Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Doug

Challenge Cup 3rd Round Draw

22 posts in this topic

Batley v Kells
British Army v Doncaster
Dewsbury v West Hull
Egremont v Oldham
Hull Dockers v Halifax
Hunslet v Oxford
Keighley v Wath Brow
Milford Marlins v Barrow
Normanton v Workington
North Wales v Pilkington Recs
Rochdale v Gloucestershire All Golds
Sheffield v East Leeds
South Wales v Hemel
Swinton v Gateshead
Wigan St Pats v Leigh
York v Whitehaven

Games will be played on the weekend of March 15/16

There are some great games in the draw. Its just a pity that there are not more games with the Conference sides at home.

Egremont are my favourites for an upset but Normanton could do well. I might fancy Wath Brow if they were at home.

Kells

Egremont

Wath brow

Pilks

Are all interesting games with possibilities of upsets although as said above would be better with conference sides at home. For me though the tie of the round is pats v Leigh even though there's probably no chance of a giant killing.

Only one I reckon is egremont v oldham, wath brow have only just scraped thro against 2 lower teams no disrespect but not as good as there once was good luck to all teams

Yeah they are a fading force,average age of the team is around 23,played 2 decent teams in awful conditions without any friendlies.We do however lack any mercenaries who travel from club to club looking for a better pay packet,an advantage some hull teams have over us.

Getting back to the theme of the post,I don't think the Brow have a chance of turning keighley over on their own patch even if the fullback learns to pass!!

It's just my opinion same for west hull they've played oulton Leigh miners and thatto won all wiv no friendlys the big team in Cumbria is kells at the min who I'd say would beat both wath brow and egremont

Notice all the lowest ranked championship 1 sides haven't drawn any of the top ncl sides, Gateshead Gloucester, Oxford and Hemel. I think this probably prevents any upsets but agree that egremont probably have the best chance as their at home, ie in Cumbria not on their own pitch.

Is the draw deliberately set out so that these low teams avoid the strongest ncl sides? Looking at it I'd think so!

Is it by chance that the strongest ncl sides all draw the strongest championship sides, Batley v Kells, dewsbury v west hull, dockers v Halifax, keighley v wath brow, Sheffield v east Leeds, st pats v Leigh?

Wouldn't want half a dozen upsets by 'amateur' opposition now would we?

How are kells the big team in Cumbria?? Wath brow have been right at the top of the premier for along time now, they play in a league were every game is tough, I'm not bad mouthing kells because I think they are a good team but, they won a very poor league last season, granted they have turned over some big teams over at there own ground, but you can't say that makes them better than wath

I hope the supporters from Pilk Recs enjoy their visit to North Wales. Its not so far to travel and on decent roads too. Crusaders supporters usually meet in the Turf Holet on Mold Road, right outside the stadium, before and after the game. You be sure to receive a warm welcome from our fans.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Think the draw has fix wrote all over it! Why couldn't all semi-pro clubs be in the hat to be chosen to join the amateur side of the draw instead of just championship 1 clubs.... Basically don't want any upsets!! Shame for most amateur clubs who would push Hemel, Gloucester, Oxford, ect

When you say most amateur clubs , how many would you say IMO the cc should be seeded a little better . The top 10 amateur clubs should be in a draw with all champs 1 clubs . The next round should include championship clubs , I remember the days when only county cup winners were entered

When you say most amateur clubs , how many would you say IMO the cc should be seeded a little better . The top 10 amateur clubs should be in a draw with all champs 1 clubs . The next round should include championship clubs , I remember the days when only county cup winners were entered

I remember the days when the county cups were a worthy competition, the lancs cup became a farce.

Yeh me to , it's a crying shame to see a great competition lose its credibility

It went downhill once the ncl 1st teams were pulled from the comp, became a competition that only perhaps 3, 4 maybe 5 nwc teams could win. From then on more and more teams withdrew from entering. The national barla cup gone same way. Somewhere along the line some decisions have been made by so called important people at the top, they've been detrimental decisions to the game for me, yet no one being left accountable.

I'm sure there's good reason, but its a shame to see St Pats v Leigh clashing on the Friday with Wigan v Hull KR, would imagine quite a fair few Wigan fans would have taken in both games that weekend given the chance.

A few factors Shrek the notable two are

1/ St Pats are hiring the LSV and their is a wedding on the Saturday so no games can take place

2/ Swinton also use the LSV and got a home draw so they had first dibs on the Sunday

Price are £10 Adults, £3 concessions and all under 16's £1

Hopefully we can get a good few Leigh supporters turning out for the game and hope a mass of kids get out to watch, for a £1 its a bargain

Notice all the lowest ranked championship 1 sides haven't drawn any of the top ncl sides, Gateshead Gloucester, Oxford and Hemel. I think this probably prevents any upsets but agree that egremont probably have the best chance as their at home, ie in Cumbria not on their own pitch.

Is the draw deliberately set out so that these low teams avoid the strongest ncl sides? Looking at it I'd think so!

Is it by chance that the strongest ncl sides all draw the strongest championship sides, Batley v Kells, dewsbury v west hull, dockers v Halifax, keighley v wath brow, Sheffield v east Leeds, st pats v Leigh?

Wouldn't want half a dozen upsets by 'amateur' opposition now would we?

It's also a bad draw for many Championship 1 sides. A draw against an NCL side might lead to a win and an appearance in the 4th round with the potential of a money spinner against SL opposition, just as big for many of those sides as for NCL teams. The way the draw has "fallen" means they've little chance of progressing. 

A completely open draw would be far better.