Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jasper

Barraco Barner - The President Of Britain

46 posts in this topic

To be fair a lot of Londoners think London is the country! :)

It might as well be because the wealth gap between London and surrounding areas with that of the north is huge, and it's getting bigger all the time.

I couldn't name the prime minister of Spain.

A lot of Scottish people seem to think London is a country

Come to think of it I couldn't name the prime minister of Spain but the UK is more prominent than Spain or you'd like to think it with Americans what with the "special relationship" and all that.

It might as well be because the wealth gap between London and surrounding areas with that of the north is huge, and it's getting bigger all the time.

Indeed. There's a very good programme about this very subject here, with part two on BBC2 tonight.

productive textile  predictive text?

Gemma says the misspelling was down to the 'auto-correct' on her phone 

see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2577055/Stupid-Ive-got-17-GCSEs-says-girl-thought-Barraco-Barner-President-An-audience-beauty-salon-receptionist-story-speaks-volumes-modern-Britain.html

Another forum house of cards?

She has five GCSE's, now she has seventeen GCSE's, it was auto corrects fault, now it was on purpose, and of course, auto correct always calls President Barner the president of Britain.

What's the betting she will be in the next celebrity big brother programme. 

What's the betting the forum has jumped to totally the wrong conclusion..again?  It seems to me that the whole thing has been a typically fact-free zone, allowing poster to believe what they want to believe.

The original Telegraph article as far as  I can see did not mention "5 GCSEs" nor did it quote the poor girl as saying that  Obama  was "President of the UK" 

So yes, a house of cards. End of....innit.... :tongue:

What's the betting the forum has jumped to totally the wrong conclusion..again?  It seems to me that the whole thing has been a typically fact-free zone, allowing poster to believe what they want to believe.

The original Telegraph article as far as  I can see did not mention "5 GCSEs" nor did it quote the poor girl as saying that  Obama  was "President of the UK" 

So yes, a house of cards. End of....innit.... :tongue:

I'm JohnM and I'm here, of you I don't fear

So I might offend you by bending your ear.

It's my one joy in life - you can like it or not

You can't get an answer in edgeways? I don't give a jot

I've railed and I've raved since my 60's began

It's my privilege because I'm the 'always right' man

You just know he's going to get the last word in don't you  ;)

20 years ago, even 10, she'd have at the worst been the subject of rolled eyes from a friend who she said it to.  Now she's the target of one hell of a lot of commentary from people who don't know her and who've never messed up themselves.

Some of the bullying and threats she's received are just outrageous and far more indicative of a messed up mind.  Mentioning it and talking about it to others, like we're doing on this forum, is fair enough as it has plenty of discussion opportunities but to threaten someone's life or go out of your way to bully this person is just ridiculous.

Indeed. There's a very good programme about this very subject here, with part two on BBC2 tonight.

Execellant, I'll be watching that tonight.

20 years ago, even 10, she'd have at the worst been the subject of rolled eyes from a friend who she said it to.  Now she's the target of one hell of a lot of commentary from people who don't know her and who've never messed up themselves.

Some of the bullying and threats she's received are just outrageous and far more indicative of a messed up mind.  Mentioning it and talking about it to others, like we're doing on this forum, is fair enough as it has plenty of discussion opportunities but to threaten someone's life or go out of your way to bully this person is just ridiculous.

I think most people who use social media have no idea how predatory it is. All the idiots are just looking for other idiots/sops to hide behind. 

Naievity however, is not an excuse.

A lot of Scottish people seem to think London is a country

Evidence? I not come across any, although there are a fair few who think it has the powers of a country. Don't many people in the rest of the UK also think that, though?

I couldn't name the prime minister of Spain.

Now, believe it or not, that is something that many Scots would know. It's Cameron's wee chum, that radge that's full of joy.

I'm JohnM and I'm here, of you I don't fear

So I might offend you by bending your ear.

It's my one joy in life - you can like it or not

You can't get an answer in edgeways? I don't give a jot

I've railed and I've raved since my 60's began

It's my privilege because I'm the 'always right' man

You just know he's going to get the last word in don't you ;)

No. Not at all. .....oops.....

Good to see that everyone on this thread has got every fact and bit of punctuation correct.

Anyway, Grace Dent has nailed it.

(I don't always agree with la Dent but she's usually worth reading.)

.) is an Americanism, proper Britons write ).

Aside from that we all make mistakes but that doesn't mean that we can't facepalm at breathtaking stupidity.

Dent seems to have spectacularly missed the point- misspelling Barack Obama is forgivable but believing him to be President of the UK is shocking.

.) is an Americanism, proper Britons write ).

Aside from that we all make mistakes but that doesn't mean that we can't facepalm at breathtaking stupidity.

Dent seems to have spectacularly missed the point- misspelling Barack Obama is forgivable but believing him to be President of the UK is shocking.

Yes, I agree with much of what she is saying, but it isn't really pedantry to pull this girl's point.

Yes, I agree with much of what she is saying, but it isn't really pedantry to pull this girl's point.

It's not  but some of the ways it has been reported as being done seem to have gone a long way beyond mere pedantry.

I'm quite glad there wasn't the opportunity to broadcast my own stupidity to the world 30 years ago and I'm sure a lot of us would have a similar view, we all do and say foolish things in our youth but this generation is finding it can reach a much wider audience.

I'm quite glad there wasn't the opportunity to broadcast my own stupidity to the world 30 years ago

It's never too late to start making up for lost time.

;):tongue:;)

It's never too late to start making up for lost time.

;):tongue:;)

I'll set 'em up, you knock 'em in  :D

It's not but some of the ways it has been reported as being done seem to have gone a long way beyond mere pedantry.

I'm quite glad there wasn't the opportunity to broadcast my own stupidity to the world 30 years ago and I'm sure a lot of us would have a similar view, we all do and say foolish things in our youth but this generation is finding it can reach a much wider audience.

Spelling and grammar aside, I am pretty sure I would never have called the president of the USA 'our leader' or whatever.

'Tis said, and I have no evidence whatsoever, that this current generation is the first ever to be less well educated than their grandparents.

'Tis said, and I have no evidence whatsoever, that this current generation is the first ever to be less well educated than their grandparents.

I don't agree with it. I think what constitutes "education" has changed dramatically. Standards may well have fallen in some core subjects but the youth of today study things that their grandparents could never have imagined (and not just the technology).