Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roughyedspud

"Pom" watch

290 posts in this topic

Does that mean who are below par?

I've been able to watch every game so far except for one and half of another. I caught those on the radio. I think it's clear most teams are playing or have played well below what they're capable of. I'm not convinced by any team yet.

I'll also clear up that I don't believe inconsistency is the same as non competitive. This year's comp is clearly very competitive so far. Just ask anyone trying to tip it.

Does that mean who are below par?

I've been able to watch every game so far except for one and half of another. I caught those on the radio. I think it's clear most teams are playing or have played well below what they're capable of. I'm not convinced by any team yet.

I'll also clear up that I don't believe inconsistency is the same as non competitive. This year's comp is clearly very competitive so far. Just ask anyone trying to tip it.

One thing that is missing from this argument is the new rules , and I believe that they have radically changed the landscape and the shape of the NRL, the apparent inconsistencies and upsets are primarily driven by the rules in my humble opinion. 

i haven't see a more uncertain interpretation of a rule revolution since the switch from the five meter rule.

Even Refs are struggling , their instinct is to not allow the quick tap....and we're seeing pedantic rulings which go entirely against the quick tap concept. 

Some teams are adjusting to the rules better than others , largely because the rules suit the type of roster they have and you have to factor in some reluctance from last years most successful teams to go away from what was working for them.

The smaller forward packs are finding themselves competitive against the big boys off the back of seven tackle options and sped up play.

The Roosters Manly game was the exception that proves the rule....two teams with big packs sticking to their keep it tight systems from 2013.

Put the Roosters against the Broncos  who have adapted to the new rules well ( Small pack , interchangeable Prop/ secound rower types ) and we see the Bronco's go close to beating the Roosters.

The Tigers Rabbitohs game is the strongest argument for the point I'm trying to paint here , the Tigers mobile pack out played the biggest forward pack in the comp because of the way the new rules change the fifth tackle kicks to keeping the ball in play......end to end scramble.......

It's early days , too early to judge how permanent the new rules effect will determine what player prototype survives.

But things are leaning towards change....the same change that saw the ten meter rule make the George Roses of the comp a rarity......there was a time every team had a George rose , Marty Bella , Steve Roach , Sam Backo.

Seven tackles is the type of evolution that a team like the Warriors  " The greatest Rugby league Circus you have ever seen " according to Vossy....will thrive under.

The dragons with their tiny lean mobile forwards are winning the NRL under the new rules while others have to make an adjustment.

Just seen the interesting article on Boots 'n' all tonight about Jordan Baldwinson's start to his career playing for the NZ Warriors 20's (not reserve grade as Eddie Hemmings kept saying). It sounds like he is going well and is enjoying life out there.

Surprisingly, there was no mention of Mason Tonks, Baldwinson's Leeds Academy team mate, not even by his old coach Barrie McDermott sat in the studio. I know Tonks appeared in the first Holden Cup game of the year, but he seems to have dropped off the radar since then.

Can any of our Kiwi friends update us. Is he injured? Was he dropped by Stacey Jones?

Just seen the interesting article on Boots 'n' all tonight about Jordan Baldwinson's start to his career playing for the NZ Warriors 20's (not reserve grade as Eddie Hemmings kept saying). It sounds like he is going well and is enjoying life out there.

Surprisingly, there was no mention of Mason Tonks, Baldwinson's Leeds Academy team mate, not even by his old coach Barrie McDermott sat in the studio. I know Tonks appeared in the first Holden Cup game of the year, but he seems to have dropped off the radar since then.

Can any of our Kiwi friends update us. Is he injured? Was he dropped by Stacey Jones?

Saw that on Boots n All and thought it odd how Tonks was never mentioned. However, Mason Tonks has actually been named in the starting line up for the Holden Cup game against Cronulla on Saturday. Baldwinson is on the bench. From what I can gather looking at one of the Kiwi forums, the Warriors tend to rotate the players at that level. 

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news/2014/04/01/nyc_round_5_aiming_for_three_on_end.html

Thanks for that thirteenthman. Good to see Tonks in the side this weekend.

Maybe he was just a bit camera shy!

Mason Tonks had been struggling ( past tense obviously as he is in for this weekends game ).

Baldwinson found it pretty tough going as well initially but he is coming along nicely now ( I watched his game V the Tigers last week , he had a high work rate ) he needs to keep the high output going to make a point of difference between him and some of the Really Big u20's Forwards.

I'm pretty sure Sam Tomkins was wrong when he said Jordan had played in every game , he and Tonks were picked in round one....the team got thumped and they were both dropped.

The following week the Team got thumped again and Baldwinson was picked to travel to North Queensland where they routed the Cowboys U20's side.

A Narrow win to the Warriors U20's team over the Tigers last week has them tracking in the same way as the Top side ( two wins from four games ). 

Looking forward to seeing how Mason Tonks goes. There is a lot of pressure to make that highly successful U20's side ( the comps been running four years , the Warriors won the first two years in a row , made the Grand final last year...have been in the top four for the entire four years).

They have the best record in the NRL. There are clubs lining up to snap some of those players off the Warriors ( one prop may have signed with Newcastle ).

The Leeds boys have come at an ideal time , half of the Under twenties team are playing in the Next level up ( the NSW cup ) so there is spaces for them to hold onto tot their Jerseys.

Cheers my smart. It's good to see both lads getting game time.

To be honest I thought both might struggle to establish themselves over there as one thing the Warriors are never short of at any level is back rowers. I hope both can make a good fist of their opportunity. Whatever happens, playing in the Holden Cup can only improve them as players.

