Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChunkyOnion

Charlo gone

107 posts in this topic

Or it might say a lot about what they can afford.

why what extravagance have we spalshed out on to skint us??? We havent got thacks or actons wages and travelling expenses or dowes wages to pay have we. Or calderwoods expenses & wages. I am not suggesting we are flushed but come on.

Locally Gary Murdock or Cresta

Otherwise Steve McCormack or Sean Long

My guess is McCormack but I'd love to see Long get the gig

You would hope well have someone in to take charge for Swinton in 11 days time.

Or it might say a lot about what they can afford.

Well it might be a long shot but,Paul deacon has been recommended to take up a coaching job to upgrade his potential to one day take over has Wigan coach.Now its not beyond the possibility that paul deacon could end up at workington town to fulfil is ambition to one day take the reigns at wigan,but another one who could do a good job for town is sean long,i realise he is a loose cannon but,that cannon when let loose can destroy the opposition and thats the cannon we have been missing for years.Finally we come to paul crarey,the two sessions that he had with town were so enlightling,the players were in awe of the fella.He is the kind of coach that lets the players express themselves but is quick to rectify any mistakes with them but in a school teacher manner,it was really nice to see a coach on the training field with so much poise but,so much quality and that is what has been lacking for a few years.I have got to big up charlo and oggie,they took on the job wiwth so much good intent and they certainly acheived it,i am not going to go through their what they have done for our club because town fans already know.I have known martin for a lot of years,has a player and a coach and charlo nots so many but i have got to thank them for their loyalty to our club and to us fans and i wish them both all the best for the future in whatever they pursue.Cheers lads.

Well I would imagine that some of the signings last season were brought in I the assumption that gates went up and then that failed to materialise. For that mind I would say we probably have a similar budget to the year before only difference being the younger players from that squad would want more when they re-signed which has taken up the extra budget. I can't remember who we had that season but can't remember anyone other than Thackray really.

Darren Holt wouldn't be a bad choice, I thought he did a magnificent job at Barrow last year with a poorer squad than ours. I couldn't believe it when Barrow sacked him, even more so after he had been diagnosed with cancer, does anyone know how he is doing ? 

Charlo has done a cracking job for town in his time there,at times he maybe hasn't got everything right but which coach does,certainly leaves you in a better place.Surprised no one has mentioned Rob Purdham, already in the Wigan Scouting set up, Usually coaches like this fresh out of the playing role make decent coaches, also being local would not cost the earth,and would have decent SL links with up coming players

Charlo has done a cracking job for town in his time there,at times he maybe hasn't got everything right but which coach does,certainly leaves you in a better place.Surprised no one has mentioned Rob Purdham, already in the Wigan Scouting set up, Usually coaches like this fresh out of the playing role make decent coaches, also being local would not cost the earth,and would have decent SL links with up coming players

purdham and cresta would be interesting!

What about Luppy?

this is one I think is a real possibility but one we should avoid. We need fresh ideas and someone with good connections. I personally think promotion from within is the wrong way to go.

Whoever we appoint we must get behind them 100%, would like to see someone completely knew to the club, just for fresh ideas really, although I think we could see Luppys input to the team on Sunday the way we passed the ball about more, I just cant understand why Charlo has waited to the 1st game off the season to stand down, why then? 

good luck to charlo done a great job up there after rotherham. youre welcome back at haven marra

Lupton @ DOWES we already pay LUPTON both would do a good job and local????

thats no reason to give anyone the job. If he's the best candidate fair enough, but to give him it on the basis that we already pay him is crazy.

thats no reason to give anyone the job. If he's the best candidate fair enough, but to give him it on the basis that we already pay him is crazy.

Agree!

Plus from what i understood last year Dowes was good at telling people what they should be doing but not doing it himself. If other players think that about a team mate what will they think if he's their coach?

this is one I think is a real possibility but one we should avoid. We need fresh ideas and someone with good connections. I personally think promotion from within is the wrong way to go.

I agree wonky. Fresh ideas and connections are essential if we are gonna stay in this league. Anything less suggests we are resigned to the drop or are balancing the books IMO

Agreed . Best candidate that applies and ticks the boxes that we can push the boat out for . This is massive . This decision can't be overestimated in its importance for our club - he's cheap and local aint doing it now with the stakes we're playing for. We need a new face who can get respect from the players and who has the fresh ideas to squeeze out everything he can from our squad . If we can't improve it numerically , we need a good coach who can improve it tactically , structurally and in basic skill sets .And there's a fair bit of improvement on that side for someone to bring out .

Dowes is moving back to Yorkshire he wont be local

What about Gary Chambers? The guy worked miracles at Swinton and has coached the GB academy team etc

Dowes is moving back to Yorkshire he wont be local

What about Gary Chambers? The guy worked miracles at Swinton and has coached the GB academy team etc

lives and works in warrington doesn,t he so does his wife

I don't think we'll appoint his wife . Still , everyone else is in the mix !!!