Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DavidM

Bobbie Goulding

55 posts in this topic

That's a reason not to give it to someone ... It's not a change is it ? We need new and fresh and a new reinvigorating challenge for the players

Butch does 90 percent of the coaching, i would like to see him and peter lupton giving a go ?????

board have said there looking for someone with experience to hit the ground running. That should really knock anyone within the club out of the running.

No disrespect to any coaches within the club or local amatuer coaches but at this moment in time town need someone experienced and with possible connections out of the county.

I would like to see Gary Chambers appointed if he's interested - he ended up doing a good job at Swinton last season by keeping them in Championship.

I say go for Bobby G, I think we now need to start doing what most clubs are doing, we have kept the purse strings tight for the last few years and not spent money we haven't got ( and well done to all), but if and I say if we don't stay up this year I really feel we will be finished, attendances will be down to a couple of hundred, better players gone, no chance of bringing in good travellers ( who would come up here for peanuts) we would struggle to even sign local amateurs. We now need to gamble a little, some people will disagree I know and I have said on a earlier post about panicking, but what do we have to loose.

I await to be shot down   :ph34r:

It's a good job for anyone . Sure there'll be quite a few names interested . Whenever a vacancy comes up there always is . Finding funds to secure one is the key bit .We have a limited squad in quality and quantity , so the right appointment can make up that a fair bit . This is big .

Finding funds David, you have hit the nail on the head. Even local coaches like charlo and oggy were on decent money.

Bobbie is a fantastic bloke an coach and anyone been coached by him all say the same, it's just his past reputation people remember when jobs come up, the bloke has been off the ale for over 12 months, definitely worth a shot.

That's a reason not to give it to someone ... It's not a change is it ? We need new and fresh and a new reinvigorating challenge for the players

I'd like to see how Butch gets on as caretaker though , he did brilliantly last time and the rugby was great to watch.

I think you should be careful talking about sacking coaches after what town did to Stokes

Shoot me down but i support the fact that something had to be done , the guy just wouldn't take a hint and was dragging the club down.

I'd like to see how Butch gets on as caretaker though , he did brilliantly last time and the rugby was great to watch.

butch and Ashe done a great job, but we need new ideas and only a new coach will bring that. Some of our rugby is awful at times, just 1 man hit ups and it has to change to stand a chance this year. New coach, new ideas is the only way we will survive.

butch and Ashe done a great job, but we need new ideas and only a new coach will bring that. Some of our rugby is awful at times, just 1 man hit ups and it has to change to stand a chance this year. New coach, new ideas is the only way we will survive.

What i meant was Butch's style of rugby was so much different from the rugby played under his head coach and i'll be interested to see if he can do it again until a new coach is appointed.

A coach from away doesn't always guarantee success, just look at Whitehaven.

to be fair woods is a good coach.

Not saying otherwise. Just don't think he's pulled up any trees at haven for the sort of money he'll be on.

You have to get the balance right. A good coach can get more out of an average player and also develop a game plan to play to the strengths of the team, rather than trying to build a team round a couple of star players which is what we appear to have done in the past.

At this moment in time, I feel we need an experienced coach who can develop the individual skill levels of the players to create a more solid unit defensively.

But that said, whoever comes in will only have the present squad of players to work with, and we all recognise that as good as some of these players are, we are short of strength in depth all over the park.

In short, GOOD LUCK to whoever the successful applicant is, as they will need it!

A coach from away doesn't always guarantee success, just look at Whitehaven.

agreed but there is more chance of a coach from away having contacts as we are atleast 2-3 forwards short of competing in this league this season. We all knew it pre season on here and sunday confirmed it. We just couldn't get out of our own half and Young callum can't express his talent playing behind a pack lacking go forward.

We knew all this for months as you say , but we just seem to have sleep - walked into the season with our fingers crossed and hoped for the best . We put a sticking plaster over a big gash and I'm afraid it was self evident it wasn't gonna work . Even standing still it was going to be a massive ask with clubs strengthening and the new threshold - but in the key area in any team , and especially us with our structures , which is up the guts we've regressed , and that means double trouble as we haven't got the muscle to get consistently on the front foot , from where games are won . I worry for Sunday if I'm honest .

We knew all this for months as you say , but we just seem to have sleep - walked into the season with our fingers crossed and hoped for the best . We put a sticking plaster over a big gash and I'm afraid it was self evident it wasn't gonna work . Even standing still it was going to be a massive ask with clubs strengthening and the new threshold - but in the key area in any team , and especially us with our structures , which is up the guts we've regressed , and that means double trouble as we haven't got the muscle to get consistently on the front foot , from where games are won . I worry for Sunday if I'm honest .

yes I agree david. Also due to the lack of go forward it took us nearly 19 minutes to get into donnys half and it stifled our tactical kicking. No disrespect to donny but we will be up against better packs. We need to beat teams around us at home and not dominated like sunday. If theres no money for anymore signings then fair enough but just inform the fans of that. The BOD aren't magicians who can make appear out of thin air.

Karl Connor a Copeland councillor is trying to go a year without drink and he has started a blog for people to follow him.    He was inspired by Bobbie Goulding giving an after dinner speech at Egremont Rugby club and thought he would try it and he was also inspired by the forthcoming birth of a daughter in May.    

I've been reading his blog and in particular this one -  http://ayearinsobriety.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/the-first-five-days/  - and what he says about Bobbie Goulding and the support he has given Karl.   Bobbie didn't have to do that and it shows the measure of the man. 

His lad was impressive here to , had it on a string off the boot . He would fill a hole nicely here as well as his old man .