Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markismith50

Newcastle Falcons RU trying to buy Gateshead Thunder

118 posts in this topic

I have an inherent distrust of RU, but even so I still can't see what Newcastle get out of this.

It depends on the actual details I guess. At the very least it would increase financial revenue, get greater use of their facilities and access to Gateshead Thunder's community connections. .

It's an interesting reference in that they then say they've got no plans to mount an assault on Super League!  I suspect they think the level would be as a solid Championship club and can see that being helpful in getting year-round use out of the stadium.

The Journal understands the Falcons are harbouring no grand ambitions of mounting an instant assault on Super League, but the resumption of promotion and relegation to the code’s top division this year was a key marker in their decision to consider a takeover.

The Journal understands the Falcons are harbouring no grand ambitions of mounting an instant assault on Super League, but the resumption of promotion and relegation to the code’s top division this year was a key marker in their decision to consider a takeover.

That sort of suggests they are taking the long-term view. Not very RL of them... ;) 

That sort of suggests they are taking the long-term view. Not very RL of them... ;)

It's rare for anybody to take over anything in sport without some level of hyperbole.  This is quite refreshing.

Kingston Park looks, from what I can tell, like a pretty decent place to put down roots. it appears to have its own Metro station, too.

And only 5 minutes from the A1

Kingston Park is a superb venue, 3 stops on the Metro from the airport, 2-min drive from the A1, plenty of seating, standing, bars and corporate boxes for those inclined.

I'm there most weeks covering the Falcons games for the local rags, and it's a good set-up.

Kingston Park is a superb venue, 3 stops on the Metro from the airport, 2-min drive from the A1, plenty of seating, standing, bars and corporate boxes for those inclined.

I'm there most weeks covering the Falcons games for the local rags, and it's a good set-up.

as the man on the spot can you illuminate us any further on what's what?

Not a direct takeover but Leeds carnegie and the Rhino's are owned by the same person are they not? And of course both play at Headingley. P&R mentioned as a positive reason for this interest. His could potentally open the flood gates for more tie-ins. Good news me thinks.

Don't Doncaster Rovers AFC own the Dons now? Also we were looking at Maesteg potentially taking on our club from the WRL at some point in the future .

"as the man on the spot can you illuminate us any further on what's what?"

In terms of what?

Ask me a specific question and I'll do my best. Do you mean illuminate on the stadium, or the takeover?

As a former player with Gateshead I understand that there has been cooperation between the clubs for a long time now and I am not at all surprised by the latest developments. I think a link up with the Falcons is the boost the sport needs in the north east especially with the lack of rugby league staff in the region now.

I would be interested to see how things work now from an ownership point of view as I thought when the club reformed after the last owner pulled out in October 2009, they put a covenant in the constitution that no one owner could have majority control to avoid a majority backer pulling out and leaving the club high and dry again.

Seems to be some encouraging things happening at Championship 1 level .Lets hope it leads to formation of a few more teams-and we can get a northern and southern section.

"as the man on the spot can you illuminate us any further on what's what?"

In terms of what?

Ask me a specific question and I'll do my best. Do you mean illuminate on the stadium, or the takeover?

what are their plans, are they happy for the RL team to be in Champ 1?Are they going to put money into getting them into SL2? Saying that the P&R aspect is what clinches it has to suggest they see Super League as a destination, there already is P&R between the lower two divisions, but then they simultaneously play that down. Do they see this as a way of making money for the Falcons and if so how? Are they going to be called Gateshead Thunder, Newcastle Falcons, Newcastle Thunder etc. If the sale goes through will they move to Kingston Park this season?  Why are they doing it? Covering the bills during the summer doesn't seem that feasible at the moment. Are the RL team going to be fully owned by the Falcons or is it a case of having the same owner, being packaged as the same but in fact being two different entities. If the Falcons do move from Kingston Park & rent somewhere else that can't accommodate another team playing during the summer what do you think might happen - if indeed, there is any likelihood of them moving at all. And, what are the pies like?

I am also a former shareholder of Thunder Mk 2 and was involved with the group that kept interest going when Hetherington took the Club to Hull, and am delighted with this news. Kingston Park is a much better venue than the Int Stadium and also has a large carpark next to the ground. If this comes off, and I see no reason why it shouldn't, then the future could be very bright. I would suggest that the Falcons main involvement would be marketing, sponsorship and admin, with the first two giving Thunder a big boost. If this comes off, I will certainly be paying a few visits to Kingston Park.

This makes sense for both clubs. Nowhere is rugby in more of a shadow than Newcastle.

Nice ground...should benefit their kicking skills also...

I would prefer Newcastle to have an additional team....instant derby....

quins got interested in RL when they were relegated....then they seemed to grow as the RL diminished. ...they promised player swops etc....

at leeds the tykes (I know) are very much the junior club even being told to play matches at hunslet? If the rhinos started going backwards then investment would be pulled back to their core business which is RL...

all in all Gateshead have stabilised at their level and now need to organically grow at their own pace....

there is nothing stopping Newcastle forming another semi pro team to enter champ1.....

More teams at all levels will help grow the game up there....not pushing out established locals probably pushing them into semi pro union!

Story in the Newcastle Journal today revealing Premiership rugby union club Newcastle Falcons are pursuing a takeover of Gateshead Thunder. http://bit.ly/NTzXZs

Thanks for confirming you are the Mark Smith of the Journal who posts on the Falcons forum on Sports network.  I hope the "nutty turn out" here regarding all things Union, does not put you off adding some insight on to what is a very encouraging development for Gateshead Thunder.

I can't recall whether Harlequins RU owned any part of Harlequins RL or not.

The original idea was that there would be a three year period after which Harlequins RUFC would decide if they wanted to takeover the running of the Rugby League Club. The decision in 2008 was no, on the same basis that Fulham FC, Charlton Athletic FC and Barnet FC rejected or will reject joint ownership in that fans of the Union / Soccer club would rip into the Directors for diverting money away from the club to prop up a declining RL side. Sir John Hall's "Newcastle Sporting Club" fell apart for similar reasons as I am sure Mark Smith will explain. 

I'd welcome this.

We are agreed, much more of this and I will have to stop posting on this forum ;)

can you imagine a time when most rugby league/union clubs are just ' rugby' clubs? league in summer, union in winter. they could share facilities, players, fans, income. I believe this could be the way forward for rugby(both codes).

can you imagine a time when most rugby league/union clubs are just ' rugby' clubs? league in summer, union in winter. they could share facilities, players, fans, income. I believe this could be the way forward for rugby(both codes).

I don't know if this is the future, but RL/RU tie ups are more like the past.

IIRC Wigan dabbled with Orrell??  Wire and Saints were tipped to tie with Sale at one point, certainly Bradford were chasing Wakefield RU, Broncos became Quins, Leicester had a long period of threatening to start and RL team etc etc.

No brave new worlds there, one way or another it all fell apart or never got going in the first place. Nothing new as this isn't the first time that it's been floated that Gateshead play at the RU ground, this is the second time. First time round Newcastle were doing well, now they have all on not to become a second tier club never mind back Gateshead all the way to SL.

But try to look beyond the hype and what you may find is the serious point that Gateshead's rent money and bar takings just may help "prop" an ailing RU club.

in the future this will happen

Just out of interest - are Newcastle Falcons still thinking of getting a plastic pitch at Kingston Park?

Interesting how apparently promotion and relegation made them more interested.