Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LittleDevil

Are Salford Contenders?

47 posts in this topic

I would say deffo a top 8 finish...

The play -offs depend on whos fit for Salford and your rivals...

I think making the GF is too far for them this year though!

If they get a lucky CC draw though who knows?

How many people on here do you think have seen any Salford games this season?

We've seen highlights. We've seen the results. Not overly impressed or convinced they'll be anything more than mid table this season, like us.

My original question was asking if people considered salford contenders? Not if they had been impressed with salford in the first 2 league games?? Obviously we are only 2 league games in, so people would be basing it on the current squad on paper.

Can't see Salford being contenders this year but if MK stays true to his word it'll only be a matter of time(2-3) before Salford are considered genuine super league contenders.

They'll make top 8 this year, I'm certain. They may even sneak top 4. Grand Final, though? Not this time around (although I'd be really pleased if they did get there!)

I'm personally glad to see Salford fans getting a little bit excited; God knows they've put up with some tosh down the years.

Having said that, there's a long way to go before we start worrying about the runners and riders. The first two fixtures have been hand-picked for Salford; now they get a real test against Saints.

I can't see us being a contender this season!

I'm confident we will make the Play Offs and from then on you never know but it would be extremely difficult, with Play Off rugby you need players that have been there and done it and despite our recruitment in the pre season we have got talent but only a few players in the squad have experienced Play Off football regularly in their careers.

Completely rebuilding a squad has it's disadvantages as well as advantages, but I expect us to win more than we lose this season (for a change!) I can see us competing on all fronts from 2015.

No!!!

Hanging on against wakey at home is a good indication.

I'am interested in Thursday's game against St Helens though, that will give us all a greater understanding of how far Salford have come.

My original question was asking if people considered salford contenders? Not if they had been impressed with salford in the first 2 league games?? Obviously we are only 2 league games in, so people would be basing it on the current squad on paper.

Hang on, a second ago we had to watch them. Now it's on paper? Make you're mind up.

I'm pretty sure you're clever enough to work out the by me not being impressed, I don't consider them contenders. Sorry if that upsets you, but it seems you came on here looking for a load of Salford hype and haven't gotten what you wanted or expected. I think you should get used to that feeling.

No!!!

Hanging on against wakey at home is a good indication.

I'am interested in Thursday's game against St Helens though, that will give us all a greater understanding of how far Salford have come.

All 13 players on the pitch were making their competitive débuts (or day-boos if you're an Aussie) for Salford that day so was always going to be a tough game. Yes we did have a South African camp and 2 pre season friendlies but nothing beats proper all out Rugby.

I'm confident we will get better through out the season as the players gel and understand each other more and we will be able to compete (not necessarily win) with any side in Super League. We need to use this season to build a solid foundation and kick on from there. I think 6th/7th is a realistic prospect for us. Though this season could be interesting and there could only be a few points between 1st and 8th.

Wakefield and London played so far, two expected wins.

Big test this week, which you'll fail to win, long season, may squeeze into the top 10

Wakefield and London played so far, two expected wins.

Big test this week, which you'll fail to win, long season, may squeeze into the top 10

Expected wins? can tell your not a Salford fan! We never expect to win

I am a lifelong Salford fan and would love us to be at the GF this year. I don't expect us to be there this year or even next year. But I might well change my mind by 10pm on Thursday.

Love the direction Salford are going but this squad is never going to be in contention for the big prize.

making their competitive débuts (or day-boos if you're an Aussie).

Always makes me laugh when people say this: the Aussie pronunciation is the correct one!

Do rival fans see salford as genuine Grand Final contenders?? Alot being said about how we will struggle if we get injuries but personally I feel we have a very strong squad, with alot of good young talent. Thoughts?

Yes you are genuine Grand Final contenders. Your first aim this season is to finish in the top 4.

Always makes me laugh when people say this: the Aussie pronunciation is the correct one!

It rather depends whether you are speaking French.  Both are fine, really.

Valet, fillet, etc

wafer thin squad, when chase and hock are serving suspensions and the others start to pick up injuries then they will collapse. too many old men will let them down.

Not this season - new team, squad is two small.  

As a Cas fan, will be interesting to see how Chase goes, exceptional player and has been a joy to watch at Cas. However it all became a bit predictable especially under Millward, also became a real weak link in defense.  

Its early days post Chase but Cas look less predictable without the 'most unpredictable' half back in the league also look more defensively robust. That said we have now got Powell at the helm rather than the clueless Millward!  Interestingly Daz Clarke who has been on fire so far this season alludes to Chase going contributing to his form in a recent interview.  At Salford he has a better half back partner so may be a completely different set up their.

They have made some quality acquisitions though and I think will make the top 8 and produce some good rugby along the way.