Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markismith50

Newcastle Falcons RU trying to buy Gateshead Thunder

118 posts in this topic

This would be the first ever RU club to own a RL club, right?

There was the Harlequins link-up for a while, but in terms of outright ownership I am not aware of a precedent.

There was the Harlequins link-up for a while, but in terms of outright ownership I am not aware of a precedent.

I can't recall whether Harlequins RU owned any part of Harlequins RL or not.

Not as far as I am aware. More a case of an attempt at expanding the Harlequins brand.

Not as far as I am aware. More a case of an attempt at expanding the Harlequins brand.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Moderation note:  I will leave this here as it has genuine importance as a rugby league story.  The first whiny or over-critical post about union sees it moved to the purgatory that is the cross-code forum.

The falcons owner seems to have plenty of money so it might be a good move for Gateshead,Kingston park is also a cracking stadium with good facilities.

The falcons owner seems to have plenty of money so it might be a good move for Gateshead,Kingston park is also a cracking stadium with good facilities.

A stable home base would be a good thing for the Thunder.

They didn't.  It was up to Harlequins RL to prove their value and at some point Harlequin FC might then have taken an interest.

Andy Wilson mentioned something about this a week or two ago. I'm not sure what to make of this - would appear it might be good news in the short term, I shall remain suspicious beyond that though! Time will tell..

I have an inherent distrust of RU, but even so I still can't see what Newcastle get out of this.

I used to be a share holder in Thunder Mk2 and would welcome this move. The Newcastle Journal article is typical of the local media - supportive of all sports clubs in the area and quite balanced.

The Thunderdome is a dire venue for football or league and Newcastle's ground is pretty tidy too. Brings back memories of 1999 and Thunder having larger crowds and media profile than the Falcons, as well as the more recent promotion winning team playing in Newcastle on occasion too.

Kingston Park looks, from what I can tell, like a pretty decent place to put down roots. it appears to have its own Metro station, too.

Direct reference to P&R being a factor in the decision.

It's an interesting reference in that they then say they've got no plans to mount an assault on Super League!  I suspect they think the level would be as a solid Championship club and can see that being helpful in getting year-round use out of the stadium.

Northumbria University own the ground I think, and might even be in with the Falcons too. Regardless there are great RL links with the University that would be strengthened from this takeover. Although the Falcons are not being altruistic with all this, there's nothing sinister either. League and Union co-exist ok in the North East from what I recall.

This has to be good news for Gateshead

Very interesting that the return of P&R is one of the factors that make it attractive to The Falcons.

It's an interesting reference in that they then say they've got no plans to mount an assault on Super League!  I suspect they think the level would be as a solid Championship club and can see that being helpful in getting year-round use out of the stadium.

It says they will not mount an instant assault on Super League, which is quite different from your statement.

It says they will not mount an instant assault on Super League, which is quite different from your statement.

"The chances of those days returning are not uppermost in the Falcons’ thinking in terms of acquiring the rugby league outfit"

a worry would be if Newcastle ever got into difficulties or a problem with renewing their lease and then it'd be a case of looking through expenditures and "what the heck have we got a Rugby League team for?"Plug pulled,no club. I'd prefer all RL clubs to be in the hands of people whose interest is RL. But as they say beggars can't be choosers. More will come out tomorrow no doubt, think the rugger chap in the local paper is doing a piece and the Thunder EGM is tomorrow night.

Would this be comparable to the coexistence situation at Leeds?

Financially it makes sense - if their concern is getting the most out of the ground and facilities all year round.  Maybe the intention is to nail this issue first and then develop a route into SL, when economic stability allows?

Would they have to change their name to Newcastle thunder or Newcastle falcons RFLC?

Would they have to change their name to Newcastle thunder or Newcastle falcons RFLC?

How about the Thunderbirds.................see what I did there :ph34r: