Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChunkyOnion

Charlo gone

107 posts in this topic

1st and foremost, regardless of opinions on the team this year, charlo and oggy changed our club around, we went from a club at rock bottom and within 2 years we were playing in a playoff final, then gaining automatic promotion and having an outstanding year in the coaches 1st stab at championship rugby. Gary has done himself and the club proud and we should all be very thankful for him for what he has achieved.

Now for the future, and I hope we can get either a biggish name in who can attract some better players and possibly have overseas contacts or my 1st choice would have to be Paul Crarey.

Done a fine job getting us where we are now from the doldrums. . We have to remember that . But he's dead right , everyone has a shelf life and I do think we need a fresh , outside voice with new ideas and who can reinvigorate the players . We were looking a bit stale . New face to bring new plans .Cheers Charlo

Brought the club back to respectability with Oggy after the Rotherham debacle.

But why wait until after the first game of the season?

A very unselfish decision by Charlo, it takes a big man to acknowledge his own limitations. He deserves our sincere thanks for what he has achieved (and Oggy also) in taking the club forward and of course our best wishes for the future. He can leave with his head held high in the knowledge that he is leaving a better club than the one he took over.

Thanks for the last few years to both him and oggy, set us on the right path and if he has chosen to go then fair play to him. Now, cresta in next?

Thanks for the memories Gary, you can walk away with your head held high. We all remember the season before Charlo and Oggy took over, it was one of the worst I have witnessed in my 50 years supporting Town, those two put some local pride back into the club and with great backing from the BOD gave us a few good seasons to enjoy. A Grand final appearance and beating the dodgers 5 times in a season were among the highlights.

I suppose every coach has a shelf life and Gary must think he can't take us any further, it's just a pity that it's only one game into the season, It leaves us in a very difficult situation, I suppose the best time to call it a day would have been at the end of a season.

Good luck and all the best for the future marra. 

Thanks for your efforts and getting the club promoted and keeping us up! Everyone appreciates that. I think the time was right to move on though.

Now who? Crarey?

Thanks Charlo and Oggy for your efforts, getting us promoted and keeping us up.

Now who?

Let's hope we get the right man in to move us forward, the problem being that Charlo was one of the few part time coaches in our league and the club won't have budgeted to bring in anyone full time. Cresta would be ideal but I don't think he would take it, he turned down Barrow more than once.

Thanks to Charlo and Oggy for what they have done to turn our club around and between them they have left us a great legacy of local players that any incoming coach would be glad to have to work with.   I am pleased that it is Gary's own decision to stand down and he leaves with the best wishes of everyone connected with the club.    I suppose his thinking is that it will give an incoming coach more time to ensure we stay in the Championship and if that is so, then even more respect for him.

Thanks Charlo and all the best in the future.

Timing does look a bit odd , after one game . No real difference from the end of last season . One game has brought this on ? Still , we move on and I'm sure many guys will throw their hat in the ring - don't know Crareys situation , McCormack , Wilkinson , SL assistants ...

Timing does look a bit odd , after one game . No real difference from the end of last season . One game has brought this on ? Still , we move on and I'm sure many guys will throw their hat in the ring - don't know Crareys situation , McCormack , Wilkinson , SL assistants ...

Wilkinson is havens assistant isn't he?

Yes , but he brought through a generation at Leeds and coached 8 academy grand final wins !

But I'm just craicing there .

Thanks charlo all the best for the future. Crarey will be a good choice.

I think Steve McCormack must be favourite for the job if we are tying up with Wigan. He's currently on the coaching staff at Wigan looking after their scholarship lads.

It takes a big man to do what Gary has done, he has the best interests of the club at heart. I have a lot of respect for the way Gary & Martin picked the team up from nothing and with the support of a good BOD took us back to Rugby League respectability. Good luck for the future in what ever you decide to.

Had Charlo made his decision on Sunday?    Listening to Walshy on my way home he said Charlo had watched the game from the stand and he couldn't ever remember him doing that before although Oggy used to do it.    Whatever, I hope the players go out this weekend and play it for Charlo.

I think Steve McCormack must be favourite for the job if we are tying up with Wigan. He's currently on the coaching staff at Wigan looking after their scholarship lads.

SM not my preferred choice unless he is bringing players with him.

So Peter is in charge at present and maybe for Sunday ? If so I wonder if he'll play . And if he's kept on as asst coach