Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scott

Team and predictions for Swinton

121 posts in this topic

Might as well put carter at loose and coward at full back then

why do you slag off every decision made by the club.

Wouldn't have thought it would be the clubs decision? And if you care to check back through my posts I spend most of my time defending the club.

Best of luck to the lads today a win would be a real boost. It won't be an easy game so lets get behind them. UTT!!

Then of course we had the best of all Danny Wilson who was sublime. ..

Funnily enough so did we for a short while....

anybody herd how pitch is after all the rain last night

Dont know what its like but game is definitely on

Today's team

Tierney

Murphy

Connor

Mossop

Carter

Forber

C.Phillips

Coward

Matty

Shacks

Mcavoy

Stack

Olstrom

Lupton

Rooney

Rowlandson

Lever

Chris Riley and Brad Dwyer playing from wire for the lions

Painful watching this. 18-6 up against 12 men and they haven't got a single solitary clue what to do with the ball in hand. Coach might have changed bit doesn't look like the coaching has

Awful day for rugby but where's the game management and control of the team . Big lead , 12 men , all the elements in our favour and yet we're barging up the middle and dropping it in our own 40 ,passing slowly and dreadfully to players standing still and running round in circles . Where's Forber ? Where's Lupton ? Get a grip , get it belted down the pitch and strangle a poor , depleted side . We looked rudderless and clueless about what to do . God , they'll be doing handstands after that , they got a point ! 2-0 with a gale against 12 men and tons of ball . Vital win , but two teams there who are meeting in champ one next year on that .. Big plus , Mcavoy- brutal defence and great runs.

Thought mcavoy had a massive game in defence, I'd have give him man of the match

He banjo'd them over n over again . Defence improved but so much for the new coach to work on ball in hand and getting our pivots to run the game and work out what to do in different situations . So often you're looking to see who's controlling out there . I never knew Forber was there till near the end

Mcavoy, rooney and Callum were outstanding in defence. Attacking we were woeful, but the conditions were horrendous and to get any win in that is a massive plus. New coach needed ASAP. Not sure how Murphy and lever deserve to play over haney and the likes of duerden

And a tough game for Hewer which I thought he handled well . Could have got out of control but he did fine considering everything

We have to give big credit for the win in bad conditions.however its a little disappointing swinton got a BP. we could have been a bit more clever with ball in hand in bad conditions

And a tough game for Hewer which I thought he handled well . Could have got out of control but he did fine considering everything

totally agree about hewer, can't remember him making a bad call especially with Swinton being the dirty bastards that they are.

Not easy out there, the players soaking wet, freezing cold and knackered, I think we done well, no teams would have scored points in those conditions 2nd half, I also thought Gareth Hewer handled the game well, not easy when you can't distinguish one player from another. MOM for me was McAvoy or Callum Phillips. But I do like the look of Tierney, Town will get better when the pitches get a firmer.

First things first, a big well done to all the players of both sides for playing through monsoon conditions with a strong cold wind as well.    It's a wonder we didn't have a case of hypothermia to deal with.   And I include the 3 officials in that as it can't have been pleasant for them and having to concentrate on the game.

The penalty count for the game must have finished around 30 - 40 and with the constant knock-ons by both sides it was never going to be a big score for anyone.    Town played some clever rugby in the first half and deserved their 3 tries and a 16 - 6 lead at half-time.   Swinton seemed as if they were determined to out muscle us up front but more often than not they came off second best.    Ian Watson showed us how to use the wind to good effect with 2 x 40 - 20's and I expected us to do the same in the second half.

Sadly, with the conditions worsening all the time we reverted to up the middle rugby, that is when we could hang on to the ball.   Swinton had a man sin-binned and then shortly after were down to 12 when another was red carded.    We were in possession in their half and still tried to go up the middle.  Where was the on-field leader?     Also in the first half we once again turned down a fairly easy kick at goal just wide of the posts and then we take one from 40 odd yards in the second half when everyone was wanting us to get in to their 20 and try and prevent them getting a bonus point.  

I think most people will make allowances for the conditions today but many of us left thinking for the third game running we have had a fairly good first half let down by a poor second half performance.    Crowd was better than I though it might be at 663. 

David M what are you on about you didn't know Forber was on the field till near the end .What about his couple of little half breaks in the first half

his quality kick about forty yards out and ten in from touch in them conditions. Some good ball to his forwards trying to build but couldn't in them

conditions with forwards dropping the ball players couldn't tell who was who in them conditions. His tackling in them conditions was very good

what about his interception off his own line got us back up to the half way line thought he would have gone full length only threw Penny catching him

whos no slouch and got plenty of pace. Thought Forber and Philips played well together in bad conditions the other losses you seem to say we can build on this we can build on that but as soon as Forbers on the field you seem to ridicule him and never give credit were its due when he does good things. All in all a win is a win in bad conditions don't think its the halves in Philips,Lupton,or Forber thats the problem or the back line. Need to be looking at the pack .Need a coach that can put structure in to the team and that knows how to get the best out of every single player.How do you know the players weren't told to play safe in the last thirty minutes.

Not easy out there, the players soaking wet, freezing cold and knackered, I think we done well, no teams would have scored points in those conditions 2nd half

Apart from the 2 bombed tries we should've had.....one where Matty went blind and without looking outside grubbered it through when he had Carter coming up free outside him, and that unbelievably dumb pass by Tierney where he just floated a ball to the winger so that the strong wind at his back took it miles forward. Tierney does some really good stuff but he has some really stupid stuff to cut out if he has his eyes on a first team spot at Wigan

David M what are you on about you didn't know Forber was on the field till near the end .What about his couple of little half breaks in the first half

his quality kick about forty yards out and ten in from touch in them conditions. Some good ball to his forwards trying to build but couldn't in them

conditions with forwards dropping the ball players couldn't tell who was who in them conditions. His tackling in them conditions was very good

what about his interception off his own line got us back up to the half way line thought he would have gone full length only threw Penny catching him

whos no slouch and got plenty of pace. Thought Forber and Philips played well together in bad conditions the other losses you seem to say we can build on this we can build on that but as soon as Forbers on the field you seem to ridicule him and never give credit were its due when he does good things. All in all a win is a win in bad conditions don't think its the halves in Philips,Lupton,or Forber thats the problem or the back line. Need to be looking at the pack .Need a coach that can put structure in to the team and that knows how to get the best out of every single player.How do you know the players weren't told to play safe in the last thirty minutes.

you missed out when he missed touch in the 1st half off a penalty or the quite awful kicks through on the last tackle early on as well. Our kicks in general were poor. Personally think we're a half short to play off Callum.

He has something that kid Tierney .Hope we have him here on firmer decks , he can scythe through I bet .

If Luptons getting dropped for him he may as well retire and concentrate on coaching . Again it was strange to see Forber and Callum taking penalties and goal line drop outs with Connor out there ?

Barrow doesn't look so easy after today either ! What a result