby league club, whether you pay the players or not isn't cheap - after being involved in a top amateur club I can see first hand the costs involved, but add the wages of staff etc, on the small gates Oldham get, it's not rocket science that the club is struggling. Why do you think the TAX issue comes up every so often, is the easiest bill not to pay as it buys you time. But it's also the most fatal, in that if you do not pay, it can end the club completely.

CH works very hard, and often very long hours. Why should he do this for free when he also has a mortgage to pay, bills to account for etc? Would you work the hours he did for nothing?

A common sense post as usual from Oldhamer. My view, for what it's worth, is that any fund/trust should look at helping to fund the areas of the club that will help us speccies, not it's day to day running or as a means of taking over the club. For example a 'stand fund' that contribute towards the building of a stand. This money could be ring fenced so that it can't be used for other purposes.

From the complete mess the RFL have created with the confusing and ever changing player pathways, the abolishment of reserve grade rugby and the total disregard for the junior game, it's no wonder people are going away from this sport - finding something else to do instead.

My passion has always been Oldham RLFC, and have been involved on and off with the club for nearly 13 years. However, my enthusiasm for the sport at professional level has dropped to a point to which I am past caring. I am still involved heavily at grassroots level, and now with RU, and it amazes me how the RFL are trying to dismantle a succesfull setup the game has had from the ages of U7s to U9s, and totally revamp it into something the kids aren't even interested in playing. They do not listen to the people who have the knowledge, the coaches within the community. It's this 'not listening' and going full steam ahead into projects without looking at the consequences that continue to blight our game. The way the RFL conducts its' coaching courses, and the revalidation process is a prime example. Change something that isn't broke because you have got funding, and then once it is up and running, run out of funds, and then change it again to a system similar that they had prior to the funding. Bizzare. 

The game itself.

Yes they have the SL GF at a packed Old Trafford, but wasn't Old Trafford full when we had the Premiership double headers? But those were the days we had good gates in the Challenge Cup Semi Finals, not the Blue Square League crowds we get now for a devalued, yet prestigious cup competition. SL was created for the sole purpose to make the International game stronger, yet we are further behind than we have ever been. The same goes at club level. Look how the Roosters dismantled our SL Champions. Embarrasing.

To me before SL, the game was never broke. It just needed the change to summer rugby to make it work better for the pro game and the junior game. But to drop P&R for the the corupt franchise system that was in place, killed the sport we now have. They need P&R, but have introduced it in a formula that only a graduate with no real knowledge of the product can do. It's more complex than nuclear physics.  

The whole sport needs a shake up, 3 equal divisions, promotion and relegation of two up, two down. Bring back the Lancs and Yorks Cup, and limit the playing squads of only 3 non-british born players. The international game will be solved, as well as the interest at club level.

Its the Aussies national game when all is said and done, we are behind football and rugby yawnion...too much money going into superleague players pockets for the lower leagues to prosper!