Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

And today's Ukip blunder is ...

111 posts in this topic

I don't think she is a loon, just a 100% genuine libertarian. I don't agree with her but she is far from being a nutjob. 

In which case she'll want to do away with border controls and all the "apparatus of the state"

There are plenty of women only services and some gay clubs ban heterosexual people. Don't think the law should ban such practices, though a shop that had a no gay people policy would soon suffer loss of business from a boycott. Personally I wouldn't go near such a shop

On balance I'd say you have to have a reason for refusal (e.g. a men only group or social club is permitted but a shop or restaurant should be open), but there shouldn't be double standards

In which case she'll want to do away with border controls and all the "apparatus of the state"

She may well do, I don't know.

There are plenty of women only services and some gay clubs ban heterosexual people. Don't think the law should ban such practices, though a shop that had a no gay people policy would soon suffer loss of business from a boycott. Personally I wouldn't go near such a shop

On balance I'd say you have to have a reason for refusal (e.g. a men only group or social club is permitted but a shop or restaurant should be open), but there shouldn't be double standards

I'm told that to get into G.A.Y. in London, you have to sign a statement saying that you are gay before they let you in.

I'm told that to get into G.A.Y. in London, you have to sign a statement saying that you are gay before they let you in.

DV8 in Birmingham throw out even bisexual people who pull someone of the opposite gender I'm told.

Was this before or after the Admiral Duncan bombing?

You're told

DV8 in Birmingham throw out even bisexual people who pull someone of the opposite gender I'm told.

and so are you

Told by who? 

You're told

and so are you

Told by who? 

A gay friend of mine who used to go. He often used to take straight friends there (not me though).

Was this before or after the Admiral Duncan bombing?

After but I don't think it was a security thing. It was more a case of "this is a place where gay people can do gay stuff without worrying about other people's reactions".

Did anyone see BBC 1 Question Time last night. It really did  seem as though there were two UKIP plants in the audience...one guy who got up and left and a "older" woman who blamed immigrants for everything.

Did anyone see BBC 1 Question Time last night. It really did  seem as though there were two UKIP plants in the audience...one guy who got up and left and a "older" woman who blamed immigrants for everything.

All parties do this though.  UKIP's lot are just a bit less subtle.  It's a never ending game between the producers and the parties, trying to spot the plants and their questions.

To be fair, I do not imagine many people in the audience lack a strong party affiliation or as undeecided in their political outlook.

You're told

and so are you

Told by who? 

Told by the LGBT representative at the students union when I was there, he was my fellow committee member. Rainbows in Coventry only threw me out for being sick (from alcohol) so think that's reasonable (I was there for a birthday party)

Ages ago I was in this gay pub in Bradford, The Sun, (think it's still open) and was refused service. I was really peed off about this and so kicked up a bit of a fuss as I had naive ideas about treating everyone equal and all that. Turns out that they had a problem with gangs coming in one or two at a time and when they had all come in they would start a big fight and attack people. Once they knew I wasn't like such amoeba they were fine. .I didn't manage to pull though ;)

So I can sometimes understand why certain places have entry restrictions.

After but I don't think it was a security thing. It was more a case of "this is a place where gay people can do gay stuff without worrying about other people's reactions".

I don't have a problem with that to be honest.

I don't have a problem with that to be honest.

Neither did I since I had no interest in going there but my gay colleagues felt that they should be able to go out with selected straight friends.

How can the door staff tell?

Is gaydar that effective?

How can the door staff tell?

Is gaydar that effective?

They can't tell, they just ask you to sign a piece of paper saying that you are gay. Presumably a fair number of people would refuse.

It's all starting to sound a touch spurious now really isn't it

It's all starting to sound a touch spurious now really isn't it

I think we're trying to be a bit too clever here. The policy is fairly easily googled, if you had just made a tiny effort. Here is an article by someone arguing that gay clubs should be allowed to be exclusively gay that admits that gay clubs do refuse entry to those deemed to be straight.

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2011/02/26/why-gay-only-venues-should-have-the-right-to-exist/

At the real risk of derailing this thread ( sorry if it does) but here is genuine question.

What's the difference between bar stipulating Gays only and B&Bs stipulating straight people only?

Not that I condone the latter in any way. I know the latter is due to archaic prejudice and the former is to stop agro due to idiots, but surely the best way is integration not segregation. By all means let people know what type of bar it is so people know what to expect, but banning just plays into the hands of the ignorant.

I think we're trying to be a bit too clever here. The policy is fairly easily googled, if you had just made a tiny effort. Here is an article by someone arguing that gay clubs should be allowed to be exclusively gay that admits that gay clubs do refuse entry to those deemed to be straight.

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2011/02/26/why-gay-only-venues-should-have-the-right-to-exist/

Ok having read that post just as I posted the above, I think I may understand gay people still feel vulnerable and there are idiots out there, but the idiot will cause trouble not matter what, I bet the idiot doesn't try it on with anybody ( regardless of orientation) who looks like they can handle themselves, getting attacked by idiots does not exclusively happen to gays.

At the real risk of derailing this thread ( sorry if it does) but here is genuine question.

What's the difference between bar stipulating Gays only and B&Bs stipulating straight people only?

Not that I condone the latter in any way. I know the latter is due to archaic prejudice and the former is to stop agro due to idiots, but surely the best way is integration not segregation. By all means let people know what type of bar it is so people know what to expect, but banning just plays into the hands of the ignorant.

Legally there is no difference.

Ok having read that post just as I posted the above, I think I may understand gay people still feel vulnerable and there are idiots out there, but the idiot will cause trouble not matter what, I bet the idiot doesn't try it on with anybody ( regardless of orientation) who looks like they can handle themselves, getting attacked by idiots does not exclusively happen to gays.

If you believe blogs and comments then the policy might be somewhat stricter than I suggested with people being turned away for not being camp enough despite insisting that they were gay.