Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JM2010

Ideas for International game

63 posts in this topic

Completely agree, although it was Italy and the USA who were the only qualifiers last time around. Only the hosts and England should get automatic qualification for 2017 for me, so that would be England, Aus, NZ and PNG with automatic qualification and a further ten spots up for grabs. We need to go down the regional qualifying route as well now, as we have enough teams to do it: European, Africa/ME, Americas, Asia-Pacific. I'd be just as interested in watching that, as the 2017 tournament itself.

Not a big point but I thought the Cooks qualified by winning the pacific nations Cup.

I think that Jamaica should create a West Indies team like Cricket.

I am not sure any other West Indian nations play RL but the travelling costs would be a real burden.

I am not sure any other West Indian nations play RL but the travelling costs would be a real burden.

It would be a good opportunity to enlarge RL to other West Indies countries/regions.  And the reason of my addiction to West Indies is that I want to see a Federal Republic of West Indies.

They did that originally, then moved away from that model.

They did that originally, then moved away from that model.

Because RL did not expand to outside Jamaica?

Not a big point but I thought the Cooks qualified by winning the pacific nations Cup.

No, PNG won the Pacific Cup, but that only guaranteed them a place in the 2010 4N. It was the 10 teams from 2008, plus Wales and CIs who were automatically selected and then two teams came through qualifiers. 

No they shouldn't. What's wrong with playing as Jamaica? They're the only ones doing any development anyway. There is a T&T federation, but I'm still waiting to hear anything from them. 

No they shouldn't. What's wrong with playing as Jamaica? They're the only ones doing any development anyway. There is a T&T federation, but I'm still waiting to hear anything from them. 

My addiction to West Indies has to do with politics more than sports.  I believe that West Indies countries/regions must create a single Federal Republic.  But probably here is not an appropriate place for this discussion.

Because RL did not expand to outside Jamaica?

More likely because they wanted a stronger identity within Jamaica.

sigesige00 posts nonsense on these boards regularly.  I do not know why he is permitted to stay, but it is better not to encourage him.

No, PNG won the Pacific Cup, but that only guaranteed them a place in the 2010 4N. It was the 10 teams from 2008, plus Wales and CIs who were automatically selected and then two teams came through qualifiers.

You are correct. The Cooks beat Samoa and Fiji to get to the final of the 2009 Pacific Cup where they lost to PNG. They were also very competitive in the WC last year. They have reason to be proud of their team. The women are tough too, dancing in bare feet and grass skirts at Bristol was a profile in courage.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-02-23/rugby-league-world-cup-expanded/340994

The WC was always arranged to only have 2 qualifiers as the link above shows, I assume based on the costs of the 2008 qualifiers which were fairly extensive. The 10 teams from 2008 all took part, but the criteria for the other 2 was never really set out until Wales and the Cooks were announced as the 2 other automatic selections.

Interesting to see that Lebanon were hoping to be the 12th team, but as we know it was given to the Cooks. I wonder what the RLIF would've done if Lebanon had made the final of the 2009 European Cup. If they had been runners up, they would've been in exactly the same position as the Cooks.

A "talk shop" is a place where people talk and nothing actually happens. We have had a relatively successful RLWC. The profits from which will be spent on having an actual bricks and mortar location . For the first time . If the NRL can be dissuaded from making it a "talk shop" there might somehow be a possibility that International Rugby League can exist that suits their parochial agenda.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-02-23/rugby-league-world-cup-expanded/340994

The WC was always arranged to only have 2 qualifiers as the link above shows, I assume based on the costs of the 2008 qualifiers which were fairly extensive. The 10 teams from 2008 all took part, but the criteria for the other 2 was never really set out until Wales and the Cooks were announced as the 2 other automatic selections.

Interesting to see that Lebanon were hoping to be the 12th team, but as we know it was given to the Cooks. I wonder what the RLIF would've done if Lebanon had made the final of the 2009 European Cup. If they had been runners up, they would've been in exactly the same position as the Cooks.

Interesting why the costs were deemed too 'high', anyone know how much they spent? It's a shame they have so many auto qualifiers, because part of the excitement of a WC, is qualifying and earning your place there. Hopefully the amount of qualifiers isn't over 50% next time around. I'd like to see Lebanon qualify for 2017, they've been unlucky the last two times and it will help open up RL to the Middle Eastern and Arabic market, with Al Jazzera and other broadcasters. The next qualifying tournament could possibly be the biggest ever, with nations like Canada, Malta, Greece, Spain, Ukraine, Latvia, Ghana, Bosnia etc now eligible to enter the qualifiers based on the criteria. 

Interesting why the costs were deemed too 'high', anyone know how much they spent? It's a shame they have so many auto qualifiers, because part of the excitement of a WC, is qualifying and earning your place there. Hopefully the amount of qualifiers isn't over 50% next time around. 

