Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob8

Noise Cancelling Headphone

15 posts in this topic

I will be doing some long haul flights and would appreciate advice on noise cancelling head phones.  Are they any good?  Comfortable? Worth buying?  Are the earbud very different to the larger type?

Thanks!

As is always the case; how much are you willing to spend?

Personally, I swear by Soundmagic E10s earbuds, available for under £30. I will clarify, I don;t care for headphones, I find them uncomfortable.

Got a pair of trusty Sennheiser earbuds and a set of Sony wireless full ear things. Both great quality but.the full ear.headphones do make my ears sweaty

As is always the case; how much are you willing to spend?

Personally, I swear by Soundmagic E10s earbuds, available for under £30. I will clarify, I don;t care for headphones, I find them uncomfortable.

Are they good for noise cancelling on a plane?

Are you looking for something to cancel out the warnings of impending doom before the plane plummets thousands of metres and ploughs nose first into a mountain?

Are you going somewhere nice. Have a nice journey! ;)

I have used them on a plane on numerous occasions. They don't remove the hum of the plane, but all other noise is blocked.

A good article to assist you: http://blog.hifiheadphones.co.uk/2013/12/20/noise-cancelling-vs-sound-isolation/

If you want noise-cancelling Digital Silence seem to be one of the leading brands.

Thanks, this is more bewildering than I thought.

I value peace over music quality.

I have some Bose QC15.  Worth every penny.  The 'hum' is much reduced and the general noise is very well suppressed.

Yes, my old Bose - now knocking on ten years old - work a treat on planes.  The difference with and without (even without music) is remarkable.

If you are flying back to the US Bob8, the exchange rate made a huge difference when I bought mine in Chicago.

I had a good set of Philips powered noise cancelling earbud headphones, absolutely outstanding at stopping most noises including planes and trains but they just didn't have good music quality.  I've used Sennheiser earbud heaphones for years and was about to change to those Soundmagic ones based on recommendations from here when my wife treated me to new Sennheiser CX880 ones that have moderately good noise cancelling properties but have excellent sound quality.  The compromise is worth it as when playing music it acts almost as a complete noise cancelling effect, when just sitting with them in though they don't cut out the bigger noises.

Sorry, the obvious one with the somewhat bulky Bose is that they are a bit unwieldy to fall asleep with if that is your thing for flying.  

Mine used to be: get full of gin, on with the Bose, start the nasal symphony, land and off we go. (Often with a gentle, apologetic nod to my fellow travellers - not necessarily Weary Rhino)

(Often with a gentle, apologetic nod to my fellow travellers - not necessarily Weary Rhino)

And to think I named my last son after you!

I do quite a lot of travelling and I've never really tried noise cancelling headphones but I've recently bought a pair of AKG K452 mini headphones which I used on a trip to LA and was really impressed, they bock out a lot of peripheral noise and the sound quality is amazing. They are very comfortable to wear for long periods too.

I hear plenty of good things about the noise-cancelling technology in the Bose phones.

I suppose even they have to build something decent once in a while, even if it is by accident. :P

I value peace over music quality.

Play some Bily Bragg on them, then.