Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Copa

The team with the highest tv ratings...

31 posts in this topic

PNG Hunters.

Predicting atleast 2 million viewers per game in the Queensland Cup. Amazing. This is a great article about the introduction of this new team and how huge this is in PNG.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl/journalist-chris-garry-and-photographer-adam-head-bunk-down-with-the-png-hunters/story-fndujljl-1226834834360

Edited by Copa

Brillliant article... :D

Come on PNG!! Get them Aussies stuffed...  :D

Is this the sort of tv coverage French teams have to bring to enter a UK league....? If only they could.

Fascinating stuff.

Quite amazing that league can be banned in the schools in the only country in the world where is the national sport!

Fascinating insight and lets us know more about why png have been punching well below their weight! Hopefully the hunters and what they bring in organisation etc will flow onto the national side. A competitive png will be a massive boost to international rugby league, absolutely critical and could be a tipping point if we could bring France and Wales along at the same time

I agree entirely.

If we do this right the 2017 World Cup could be the one that firmly establishes us as the football code in the pacific. Bear in mind that png has by some distance the second largest population in the region.

If we play games in Fiji, Samoa and the Cook Islands we'll have the region covered.

I fear for the Notthern hemisphere though. If Toulouse don't come on board and succeed, and we continue to haemorrhage talent to the Dark Side (with everyone's best wishes, natch), then you couldn't blame the Aussies for concentrating their efforts on their own continent. Where the future looks bright.

To compare and contrast -

In the north - our World Cup poster boy gets Panfaced and ditches us, Wigan are swatted aside by a politely disinterested Roosters. Fewer than 1500 watch London's slow slide into final oblivion.

In the south - the 9s show case the appetite for our game and the breath taking stength in depth in talent in the region. The Roosters effortlessly swat Wigan aside to confirm the gulf between the 2 competitons. The World Cup launch shows a scale of ambition previously unknown in our game, and a pathway for regional dominance.

It's been a terrible week for those stuck in the Notthern hemisphere.

I agree with parts of that ew but wc launch? I must have missed that to be honest

I meant the WC announcement. I assumed there was a launch as it made the BBC web site, and I have read some very tantalising press releases.

PNG Hunters.

Predicting atleast 2 million viewers per game in the Queensland Cup. Amazing. This is a great article about the introduction of this new team and how huge this is in PNG.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl/journalist-chris-garry-and-photographer-adam-head-bunk-down-with-the-png-hunters/story-fndujljl-1226834834360

Reading this makes you wonder where PNG would be now had  the game been properly administered for the last 20 years.

Sound familiar ?

PNG Hunters.

This is really exciting stuff - okay, it should have been done years ago, but you can't change the past.

Hunters :

The Photographers  surname is Head

The Footy Gods have a sense of humor.

It's an amazing , somewhat Eastern Block Communist 1970's model without the Syringes.

I admire them for it.

Edited by mt smart

Fantastic article.

Th almost military style of life means that they will be a band of brothers in every sense of the word. All men paid equally will remove any prima donna posturing or petty jealousy.

I can't wait to see how the future develops for them. Well, I hope.

Fantastic! If there's one team that deserves success this year, it is the Hunters. 

interesting stuff and managed to beat the fancied team, brilliant for the sport. 

If that was in uk then fans would want P and R to rid the league of foreign teams who are taking a small villages place!

Edited by yipyee

What are the chances of PNG becoming number 3 instead of England now the sport has got some leadership in the country?

It wouldn't be a bad thing if it happened imo, more teams competing at the top, the better, even if England suffer because of it. Although it would be good if the convicts were spanked more often!

http://www.pnghunters.com/

Great supportive rock video where the team of guys like hitman and sniper run around looking super fit .. till the whole team walks out into the sea to apparently drown.

All seriousness though, this is how they should create national teams in smaller or developing nations. Doing exactly what PNG are doing with the Hunters. Imagine a Welsh or South African version. 

They seem to play some pretty decent football

http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2015/06/09/highlights_rd13_png_.html

Apparently they are on a 7 run winning streak equal 4th 2 points out of first. I wonder what would happen should they out grow Queeensland cup (by outgrow I mean over dominate it) since they are one of the only Rugby League clubs where players live in a rugby league compound and train 3 times a day. You would think that would give them a significant advantage over Queensland cup sides. It will be very interesting to see how they go in a few years time with this sort of full on training.