Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

Eating a sandwich in the army = a barbaric practice

32 posts in this topic

I think the point is more along the lines of getting the small things right and the big ones look after themselves to an extent. I saw a documentary on the French Foreign Legion once and one of the senior NCOs said that the point of flogging them for not fastening their button on their uniform was that attention to detail angle. He said if a cadet forgets to fasten his button, he could easily not put the safety catch on his weapon.

I've never been in the forces but I imagine that standing up when a superior walks in the room should be normal practice,. This is unless my good friend Major Geordie Saint can advise to the contrary. :-)

I've never been in the forces but I imagine that standing up when a superior walks in the room should be normal practice,. This is unless my good friend Major Geordie Saint can advise to the contrary. :-)

The mess tends to be different.

Eating with hands, like the natives, is the primary reason we lost the Empire, don't you know! If you can't eat a banana with a knife and fork, frankly, you don't deserve an empire!

My wife's cousin went to a french finishing school and eats all her fruit with a knife and fork.

It really does come to something when a frenchy has to show our chaps the way.

My wife's cousin went to a french finishing school and eats all her fruit with a knife and fork.

Seeing as the French never wash I am not surprised that they don't want to use their hands to eat....... :ph34r:

...but she's baffled by a toilet that isn't just a hole in the floor?

My wife's cousin went to a french finishing school

Can we meet her some time?  see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187022/  Not a badly made flick and quite an eye popping viewing, definitely put this one on your list.

I've never been in the forces but I imagine that standing up when a superior walks in the room should be normal practice.

That tends to be tradition in the 'posher' Battalion/Regimental Messes... i.e. Cavalry, RIFLES, SCOTS (Cowan is former Black Watch) and RHA units. It is much less common in most Army units.

Response from some 'subordinate' from the Bulford Mess on ARRSE:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/gen-cowans-edict-a-reply.211041/