Well in todays game Sam Tomkins well out played Billy Slater and won man of the match.

The first of many times lets hope!

He really has started to settle in now the last few games!

Well in todays game Sam Tomkins well out played Billy Slater and won man of the match.

Impossible!

How can that be so when he's English?

It's only a matter of time until the likes of Slater and Smith start declining. They're in their thirties now and can't play like supermen forever. Hopefully it will be during the Four Nations!

It's only a matter of time until the likes of Slater and Smith start declining. They're in their thirties now and can't play like supermen forever. Hopefully it will be during the Four Nations!

Slater definitely is already declining. There are at least 3 Aussie full backs I'd pick ahead of him, although Sheens seems certain to continue to keep picking Billy for the time being.

Match report here - note also "28, 716 people – the biggest ever NRL crowd at AAMI Park"  :)

Hang on Sam Tomkins has been the Warriors best player in the last 3 games? He's English and too small to hack it in the NRL for goodness sake.

Tomkins best game in the NRL. He was excellent.

Could be interesting in the Four Nations this year.

Hang on Sam Tomkins has been the Warriors best player in the last 3 games? He's English and too small to hack it in the NRL for goodness sake.

And he was produced by the largely inferior Super League!

Tomkins clicking into top gear,graham superb last week,Sam and George Burgess outstanding against the Broncos,Widdop and Cooper going well at St George,not bad considering us Poms can't play the game.

I didn't think Tomkins was particularly sparkling yesterday and I certainly wouldn't have given him MOM over Shaun Johnson.

I didn't think Tomkins was particularly sparkling yesterday and I certainly wouldn't have given him MOM over Shaun Johnson.

That makes two of us.

Possibly his best game so far with ball in hand and his short kicking game was good as well. He still looked suspect under the high ball and I thought he was out of position for at least 2 of the Storm tries.

Not having a go at Sam, I'm a big fan and it's good to see him improving each week, but I was very surprised he was given MOM.

He looked safer under the high ball than Australia's no 1 billy slater and the fact he was doing a lot of the organising/kicking duties frees up Johnson,as for his positioning being responsible for at least 3 Melbourne tries,you must have watched another game.

That makes two of us.

Possibly his best game so far with ball in hand and his short kicking game was good as well. He still looked suspect under the high ball and I thought he was out of position for at least 2 of the Storm tries.

Not having a go at Sam, I'm a big fan and it's good to see him improving each week, but I was very surprised he was given MOM.

The doubts about Tomkins have never been about the quality of his attacking work. It is world class. His Achilles heel is his defence especially under the high ball.

He looked safer under the high ball than Australia's no 1 billy slater and the fact he was doing a lot of the organising/kicking duties frees up Johnson,as for his positioning being responsible for at least 3 Melbourne tries,you must have watched another game.

Not much to beat in terms of looking better than Slater under the high ball. Billy has been poor this year, he doesn't look fully fit to me. His form doesn't warrant selection for either Australia or Quuensland but no doubt he will be picked.

For the Proctor try Tomkins was involved in the proceeding tackle on the line. When the ball was played he tried to rush out to the first receiver instead of sweeping around the back to assist Townend who was left with a one on one tackle. He is often left flat footed in defence and it appeared he had not read the play well for Storms second try in the corner, he was nowhere to be seen.

I agree the combination with Johnson looks to be developing well. McFadden appears to want Tomkins to operate more at first and second man than Elliott did and hence this is taking a lot of the pressure off Johnson's shoulders.

I had no problem with Sam getting MOM over Shaun.

They were close in their overall contribution in that game....Shauns footwork and passing set up the offensive winning of the game .....but on the otherside of the coin when Sam deliberately Targeted Bill with an in goal kick to the corner which he chased up and Rolled Bill out....that was a confidence hit at the heart of his opposite.

There was a in goal kick that Sam put on in the same half that got the Warriors another repeat set....that stuff certainly freed up Shaun to cut holes in the Storm Line.

Sams been building for a few weeks now. he's also playing behind a Warriors team that looks ready to make its yearly run at the comp.

I hope that's the case...when the Warriors fire like that the likes of Sam Tomkins can play off that very physical ad lib Warrior style of confidence play and take apart any team in the NRL.

No spoilers

Canberra played the Warriors Ive just gotten home from the park ( helps living next door to Eden Park )

Sam Tomkins went Nuclear tonight......it matters not the result....he destroyed his opposite......prodigy Anthony Milford.

That places Sam well outside League freaks order

Here's my order :

Hayne.....defeated Tomkins

Tomkins  defeated Tedessco

Tomkins  defeated Dugan

Tomkins  defeated Slater

Tomkins  defeated Milford.

Sam gets a rematch with Hayne this year

He gets a run at G.I too

At this rate he is in line to take a spot from either Hayne or G.I or both

Kevin Locke played hooker for the first time in his life tonight......

He was excellent considering it's his first game of the NRL season and his first ever game at dummy half.

I think saying Tomkins defeated Dugan is a bit far I think they were evenly matched. Both played very well over the two games.

Tomkins today was very very good today. His ball handling and passing game is the best of any full back by some distance IMO. The passes he did for a few of the Warriors tries Hurrell on the right and I think Vatuvei finished two off on the left from Tomkins brilliance although I may be wrong.

He's been on top form these last 4 games. I think he is finally starting to look comfortable. I think for the first 5 games he was very good in attack but shaky in other aspects in the game. Now I'd say he is very good in attack but comfortable in other aspects of the game.

Hopefully his form continues.