Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolford6

BBC to axe a TV Channel?

82 posts in this topic

The problem I have with this decision is that BBC2/4 serve a very similar, if not identical, audience. What makes it worse is that BBC2 spends a lot of time airing repeats and also news programmes that are also shown on other BBC channels. BBC3, by contrast, serves a distinct audience not catered for elsewhere by the BBC.

No, but "yoof TV" is hardly underrepresented on the commercial channels. If there is a point to the BBC then it is to offer things that ITV, Channel 4 and Sky don't cover.

:D

I had genuinely not seen or heard anything of this story before your post. 

That's possibly because you have better things to do!  :)

(actually, its all a bit nauseating)

No, but "yoof TV" is hardly underrepresented on the commercial channels. If there is a point to the BBC then it is to offer things that ITV, Channel 4 and Sky don't cover.

The BBC needs to cover the full spectrum, pretty much.

If it just did BBC3 type stuff, then you'd claim that is was elitist and unpopular so the licence fee shouldn't be mandatory.

The BBC needs to cover the full spectrum, pretty much.

If it just did BBC3 type stuff, then you'd claim that is was elitist and unpopular so the licence fee shouldn't be mandatory.

I would?

I'm not sure BBC3 could be called "elitist". As far as I can see it is neither catering to a particular underrepresented niche nor very popular. What exactly is the point of it?

I'm not even sure that it could claim to be the BBC's only or even most popular "yoof TV".

But then why allow BBC2/4 replicate one another? 

BBC3 isn't exactly "yoof tv" in the sense of many cable/satellite channels that are available. But in comparison to commercial channels, I cannot think of one show on ITV that I watch. Channel 4, yes, there's a few. Sky I don't have but when I did it was simply for sport and Sky Atlantic. BBC3 has some good shows, even if the titles sometimes sound like they were designed to upset the Daily Mail.

But then why allow BBC2/4 replicate one another? 

I don't think they do. BBC4 shows a lot of programmes that weren't being made before digital TV. BBC2 shows repeats and stuff that isn't quite popular enough to be put on BBC1.

I don't think they do. BBC4 shows a lot of programmes that weren't being made before digital TV. BBC2 shows repeats and stuff that isn't quite popular enough to be put on BBC1.

Lots of documentaries, etc on both channels. If not replicate then they at least cater to the same audience.

Lots of documentaries, etc on both channels. If not replicate then they at least cater to the same audience.

The audience is defined by the topic of the documentary. BBC4 covers music in a way that no other BBC channel does.

BBC4 shows a lot of programmes that weren't being made before digital TV. 

Storyville used to be on BBC2.  Michael Wood walking around somewhere talking about something old used to be on BBC 2.  Art documentaries, BBC 2.  Opera, BBC 2.  Old Grey Whistle Test and associated programming, BBC 2. Lightweight, airy takes on specific subjects, BBCs 1 & 2.  Arena, BBC 2.  And so on ...

BBC4 covers music in a way that no other BBC channel does.

And yet it's still less than the BBC used to show.

And yet it's still less than the BBC used to show.

When did they ever show much blues?

BBC 2 should run a late-night music show each day building up to Later, each time that series is on.

These should be short and genre-specific while Later tries to cover more bases in a longer time slot.

I'm not the biggest fan of Later to be honest but while it's on it should be supported by a stronger music offer.

Something like urban, rock, indie and roots for example. 

When did they ever show much blues?

In specific seasons like they do now.

BBC 2 should run a late-night music show each day building up to Later, each time that series is on.

These should be short and genre-specific while Later tries to cover more bases in a longer time slot.

I'm not the biggest fan of Later to be honest but while it's on it should be supported by a stronger music offer.

Something like urban, rock, indie and roots for example. 

Hang on.  Later's on BBC 2.  But Northern Sol is insistent that BBC Four is the go-to music station and there's no audience overlap.

Hang on.  Later's on BBC 2.  But Northern Sol is insistent that BBC Four is the go-to music station and there's no audience overlap.

Oh yeah all music is just "music". Like rugby is just "rugby". Why should you be annoyed that the SLS isn't on the Beeb, you've got the six nations to watch? It's not like there is no overlap and maybe they'll do a rugby league special every decade or so.

BBC4 does blues, r&b, soul etc very, very well. I would not like to see that go just because Later might have the occasional blues band on. That's nice but there's nothing there that I couldn't get from youtube. An excellent docu recently on Chess records.

What does BBC2 offer? TOTP2 with Status Quo!

Oh yeah all music is just "music". Like rugby is just "rugby". Why should you be annoyed that the SLS isn't on the Beeb, you've got the six nations to watch? It's not like there is no overlap and maybe they'll do a rugby league special every decade or so.

BBC4 does blues, r&b, soul etc very, very well. I would not like to see that go just because Later might have the occasional blues band on. That's nice but there's nothing there that I couldn't get from youtube. An excellent docu recently on Chess records.

BBC4 have been showing repeats of TOTP for a couple of years now.

...and BBC2 haven't shown TOTP for ages.

BBC1:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03xcbrp/Top_of_the_Pops_09_03_1979/

BBC2:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03j113z/TOTP2_Status_Quo/

BBC4

not found: you can look through the music category yourself:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/categories/music?page=1

I don't need to, I've seen it on there myself. BBC4 have been showing 25 year old TOTP for about two years now. 

I don't know what those station idents are doing on the main image, but if you click on the 'more programme information' link, it says both of those were broadcast on BBC4. Odd.

I don't know what those station idents are doing on the main image, but if you click on the 'more programme information' link, it says both of those were broadcast on BBC4. Odd.

Probably because they were originally broadcast on BBC1 and BBC2. Those are the channels responsible for making such rubbish. 

None of that would go though.  If this had been properly thought through it would have kept what was unique about BBC Three (which much of it is, but you keep calling it "Yoof TV" like it's something Janet Street Porter did) and given their other channels a useful identity.

But they haven't so the issue of exactly what BBC Four's purpose is won't go away and when it next comes up there won't be a sacrificial BBC Three to shut down instead.

Strange, that.For as we all now know, its your role model moneybags Blair who is the one who is closest to the  Murdochs.

“Whatever why I’m so so missing Tony. Because he is so so charming and his clothes are so good. He has such good body and he has really really good legs Butt . . . And he is slim tall and good skin. Pierce blue eyes which I love. Love his eyes. Also I love his power on the stage . . . and what else and what else and what else . . . ”

http://www.vanityfair.com/society/2014/03/wendi-deng-note-tony-blair

Why do you have to be so personal John?  It's common knowledge that Blair cozied up to Murdoch, but it's also common knowledge that Murdoch wanted the BBC to be hamstrung and Cameron obliged almost as soon as he got into power.  For one man to have such power over our leaders surely must be seen as a bad thing for our democracy.

None of that would go though.  If this had been properly thought through it would have kept what was unique about BBC Three (which much of it is, but you keep calling it "Yoof TV" like it's something Janet Street Porter did) and given their other channels a useful identity.

But they haven't so the issue of exactly what BBC Four's purpose is won't go away and when it next comes up there won't be a sacrificial BBC Three to shut down instead.

I think BBC4 is the channel (aside from BBC1) with the clearest identity. I'm not really sure why it is in question.

BBC3 might have stuff that isn't Porteresque but it doesn't float my boat. As far as I can see, it's mainly comedies that wouldn't otherwise have been commissioned. I, for one, do not think Little Britain should ever have been commissioned.

BBC3 mades sense as a place to try shows that might be rubbish without bothering decent God-fearing folk.  However, they can use iPlayer for that now.