My point on the costs involved in staging qualifiers was purely an assumption on my part. I've tried looking for anything that might back my point up, but drawn a blank. None of the reports about the 2013 qualification even raised the issue of why most of teams were automatically qualified. 

Looking through the 2011 and 2012 RLIF Annual Reports though it shows that between 2010 and 2012 some AU$600,898 (about £332,000) was spent on 2013 WC Qualifiers. That was basically just 9 matches. 2008 qualification had 24 matches. 

I saw this: "And here’s the biggie: he is also concerned at rumours that only full member nations will be allowed to compete in qualifiers for the 2017 World Cup – which would effectively mean Italy and the US being booted out of the tournament." http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/arl-commission-should-leave-rep-footy-to-the-nrl-20140508-zr68s.html

That would be awful and would rule out Canada, USA, Italy, Greece, Ghana, Spain etc meanwhile nations with poor development like Ireland and SA that are listed as 'full members' would be allowed to compete. 

EDIT: Along the lines of that article "The Tomahawks are run by the AMNRL. The rival USARL is understood to have applied for membership to the RLIF. If this is granted, Johnson fears all the good work done putting together the side that made the quarter-finals of the World Cup will be lost." That would be a good thing actually, the first thing they should do is give actual Americans a call up to the national team. 

Interesting article. Hopefully that's just a rumour about the qualifiers. If I've got this right, there are 18 full members of the RLIF, and if we work on the basis of the RLWC having 14 teams again, 4 teams would miss out. Considering South Africa, Russia, Ukraine and Serbia are full members, I'd say its fairly likely they'd miss out. Jamaica and Lebanon would doubtless qualify simply because of the amount of heritage players they have, and the rest would be the same as last year (except Italy and US). 

Disappointing to read about the decision on RLIF funding has been delayed again and the Samoa v US game has been cancelled. This is why the Celtic nations haven't got anything lined up yet either. Presumably Nigel Wood and Dave Smith were too busy congratulating each other on their appointments to make any actual decisions at the recent RLIF meeting. 

Yeah I can understand their point, as they have to come up against teams full of heritage players, but going only to full member nations won't stop nations like Lebanon, Jamaica, Ireland, Tonga, Samoa, CIs etc filling their teams with heritage players from the SL and NRL. There needs to be a limit on the amount of heritage players used, as I think nations would stronger domestic competitions need to be rewarded, rather than just picking full members, many of whom are quite suspect given their domestic competitions and lack of development. That said nations like the Czech Republic, Greece, Ghana and the USA (USARL rather than AMNRL) would be quite closer to obtaining full membership, so maybe they should wait until 2016 before announcing the qualifiers, if they're going to just have full members. 

Something needs to be done so that nations who aren't able to roll out a load of Aussies/Kiwis/Englishmen every 4 years and actually put in the hard yards of developing their own are actually rewarded for their efforts. I'd go with the full member nation idea for the RLWC if they were planning some sort of parallel tournament for the affiliate and associate nations. 

Reading this weeks League Express there's an interview with Nigel Wood that pretty much confirms that only full members will play in 2017, and that 8 teams will probably automatically qualify, most likely the quarter finalists from last year. The only problem with that would be the US. Some other interesting comments about a possible World Nines next year as well.

If the RLIF is serious about International Rugby League they must abandon the notion that "heritage" players in any way give credulity to it.

Reading this weeks League Express there's an interview with Nigel Wood that pretty much confirms that only full members will play in 2017, and that 8 teams will probably automatically qualify, most likely the quarter finalists from last year. The only problem with that would be the US. Some other interesting comments about a possible World Nines next year as well.

So that would be 9 teams then if you include PNG, far too many for a 14 team tournament. It's a shame they've changed the rules now there are more affiliate members, I'm guessing they don't want to pay for anything then. Are they going to start picking which full members can enter in the next one? What are they going to do about the USA: either grant the USARL membership or have no USA in the WCQ? A massive market to not have representing you in a WC. I don't think we can call it a 'World' cup if we're just going to have teams from two regions. 

Wood did say when asked about the US that they could always apply for full membership. Otherwise, they won't be in. You'd like to think they'd just go with 7 automatic qualifiers, but they'd probably change the rules so they had 8 auto qualifiers regardless - most likely hand picking PNG. 

He also said that 14 teams were locked in for 2017 because of TV contracts etc., but expansion may occur in 2021. 

The AMNRL aren't eligible for full membership based on the criteria, but the USARL would be. It depends who they decide to choose, I hope they don't just pick the AMNRL because 'they were there first'. The AMNRL aren't even affiliate members, so they should never have been allowed in the WCQ on that basis. 

Selling the 2017 TV rights already is one of the stupidest ever moves. That means the likes of the USA won't be able to watch the tournament again. #####ing joke!